Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Her mom was my grandfather's brother so it was all that particular line.

How does that happen? :)

The town of Ipswich Massachusetts is one of the oldest in the United States. It was founded in 1634 and due to some unique economic circumstances, has more First Period houses than any other town or city in the country. Quite of few of my ancestors were among the first settlers so I was thrilled, but not surprised to see on a drawing of property lines in 1640 that two of my ancestors lived next to each other and two more lived a few plots away. Even more interesting is the two plots that abutted each other 380 years ago still have the same footprint.

Attached is
1. Drawing with properties for William Lamson, William Story, John Dane and Daniel Hovey.
2. Google maps satellite image of the same area today.
View attachment 253526 View attachment 253527
I was thrilled when researching my lines to find a map of a town with my maiden name on it and all the major houses laid out with roads still in existence. This dated back to before the Revolutionary war, in the 1705.
I never liked history much but when it involves your family it becomes quite interesting. I've traced my husbands family back to The King of Scotland< James Stewart. My family back then was more of the non secular variety. :)

My comment was that having Edward III as my 25th ggf had the same impact on my life as having Rebecca Nurse as my 10th ggm - none.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My genealogical pilgrimage to Massachusetts last August was very productive and I was actually making discoveries during the week while I was up there. There were several that were completely serendipitous. I was staying at a hotel in Amesbury and went for walks each morning. On the first day, completely by random, I wound up walking by the house my 10th great-grandfather lived in which is now a historical site (which I mentioned in post #15). Another moment of serendipity happened when I was visiting Appleton Farms in Ipswich, Massachusetts. The Appletons were a very prosperous family who came from a wealthy background in England. Samuel the Immigrant established a farm in the southern portion of Ipswich the grew and grew in size over the years.

When I visited I spoke to one of the docents in the house built by the last Appleton owner Francis who donated the property to a trust that maintains it. She took me out into Patch field (Patch is another surname in my lineage) where there was a stone monument with a metal plaque commemorating those born in the house of my great-granduncle John Appleton. After I returned home I looked at the names on the plague. One was Nathan Dane, and Danes tied into my Appleton connection. My 5th great-grandmother was Lydia Dane Appleton.

Lydia's brother Nathan started out on the farm, but attended Harvard and became a big shot lawyer right after the Revolutionary War. He would serve in the Massachusetts legislature and went on to serve in the Continental Congress where he made his greatest contribution to the country. He helped to draft the Northwest Ordinance and included a provision outlawing slavery in the new territories. Because of his amendment, when the Civil War broke out, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin were firmly free states which sided with the Union. Ohio alone mustered 230 regiments of infantry and nearly 320,000 Buckeyes served the Union cause.

Nathan's contributions didn't end there though. He is considered to be the father of American jurisprudence writing A General Abridgement and Digest of American Law which went to 8 volumes and was the first such writings regarding American law in the new nation.

Nathan Dane, my 6th great-granduncle, died in 1835, he and his wife Abigail never having had children, but still leaving a towering if underappeciated legacy.
Nathan Dane - Wikipedia

Nathans.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Y'all's 'bout as Southern as you can git! Some of my people came from New England and to N. C.. They wandered west through KY, IN, MO, and finally TX where they married people from TN, etc.

But my mother's side went west to OH, IL, IN, MI. They became addicted to Germans starting in OH. My mother was extremely influenced by German traits. Back in New England, we had mostly English but she wasn't interested and I was disappointed! My father's Texan mother had a Mayflower ancestor. Dad's dad descended from the Scots and English (a dead end). He had a wee bit of German or Swiss.:wave:

Upvote 0