My Decimal Challenge

Does the decimal point move when 9 goes to 13.8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Except that, if he is a Christian, other Christians will want to know where he gets his ideas from.

The thing I like about Biblical Literalists and those who feel they have a track on a "Fundamental" understanding of the Bible is that, invariably they end up playing a part in the overall evolution of the faith we've seen throughout its history.

There are so many Christians who wish to take their faith back to some form that is more pure and like what Jesus originally intended but it always seems that they must deal with new things popping up that require new "ideas" to be generated.

AV's hypothesis is one in a long line of attempting to square the circle. It seemed (until he pulled the chair out from under it) that it was going to be a nice one because it allowed for things the ancients wouldn't have known about (like the age of the earth and all the associated science related to that) to be true while also in keeping with the limited to non-existent knowledge the ancients had.

The thing I find fascinating in Christianity (and in probably all faiths, but Christianity is the one I'm most familiar with) is the all-too-human evolution of thought. It is a hazard that accompanies the development of anything that is purely hypothetical or without physical evidence to ground the ideas.

It's like a great mental game untethered to any necessary reality. And, of course, that would also seem to be a danger for those who wish to keep a "pure" faith unsullied by human "guesses".

Interesting all around.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your definition of age is wrong.

Age is the amount of time something has existed for.

AV seems to be working from a very narrow and possibly sui generis set of definitions. It may be that he has gathered various terms from other sources and slightly modified them such that now age-time-history are all completely decoupled from one another.

It was clear when I was engaging with him earlier today that he was possibly getting frustrated because I was not cleaving to his unique definitions of common terms. But in actuality I was trying to be true to his conditions but pointing out the necessary conception of "history" being recorded in the rocks just as integrally as "age"....even if one were to decouple the terms.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your definition of age is wrong.
And what is my definition?

Here are thirteen definitions.

Which one(s) are the one(s) I go with?
Kylie said:
Age is the amount of time something has existed for.
One down, twelve more to go.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's like a great mental game untethered to any necessary reality. And, of course, that would also seem to be a danger for those who wish to keep a "pure" faith unsullied by human "guesses".

Interesting all around.

The reality Christianity is tethered to is God's revelation in the Bible. Sometimes the way in which biblical data has been interpreted will need to be rethought, but the same sort of thing happens in science.

A couple of hundred years ago people may have taken the Bible to be a source from which the age of the Earth could be calculated. They had no reason to think otherwise, and no other means of coming to any sort of estimate. Today we know that the Earth is not 6,000 years old, but that figure arose from a misuse of the Bible anyway. Scripture is there to answer theological questions; not scientific ones.

Upvote 0

Heissonear

Geochemist and Stratigrapher
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here ... maybe this will help ... but I doubt it:

:speechballoon:

Adam was created with an appearance of age
Clearly, Adam—along with much of the rest of creation—was created with maturity, not deterioration. In fact the references to His creation being "good" and "very good" indicate that there were no imperfections, and deterioration is an accumulation of imperfections. And in order to create a viable system, the creation had to be mature. If Adam was created as a just-fertilised egg, for example, how would he survive without the womb? The apparent age that God created with was maturity, not deterioration, and there is no deceit, particularly as He told us that he created this way.

The Earth "looks" old
However, as we don't have observations of what old and young earths look like, how would we know what an old Earth should look like in order to make that judgement?

What is done by most scientists today to determine the age of the earth is to determine how old fossils and rocks are using the application of an assumption or presupposition established within their evolutionary and essentially atheistic, naturalistic worldview. It is assumed the earth is 4.6 billion years old and through that established belief, all other evidence conforms.

While evolutionists rely on assumptions and data within an evolutionary framework, essentially relying on mans word, creationists are readily acceptable to God's word that clearly details the creation and age of the earth.

SOURCE
Nice post: items that present how to view the age of the Earth and Creation.

• Friendly
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Perhaps - have you asked Michael where he got panentheism from ?

A kind of panentheism can be got from Eastern Orthodoxy, but, like his astrophysics, Michael's version off it is all his own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,997.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And what is my definition?

The amount of maturity something has, as you defined it in THIS post.

Here are thirteen definitions.

Which one(s) are the one(s) I go with?

You go with none of them, because your definition is a flawed one that is not used by anyone who wants to have a meaningful discussion about age.

One down, twelve more to go.

Actually, I believe the definition I provided is identical in meaning to 1.c: "the length of an existence extending from the beginning to any given time"

Reactions: Obliquinaut
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Obliquinaut said:
This thread is making my brain hurt. What, exactly, have we learned here today?
That scientists move the decimal arbitrarily to make their theories fit.
Theories, like opinions, are like noses, everyone has one..........

Heb 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

5237286ff16e3cdd9959fa48986ee5af--double-standards-christians.jpg

upload_2017-8-14_10-33-50.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums