My Decimal Challenge

Does the decimal point move when 9 goes to 13.8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is making my brain hurt. What, exactly, have we learned here today?
That scientists move the decimal arbitrarily to make their theories fit.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That scientists move the decimal arbitrarily to make their theories fit.

Ummm, you do know that isn't right, correct? I mean, have you ever had to sit through lectures in intro science classes on significant figures?

I can't begin to figure out what your point is in this thread but clearly you got something very, very wrong.

If you don't understand science, you can always learn it. But making accusations that are factually incorrect is not going to impress anyone. Especially those who do that sort of thing for a living.

How 'bout we revisit Luke 6:31 again, shall we?

Let us say, ummmm, that people who work with radio communications consistently lie about things. It is a fault of theirs. Perhaps they want to do right but are simply prone to lying all the time. If only they'd use their skills for good. We know they can do good things, but the lying that so many of them do is just hard to take.

How are we doing now?

Upvote 0

MrSpikey

Dec 1, 2015
UK
✟34,367.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Now that I think about it, the decimal point never moves. Its always stuck between the ones position and the tenths position

The decimal is ALWAYS to the right of the ones column.

Both the above are true, but also ignore that the decimal point can move.

Standard form, for example, would write 120 000 000 as 1.2x10^8. The decimal point is still in the middle of the 1s and 1/10s, but the multiplier makes it a different number. Expressing it in standard form has artificially moved the decimal point to adhere to a standard.

That said, I'm sure few will be surprised if I say AV1611Vet's OP is a load of rubbish.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I voted "Yes", but then I've never believed in math. BTW is it just a coincidence that some people think the universe is 13.8 billion years old? (Give or take a few decimals...)

You don't believe in the basis by which the computer you are currently using operates?

How does it work then, if it isn't mathematical?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can't begin to figure out what your point is in this thread ...
It's a rant against deep time.

The Bible only allows for 6020 years of history, but science has to move the decimal point seven decimal places to the right to account for Beelzebang (Big Bang).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The Bible only allows for 6020 years of history, but science has to move the decimal point seven decimal places to the right to account for Beelzebang (Big Bang).
The rant part is correct, but the Bible part is not.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Ahh, I see the issue. You see, science didn't just "move the decimal point". The DATA showed a value >6020 years.

Besides I thought you were all about deep time being real, just "embedded" by God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
According to Bishop Ussher, the Earth will have celebrated its 6020th birthday on 5 February this year.

Did you wish it happy birthday?

I was under the impression that the genealogies weren't that precise and not all calculations agreed with Ussher's.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was under the impression that the genealogies weren't that precise and not all calculations agreed with Ussher's.
It doesn't matter though, does it?

It's only a matter of degrees.

Or are you saying there are gaps in the genealogies from Adam to Jesus that amount to 13,700,000,000 years?

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely not.

Age was embedded ... not time.

Defined as: maturity without history.

Wow. Here I thought you had a nearly fool-proof (ie unfalsifiable) claim. That God indeed miraculously embedded age within the rocks such that the rocks would literally be 4.5billion years old. But that God did so 6000 or so years ago.

That would mean that the scientists could not find the age to be anything but 4.5 billion years old because the rocks would literally be 4.5 billion years old.

Hence it would be incorrect to say the scientists erroneously "moved the decimal place".

Now your position doesn't even make sense! I'm sad to see it go this way. Previously it was impossible to argue against it because it was unfalsifiable (hence unscientific)...but at least it was impossible to debate the point since it allowed science to be technically correct and Biblical Literalism also be technically correct.

Now you've turned it into a mish-mash of poor logic and confusion.

Sad day indeed.

• Winner
Reactions: quatona
Upvote 0