Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, not yet....

who is it?

Graf Neun was a derogatory term for Infantry Regiment 9, Potsdam. An insult because so many of the officers were from the aristocracy.

It holds the distinction of having far more officers and former officers executed for Treason than any other regiment in Germany. A distinction now a badge of honor as it was treason against the leaders of the German state, not against the German people.

You will see my avatar at the bottom of the list in the Wiki listing. Rather interesting that Google hits the Wiki page early in the list. Yahoo does not in the entire first page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_Regiment_9_Potsdam

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny View Post
No, not yet....

who is it?

Graf Neun was a derogatory term for Infantry Regiment 9, Potsdam. An insult because so many of the officers were from the aristocracy.

It holds the distinction of having far more officers and former officers executed for Treason than any other regiment in Germany. A distinction now a badge of honor as it was treason against the leaders of the German state, not against the German people.

You will see my avatar at the bottom of the list in the Wiki listing. Rather interesting that Google hits the Wiki page early in the list. Yahoo does not in the entire first page.

Infantry Regiment 9 Potsdam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What a brave soul he was. Thank you for the link.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I've talked about it here before, to you or to other bahai, don't remember. The Bahai religion is rejected in the Qur'an.

That is what we call an anachronism. Obviously the Qur'an could not have rejected something which did not yet exist. Might as well say that the Qur'an prohibits women from driving.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am sorry to hear that. While I was 15 by the time the movie came out (I feel old, lol), I do remember watching various similar gore fest movies about the crucifixion as a child. In my mind, totally inappropriate for a kid to be watching. But when it comes to thing with religious significance it's sometimes hard for the parents to budge.

As far as my opinions and thoughts about The Passion Of The Christ goes, South Park did a pretty insightful and intelligent take on it.

I'm happy to hear that you liked the movie The Beaver. My friends think it looks stupid, but it's not like stupid things can't have intelligent messages within them. I generally do like seeing Mel Gibson in movies and do find him to be quite funny.

My two favorite movies from him are probably Apocalypo and The Gringo. For some reason I could never get into Brave heart.

In fairness the babysitter was probably only around fifteen or so then as well, so I don't think she thought through how it would effect me. She was a neighborhood high school girl who was helping out just for a couple of weeks.

The Beaver absolutely looks like a stupid movie and I would never have watched it or even heard about it if my psychology teacher hadn't randomly mentioned it in a class, haha. It's actually surprising good considering how bad you expect it to be. I haven't seen any of his other movies. Maybe I'll watch Braveheart one day. Is it true that there are homophobic undertones to it? I've heard that there are, but I've never even watched a YouTube clip from it so I don't know anything about it myself.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In fairness the babysitter was probably only around fifteen or so then as well, so I don't think she thought through how it would effect me. She was a neighborhood high school girl who was helping out just for a couple of weeks.

The Beaver absolutely looks like a stupid movie and I would never have watched it or even heard about it if my psychology teacher hadn't randomly mentioned it in a class, haha. It's actually surprising good considering how bad you expect it to be. I haven't seen any of his other movies. Maybe I'll watch Braveheart one day. Is it true that there are homophobic undertones to it? I've heard that there are, but I've never even watched a YouTube clip from it so I don't know anything about it myself.

I do not remember any, but I saw it fairly soon after it came out and was not looking for any. Considering my social set at the time I would have expected to have heard about any that really were there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I thought my sentence was understandable. The Qur'an rejects other "Prophets" after Muhammad. In this case, we are talking about Bahai founder. And the Qur'an rejects religions other than Islam. In this case, we are talking about Bahai religion.

I'm not sure Baha'u'llah ever referred to Himself as a 'nabi.' But this is a complicated subject you can read about here;

A Bahá'í Approach to the Claim of Finality in Islam

The term Islam in this context refers to submission being the religion of God in the past, the present and the future. But obviously the word itself is not used until Muhammad. Yet Abraham is described as a Muslim, which since he is submissive to God, is obviously true.

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Meanwhile, back to movies.

How could I forget Amazing Grace?

I live in the SE U.S., and people want to blame Christianity all the time for slavery here.

Too many people forget there was another side to that coin. The abolitionists were very motivated by their religious beliefs to oppose slavery!

One could argue those that used the Bible to justify slavery might have mistakenly been following mammon and not God.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Meanwhile, back to movies.

How could I forget Amazing Grace?

I live in the SE U.S., and people want to blame Christianity all the time for slavery here.

Too many people forget there was another side to that coin. The abolitionists were very motivated by their religious beliefs to oppose slavery!

One could argue those that used the Bible to justify slavery might have mistakenly been following mammon and not God.

I haven't seen it yet...i had fergotten about it...but always planned to see it.....ordering the DVD from Alibris or Amazon (if they have it)

Update:

just ordered it fer $.99 from Alibris in a used but nearly new condition! :clap:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I haven't seen it yet...i had fergotten about it...but always planned to see it.....ordering the DVD from Alibris or Amazon (if they have it)

Oh Amazing Grace is such a must see!

For the history, for the story, and Ian Gryffudd is so great in the role of Wilberforce.

My brother in law is a history teacher in the US, and we strongly recommended he consider using this movie in his class in some way. It teaches the history of the slave trade in a way that goes beyond just the American end of it. It goes into abolitionists' religious views and how they were inspired to fight slavery. It shows the corrupting influence of money in politics. And it shows the weird and roundabout ways laws get passed that will do the right thing.

I'm sure you've seen it as well as I have -- some people dis Christianity as if all Christians approved of and were involved in the slave trade. Well, the thing that actually stopped the slave trade was the hard work of Christians!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh Amazing Grace is such a must see!

For the history, for the story, and Ian Gryffudd is so great in the role of Wilberforce.

My brother in law is a history teacher in the US, and we strongly recommended he consider using this movie in his class in some way. It teaches the history of the slave trade in a way that goes beyond just the American end of it. It goes into abolitionists' religious views and how they were inspired to fight slavery. It shows the corrupting influence of money in politics. And it shows the weird and roundabout ways laws get passed that will do the right thing.

I'm sure you've seen it as well as I have -- some people dis Christianity as if all Christians approved of and were involved in the slave trade. Well, the thing that actually stopped the slave trade was the hard work of Christians!

Awesome! It is that it is based on a true story that first got my attention, and how real it seemed as far as real hearts standing for what is right, no matter the cost.

The DVD should be here w/in 4-5 days at most :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Awesome! It is that it is based on a true story that first got my attention, and how real it seemed as far as real hearts standing for what is right, no matter the cost.

The DVD should be here w/in 4-5 days at most :thumbsup:

We expect a full report! :)

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Okay- this thread. Started off innocuous and wound up- meh.

Anyway- here is my attempt to ignore everything except Christian themed movies I like the best.

To whoever mentioned The Mission? Excellent movie. To whoever mentioned Ostrov (The Island)? Also an excellent movie. My personal favorite though is The Robe (1953). I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Booko
Upvote 0