My Grand Canyon Challenge

Is the Grand Canyon a misnomer of science?

• Total voters

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to Wikipedia:

A canyon ... is a deep cleft between escarpments or cliffs resulting from weathering and the erosive activity of a river over geologic time scales.

SOURCE

If the Grand Canyon appeared in Peleg's lifetime, then I submit "Grand Canyon" is a misnomer.

Thoughts?

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'll respond here since this is your only challenge (I still think you need to come up with a better term since they're not really challenges. Thought experiments, yes, but not challenges) that I actually like right from the off.

In the context you provide: that the Grand Canyon formed from the supposed split of the continents from Pangea during the time of Peleg, yes, calling the Grand Canyon a canyon would be a misnomer since canyons are formed, and this is something that can be observed in real time, through the weathering and erosive activity of rivers.

What you continually propose in your claim about it being formed from the mass split of the single massive supercontinent into the current ones we have is not workable with what we see from the evidence. A split such as what your suggest would have MASSIVE evidence, such as major faults appearing the geography and geology around it, plus massive catastrophic evidence in the rocks from the force and energy needed to create such an act. Nothing of which we see around the Grand Canyon.

Also, mass catastrophes do not create meandering rivers.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the context you provide: that the Grand Canyon formed ...

What you continually propose in your claim about it being formed ...

I don't think the Grand Canyon [sic] "formed."

I think it was created in a man's lifetime: possibly in an instance of time.

You wouldn't tear a shirt, then claim the rip "formed," would you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the Grand Canyon [sic] "formed."

I think it was created in a man's lifetime: possible in an instance of time.

You wouldn't tear a shirt, then claim the rip "formed," would you?

Yeah, now see... here's where any argument with you falls apart. You always have this "God made everything instantaneously" claim to fall back on, which is not what we see in the real world. But you invoke it like it's a shield to protect yourself from critique.

And technically, tearing a rip is forming a rip since you're creating one. Creating and forming are synonyms.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, now see... here's where any argument with you falls apart. You always have this "God made everything instantaneously" claim to fall back on, which is not what we see in the real world. But you invoke it like it's a shield to protect yourself from critique.

And technically, tearing a rip is forming a rip since you're creating one. Creating and forming are synonyms.

Care to vote?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.