United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Spielberg is great with nuance.

I get chills whenever I watch the scene where Amon Goeth is snipping Jews from his balcony for sport, then he goes into his house and [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] his rifle towards his girlfriend/whatever to scare her then proceeds to urinate with the bathroom door wide open.

That scene is just so raw and conveys so much about his damaged character.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
One vote for the 1953 film “Martin Luther” starring the late Niall MacGinnis as Luther.

MacGinnis gives an intense portrayal of Luther.

It’s somewhat dated and more narrowly focused than some other films on the Reformation. But it’s a good old film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPi6nZzQHCw

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Spielberg is great with nuance.

I get chills whenever I watch the scene where Amon Goeth is snipping Jews from his balcony for sport, then he goes into his house and [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] his rifle towards his girlfriend/whatever to scare her then proceeds to urinate with the bathroom door wide open.

That scene is just so raw and conveys so much about his damaged character.

You are right. I had not thought through that scene, as I saw the movie, when I was young. That is good insight on it.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Has anybody here seen Exodus? I do not think it's still in the cinemas, but maybe, it will come out on DVD soon. What about God's Not Dead and Do You Believe? What do you think of them? I did not like God's Not Dead so much. I haven't seen Do You Believe, but, my friends who saw it thought it was bigoted & terrible. Other people, they think it's great. It's not playing at any cinemas near me, so I will wait, until it's on Netflix.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Isn't that movie supposed to be pretty secular and drift off from the original story? Much like the movie Noah that came out earlier?

I don't think Exodus is something SunshineforJesus would be interested in.

The film also only has a 28% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't that movie supposed to be pretty secular and drift off from the original story? Much like the movie Noah that came out earlier?

Thanks for the info meh guy

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I've heard that, yes. I didn't see it at the cinema, for the terrible reviews. If I'm going to spend so much money on a movie, I want a decent chance of it being OK at least. Still, I'm interested. When it comes out on DVD, or Netflix maybe, I'll see it. I didn't hate Noah. I didn't like it so much, but, I didn't hate it either.

Some people have said they liked Exodus. It's hard to know, sometimes, with Rotten Tomatoes. Do You Believe, has 19% rating. My friends who saw it, who are all Christians, they thought, it was terrible. Very bigoted, and insulting, they said. I haven't seen it, as it's not playing at any cinemas within an hour of the city where I live. A lady here, she said, at the cinema where she saw it, people stood up and gave it a standing ovation. I do not think I will like it, but, I will see it when it's on DVD or Netflix. Sometimes you just have to see things, for yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've heard that, yes. I didn't see it at the cinema, for the terrible reviews. If I'm going to spend so much money on a movie, I want a decent chance of it being OK at least. Still, I'm interested. When it comes out on DVD, or Netflix maybe, I'll see it. I didn't hate Noah. I didn't like it so much, but, I didn't hate it either.

Some people have said they liked Exodus. It's hard to know, sometimes, with Rotten Tomatoes. Do You Believe, has 19% rating. My friends who saw it, who are all Christians, they thought, it was terrible. Very bigoted, and insulting, they said. I haven't seen it, as it's not playing at any cinemas within an hour of the city where I live. A lady here, she said, at the cinema where she saw it, people stood up and gave it a standing ovation. I do not think I will like it, but, I will see it when it's on DVD or Netflix. Sometimes you just have to see things, for yourself.

I kind of liked Noah. I thought it was decent and would probably give it a 7/10. The film has a 77% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so at least most people view the movie as competent.

Although with the choice of all the Bible stories out there, the story of the Ark seems a little flat. Personally I'd love to direct a film about Lot. I always found him to be funny and strangely kind of relatable. Perhaps a Monty Python-esque comedy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I did see Noah and while it was ok as a movie, it was so far from scriptural. Movies that claim to be from the bible (but are not true to the story) usually serve to malign scripture and do damage. However the good thing is they do open people up to discussion which is why I go see them. A person will say oh did you see Noah and I will be able to say I have and it's a way to open up discussion. Often it is the only thing anyone has ever seen or heard about God. Usually those kind of movies really mess up their perceptions of God. Movies like comedies about God also mess up perceptions too. Street ministry gives me a unique opportunity to talk to people from all walks of life. The one thing I have come to realize from being on this forum especially is how much culture affects perceptions too. These movies are wide spread too so who knows what type of damage they are doing to the scriptures. I know we are trying to embrace technology and media more so we can be more useful. It's just a fine line sometimes between educating yourself and damaging your own perceptions. It's why we really need to guard our hearts and keep our walks pure.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I tend to avoid films whose primary aim is to proselytize, although I do not mind more generally religious-themed films.

I did not watch Noah because, frankly, the myth it is based on is rather ridiculous in itself, and paints the image of a deity who is either completely inept or downright malicious. There are much better stories to be told, and much better myths to base them on.

As far as biblically inspired films go, I really enjoyed "The Prince of Egypt" from 1997. Its music is among the best and most inspiring ever to accompany an animated film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gur8ccqrQ9c

"The Last Temptation of the Christ" has some VERY strong moments, encouraging further contemplation on the presented themes.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I tend to avoid films whose primary aim is to proselytize, although I do not mind more generally religious-themed films.

I did not watch Noah because, frankly, the myth it is based on is rather ridiculous in itself, and paints the image of a deity who is either completely inept or downright malicious. There are much better stories to be told, and much better myths to base them on.

I set my expectations very low for Noah and so I was pleasantly surprised by how I liked certain aspects of it. The scenery is gorgeous and the cinematography is stunning; it feels like watching art in motion for two hours. If for nothing else that and the soundtrack make it worth watching. Plus I've loved Emma Watson since her Hermione days, ha. A huge group of kids from my youth group saw Noah in IMAX last year, and many loved it. My 14-year-old brother saw it several times in the theater and then got the DVD, but he was most enamored with the special effects, haha.

I've never believed in a literal flood for some of the reasons you've touched upon, so I expected some liberties with the storytelling and didn't take offense to them.
I did think this article about it was interesting, though I haven't done research to verify that it's accurate:

Noah: Who are the Watchers and Why the Panic? | Brad Jersak | Red Letter Christians

I loved Prince of Egypt. :)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jane, I agree with you about movies that are just meant to proselytize, that is such a turn off

it turns the religious experience into nothing more then a sales pitch and cheapens the Faith

at the same time, I am tired of super secularist views of Christians, the portrayal of us as being at best kind hearted simpletons and at worse hateful hypocritical zealots

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
at the same time, I am tired of super secularist views of Christians, the portrayal of us as being at best kind hearted simpletons and at worse hateful hypocritical zealots
I agree, stereotyping is awful. (Which is also why it is such a disgrace that atheists are the most hated demographic in the US, even outranking muslims.)

It appears there are only two types of Christian clerics in contemporary films (from the mid-1900s onward): amiable misfits who do not get along with the hierarchical institution they nominally belong to, and overbearing hypocrites embodying said hierarchical (potentially morally bankrupt) institution.

As for laypersons who just happen to be believers: I don't think their portrayal is overly negative - UNLESS the film draws explicit attention to their faith, at which point the stereotypes start accumulating.

Upvote 0