• Total voters

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The light we're seeing from SN1987A could have left yesterday, if God so willed it.
Congratulations you have given an example of a violation of causality.
If the light was emitted yesterday why do we call it SN1987A and not SN2022?

Here is my challenge to you, did I respond to your post before or after you wrote it.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 6:14a And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together;

Are you suggesting that this passage was referring to wormholes? Or did you just find a passage that contains a synonym for a word I used and thus conclude it was relevant to the discussion?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Congratulations you have given an example of a violation of causality.
Would you like a violation of the laws of thermodynamics as well?

I'll be more than happy to show you.
sjastro said:
If the light was emitted yesterday why do we call it SN1987A and not SN2022?
Because you are taught it was emitted 170,000 years ago.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you suggesting that this passage was referring to wormholes? Or did you just find a passage that contains a synonym for a word I used and thus conclude it was relevant to the discussion?
If you can roll a three-dimensional universe up as a scroll, then I would assume a fourth dimension is needed to do so ... correct?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't even scientists says there are some eleven or fourteen dimensions of space?

And didn't Paul mention four dimensions?

Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'll be more than happy to show you.

Are you suggesting that God makes things that are NOT what they seem? Does that mean that Romans 1:20 can take a hike? How can God be clearly seen from what he has created if what we see of God's creation is NOT the way things really are?

Because you are taught it was emitted 170,000 years ago.

Can you show that it wasn't?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you suggesting that God makes things that are NOT what they seem?
You're trying too hard not to understand, and doing a good job.

QV please: SN1987A

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stop with the whataboutisms and address the issue.
If the actions of God resulted in the light of the supernova being emitted yesterday which can travel "jillions of kilometers" in a very short period of time than why do we call it SN1987A instead of SN2022?

I'll be more than happy to show you.Because you are taught it was emitted 170,000 years ago.
Oh you mean when Henrietta Swan Levitt discovered Cepheid variables in the LMC in 1908, the very satellite galaxy SN1987A originated from, to establish the luminosity distance relationship of Cepheids which was calibrated to great accuracy using trigonometric parallax on the star Delta Cephei with the Hubble Space telescope.
Since we know the distance to the LMC we know how long it took for SN1987A's light to reach us using the scientifically determined value of c as 299,792,458 m/s, not the God can do anything argument with a made up value of jillions of kilometers in a very short period of time.

You haven't addressed my challenge since God can will anything, did I respond to your post before or after you wrote it?

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If the actions of God resulted in the light of the supernova being emitted yesterday which can travel "jillions of kilometers" in a very short period of time than why do we call it SN1987A instead of SN2022?
I think you know why:
1987A's light reached Earth on February 23, 1987,

SOURCE

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Glad you like'em! ;)
Being a fairytale is was quite boring.
You could have made it more interesting by introducing giants, dragons and elves to name a few.
The thread was ridiculed across the board from using a fairytale as a substitute for the science, to the gross misinterpretation of Bible verse to make up the story which I imagine is highly offensive to conservative Christians based on this verse.
knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 1: 20-21)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The thread was ridiculed across the board from using a fairytale as a substitute for the science, to the gross misinterpretation of Bible verse to make up the story which I imagine is highly offensive to conservative Christians based on this verse.
If that offends conservative Christians, then perhaps they have something better they can present?

Until then: YMMV.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you know why:

SOURCE
I note the penny still hasn't dropped.
Let me try to make it as simple as possible for you to understand.
If God created the supernova yesterday it was October 17 2022, the supernova was observed February 23 1987.
How can you observe something before it was created?
This is called a violation of causality.

Before you employ the low brow argument it is the will of God think carefully the Bible is set out in a chronological order which means causality was not violated.
So why would God make an exception for SN1987A, so you can make up an idiotic fairytale?

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If that offends conservative Christians, then perhaps they have something better they can present?

Until then: YMMV.
So you accept no responsibility for butchering the Bible.
Here is the Peter verse again.
knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 1: 20-21)
Are you going to stand up and tell us this verse does not apply to you in the slightest.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God created the supernova yesterday it was October 17 2022, the supernova was observed February 23 1987.
Where did I say it was created yesterday, then observed in 1987? :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you can roll a three-dimensional universe up as a scroll, then I would assume a fourth dimension is needed to do so ... correct?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't even scientists says there are some eleven or fourteen dimensions of space?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the passage you quoted.

And didn't Paul mention four dimensions?

Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

I've asked you a few times now to clearly define what direction those dimensions measure. You always refused to answer. But since you bring it up again, I'll ask you again. Below is a diagram of a cube with the X, Y, and Z axes labelled. Which axis corresponds to breadth? Which corresponds to length? Which to depth? And which to height?
media_093_0934411c-e299-4c09-9500-2df585683e46_phpf6om1X.png

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're trying too hard not to understand, and doing a good job.

QV please: SN1987A

Wow. You can tell that a particular supernova was created as a home for a particular angel.

Tell me, do you think for a second that I'm going to find that anything close to convincing? I see no reason why I should take it seriously.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've asked you a few times now to clearly define what direction those dimensions measure.
You're desperate to keep yourself confused, aren't you?
Kylie said:
You always refused to answer.
Okay. This time, I'll humor you. But believe me, I'd better see a light bulb come on, or I'm going to start humoring your questions in another far less serious way.
Kyle said:
But since you bring it up again, I'll ask you again. Below is a diagram of a cube with the X, Y, and Z axes labelled. Which axis corresponds to breadth? Which corresponds to length? Which to depth? And which to height?
Notice you gave me only three axes, but are asking for four?

But I'm here to make sure you'll confuse yourself, so here goes:

X = length
Y = height
Z = width (or breadth for those trying to stay confused)

Paul mentions "depth" -- or the "fourth dimension" for confusion purposes.

(This is why I claim to be ignorant, but I'm not nearly ignorant enough to be a college graduate today. I truly feel sorry and pray for you guys.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow. You can tell that a particular supernova was created as a home for a particular angel.
Show me, dear self-confused one, where I ever said that.

I remember saying the STARS were homes to the angels, but not supernova.

Then, when a third of the angels followed Lucifer in his insurrection, God destroyed some of their homes as a testimony to the other angels as to what can happen to their homes as well.

I even named the star that God destroyed, didn't I (Sanduleak)?
Kylie said:
Tell me, do you think for a second that I'm going to find that anything close to convincing?
Nope. I wouldn't either. Since you misquoted me (as usual).
Kylie said:
I see no reason why I should take it seriously.
Good. I don't take that seriously either. I take what I really said seriously. Not your self-confused version.

Upvote 0