• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

AdamGill1999

Jan 7, 2017
Canada, Hamilton
✟15,346.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My girlfriend has been to her family doctor and he has diagnosed her with depression via a chemical imbalance in her brain (I know that's not a full diagnosis but it helps) and she's on antidepressants and has even doubled her dosage since it wasn't effective before. Since then, it's only gotten worse. She talks about suicide and has nearly no self-worth. We are both in our last year of high school and both of us are applying to college art programs that require portfolios so it's even more stressful for the both of us. I recently did an online diagnostic of her and it came up with "Bipolar II Disorder (Depressive) 296.89" which I'm not too certain what that means yet, but I'll do some researching. She doesn't come from a very supportive household, her father has clear anger management issues, and has a bloodline of depression (which might be one of the factors). Her mother is not supportive nor does she believe that she really has depression or that anything is wrong with her. Her parents have done things like believing that her mental issues were from illegal drugs even though she would never ever do anything like that, they've also blamed it on me because I was the only new thing that's come into her life, that's wrong because all I've done is helped and prevented her from committing suicide already, and it's probably been because of school since it's our last year and everything is very stressful, and her age is a big factor. Her parents also are not putting any priority into seeing their family doctor or anyone on a regular basis, they don't even have an appointment booked for her yet since sometime in October at least. I've seen myself deteriorating and my mental state has become less stable, but I still am aware of this and I can sometimes pull myself out from a bad state. Just today she's pleaded to me through texting to end the suffering, she was very close to taking all her antidepressants at once (~25x her regular dosage of 2 pills a day). I don't know what to do anymore and she isn't getting better and life is only getting more stressful...I don't know what I can do. If anyone can help me I'll be super grateful. I know to stay with her and to always be there for her and all that but that only goes so far...

UPDATE: She has talked with her parents and has taken her to ER, more info when I get more.

UPDATE: Firstly I want to give a huge thank you to everyone who has reached out to help us, it really means a lot to me. She has come back from ER with lots of info and ways to help her in times of need, she's to take anxiety meds when things go overboard but remain on antidepressants for long-term fixing. The doctors talked to her about coping strategies and mindfulness and being aware of distortion of thoughts (I'm not entirely sure what that means). They also talked about local help centers and online hotlines (no phone ones because she can't handle phones, it stresses her out too much). So we'll see how this goes for a while and I might add another update if anything changes or if it doesn't. Again thank you, everyone, who reached out to me.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: teresa

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prov 3:5 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."

This is what you need to do. If you do not understand how to trust in the Lord, then you need to figure out and learn how to trust in the Lord. Because He will cause all things to work out for the best for us.

"we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose". Romans 8:28

"In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thes 5:18

When we see that all things God intends for our benefit then in all things we can give thanks because God is going to work all things for our good. Does the end justify the means? God seems to think so. Even if His ways are not our ways.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just today she's pleaded to me through text to end the suffering, she was very close to taking all her antidepressants at once (~25x her regular dosage of 2 pills a day).

I am an ex Deputy Sheriff. Do not wait call law enforcement closest to her and provide them with the above statement they will take her into protective custody and get her the help she needs.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
If you really think she is at risk of suicide (and based on your description, it sounds like it), call the police department and they can put in the paperwork to pick her up and take her to a hospital where she can be admitted to a behavioral health floor. This does not mean she is "crazy" but rather needs acute medical care for her illness (depression is an illness) no different than some people with an infection must be admitted for IV antibiotics. She will be in a safe environment. They are required to look at each patient every 15 minutes (safety check) and a person that they really fear is actively suicidal will be assigned a person who watches them 24 hours. Her medications can be "tweeked" while they watch to see them start working (antidepressants take 2 weeks to really start working). You won't be able to see her every day but she can call you for short conversations. She might actually hate you afterwards or love you even more....but if you love her, sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

If she really is clinically depressed, then nothing and nobody caused this. People and situations may contribute to the difficulty but the real problem is that her brain chemicals are out of balance and her brain isn't thinking correctly...it can't "cheer up", it is missing some of the chemicals and hormones that allow happy thoughts and positive feelings. She isn't "bipolar" unless she also has manic swings (bi means two).

And since this is a Christian forum, I am also going to tell you to pray...pray for her, her family, your relationship, and yourself. This is a tough situation and sometimes tough actions are needed...even those that make you potentially unpopular.

Upvote 0

Muslim-UK

Oct 11, 2015
✟14,751.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear about your girlfriend suffering. Could she move in with you for better support?
If not as a Muslim, the most powerful medicine I can suggest is letting her listen to the Qur'an for 20 mins, she should immediately feel calmness come over her. Though this is a Christian board and Islam generally frowned upon, the Qur'an was sent as a mercy to all mankind and contains unbelievable powers of healing:

www.Quranexplorer.com and just start at chapter 1 and listen, even if it's for 10 mins with headphones on at medium volume in a relaxing environment. You can read the English translation, but should listen to the Arabic for maximum benefit. And no there is absolutely no requirement to become a Muslim. If you give it a go, and it helps, let me know and I'll give you some more information that may benefit you.

If you don't wish to try this, then perhaps you should make appointments for her to get medical help and accompany her if you are able.

May the GOD of Abraham pbuh help you in your hour of need. Ameen

• Friendly
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My girlfriend has been to her family doctor and he has diagnosed her with depression via a chemical imbalance in her brain (I know that's not a full diagnosis but it helps) and she's on antidepressants and has even doubled her dosage since it wasn't effective before. Since then, it's only gotten worse. She talks about suicide and has nearly no self-worth. We are both in our last year of high school and both of us are applying to college art programs that require portfolios so it's even more stressful for the both of us. I recently did an online diagnostic of her and it came up with "Bipolar II Disorder (Depressive) 296.89" which I'm not too certain what that means yet, but I'll do some researching. She doesn't come from a very supportive household, her father has clear anger management issues, and has a bloodline of depression (which might be one of the factors). Her mother is not supportive nor does she believe that she really has depression or that anything is wrong with her. Her parents have done things like believing that her mental issues was from illegal drugs even though she would never ever do anything like that, they've also blamed it on me because I was the only new thing that's come into her life, that's wrong because all I've done is helped and prevented her from committing suicide already, and it's probably been because of school since it's our last year and everything is very stressful, and her age is a big factor. Her parents also are not putting any priority into seeing their family doctor or anyone at a regular basis, they don't even have an appointment booked for her yet since sometime in October at least. I've seen myself deteriorating and my mental state has become less stable, but I still am aware of this and I can sometimes pull myself out from a bad state. Just today she's pleaded to me through text to end the suffering, she was very close to taking all her antidepressants at once (~25x her regular dosage of 2 pills a day). I don't know what to do anymore and she isn't getting better and life is only getting more stressful...I don't know what I can do. If anyone can help me I'll be super grateful. I know to stay with her and to always be there for her and all that but that only goes so far...

is she 18 yet? or does she have older siblings nearby?
other than getting her to see a school counselor or nurse there's not a whole lot that can be done that i know of if she is under age.

what about your art teacher..is he/she approachable? Even if it's just to vent, your friend needs a caring adult in this situation.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As mentioned, if it comes to that, and it appears it has or is very close, the Baker Act will provide help in cases like this, whether one can afford it or not.

Not sure if she is or not but though being Christian can help us through things like this, and in some cases might even bring the hand of God directly into play, but there are no guarantees there. I personally just make that first in my life and then hope for the best, like I don't end up in a depressed state like this to begin with, but I only use that as an example, this can happen with or without God, and to any given person, all depending on so many variables. One thing I'm fairly certain of...the Baker Act is there because God wants it there.

But in the end, all preachy stuff aside, and regardless what you believe now, use that, get stable and then look into doing the best for yourselves. Nothing like the assurance we will be around forever if we do what it takes, to to make someone feel they matter, as well as a bit better about a lot of things that tend to depress....whole new outlook on what's important, creating less stress overall..

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dea Adam Gill ,I am writing to you from France, to tell you that by sitting on the fence you are not getting God's grace and strength .Just in the same way this computer is just a box without electricity and the Connection to the internet neither of which can be SEEN by your eyes , you body is just a ' box', without the Light of God through Jesus Christ living in it .When we are sick on this level it is because we are without this energy and Connection to from God ,so go down on your knees ,say the Lord's prayer and and afterwards ask Him to help you both . Do not give up ,pray ceaselessly giving up some normal activities and only concentrating on this .
You are so young and have heavy burden ,but if you do this properly, you will get strength and grace to cover you later too.

My dearest Father in heaven I am praying to you ,to reach down and guide this very Young man,to give Him strength and faith in your goodness and power .

• Friendly
Reactions: AdamGill1999
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
UPDATE: She has talked with her parents and have taken her to ER, more info when I get more.

thank you for the update and lets be thankful she has parents who care enough to help her with this.

Thanks for reaching out too, and not sitting on this.

Very good job on your part.

Now, also make sure to nurture your mind, body and spirit as well.

Pray for others to have strength to help share the stress of handling this crisis, and let go a little bit and get some rest.

Anyone who has been a first responder knows this truth:

You cannot help anyone or save anyone if you've worn yourself out.

Putting yourself first as in this manner, is not selfish, its so that you can be there!

Praying for all of you now

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
woman_praying1.jpg

Praying for you, her family, and health care providers.
and for as all of us here, to be a blessing....

Reactions: Muslim-UK
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums