Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
agree. do you think we have a good evidence that nature can evolve naturally? secondly: do you think that the best explanation is evolution rather then creation?

this is a huge problem. the chance to get such a molecule is about one in a 4^200. or about 10^100.

ok. i have found this article and according to this it cant replicate itself:

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/46793/title/Using-RNA-to-Amplify-RNA/

"The 24-3 polymerase ribozyme cannot copy itself, however"

so if it cant replicate itself we cant call it a self replicating molecule.

Yes, it appears that the 24-3 polymerase can replicate other RNAs but perhaps not itself. I may have misread the section where they cite this article which is apparently a self-replicating RNA.

(2009) Self-sustained replication of an RNA enzyme. Science323(5918):1229–1232. Abstract/FREE Full Text

I'm not sure I understand your chance argument. Are you saying that 4^200 is the chance of getting the specific sequence? If so, that seems right. But, that "chance" assumes that other sequences would definitely not work, while the experiment shows that other sequences were generated with similar functions of which 24-3 was one of the best.

That these experiments have this degree of success suggests strongly that abiogenesis may well have worked via an RNA intermediate.

With regards to origins, I have no reason to suppose a supernatural (i.e. Magical) causation, when God is the author of nature and may create in his chosen manner. In fact, I believe that this is what we are studying. As the author of the natural world, there is nothing that I would describe as supernatural (magical). E.g. When Jesus turned water into wine, the wine was from a particular kind of grape(s), had an alcohol and residual sugar content consistent with fermentation by particular yeast from a particular place--and all excellent. That it took no time is not distressing. I do not accept a deistic division that gives nature freedom to operate independently of its author. But, this is a matter of faith/belief not strictly of evidence.

Upvote 0

Sine Nomine

Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't read all of your post but the last part is dead right.

We have no evidence of life coming from non-life: either by special creation or natural methods.

As you say, real science would say 'it's a bit of a mystery' at this point in our knowledge.

Real science does not say this. The "evidence" for abiogenesis is observational and incontrovertible. There was a time without biological life, only non-living matter, then life existed. The Bible and scientists agree with this point.

Contention exists over what happen exactly and how.

Are you familiar with ALL the evidence so that you are comfortable claiming that none exists??

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Real science does not say this. The "evidence" for abiogenesis is observational and incontrovertible. There was a time without biological life, only non-living matter, then life existed. The Bible and scientists agree with this point.

Contention exists over what happen exactly and how.

Are you familiar with ALL the evidence so that you are comfortable claiming that none exists??
If you can evidence life arising from non life I would be indebted to you.

Apropos of one of my best friends grew up in a house called Sine Nomine.

What a pleasant coincidence.

Upvote 0

Sine Nomine

Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If you can evidence life arising from non life I would be indebted to you.

Apropos of one of my best friends grew up in a house called Sine Nomine.

What a pleasant coincidence.

Why "life arising from non life" is a problem concept in this thread is really puzzling to me. I'll try to explain.

Science and the Bible have somewhat different answers to these questions.

Was there ever a time when biological life did not exist?

Science--at the Big Bang there was only hydrogen and it takes fusion in stars to make carbon. Life didn't appear until there was enough carbon in a terrestrial planet for life to emerge.

Bible--the earth was without form and void (empty--no life).

Is there life now?

Science--Yes
Bible--Yes

How did we get life from non-living matter?

Science--don't know, but self-replicating RNA likely preceded protein-based systems and multicellular life emerged from unicellular life.

Bible--God formed the living things and ultimately formed man from the dirt of the earth.

Since God is not a biological entity (God is Spirit), both Science and the Bible say that living things came from non-living material (abiogenesis). Science describes a physical process. The Bible ascribes creation of all things to God.

Does this provide the evidence you seek? If not, why and what evidence would be compelling?

• Agree
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

Abraxos

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,315.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why "life arising from non life" is a problem concept in this thread is really puzzling to me. I'll try to explain.

How did we get life from non-living matter?

Science--don't know, but self-replicating RNA likely preceded protein-based systems and multicellular life emerged from unicellular life.

Does this provide the evidence you seek? If not, why and what evidence would be compelling?
Not really.

There is no RNA that can copy itself from it's individual building blocks without a protein to help it do that. To make things worse, RNA is more unstable than DNA. In your cells there is about a million DNA breaks everyday. Most of those are fixed by the intricate repair systems in place in the cell, but if RNA is less stable than DNA and DNA requires intricate repair systems to survive over time, how can an RNA world which you are suggesting be remotely plausible?

4z0LDul.png

Also the building blocks of RNA are three fold. You have a sugar, a base, and phosphate. And naturally these things do not combine to form the nucleotide bases needed for RNA. So right from the start you have a problem even getting the building blocks for RNA let alone combining them. And the components of the building blocks are very unstable. The chromosomes and the bases decompose very quickly.

Any evidence of DNA just naturally poof into existence would be sufficient evidence.

Science--at the Big Bang there was only hydrogen and it takes fusion in stars to make carbon. Life didn't appear until there was enough carbon in a terrestrial planet for life to emerge.
Curiously, there have been no observable or testable instances of hydrogen 'evolving' into all the heavy elements in which we know of from the periodic table. It's a rather very fantastic claim. Science says explosions destroy things, not create things.

Upvote 0

Sine Nomine

Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Not really.

There is no RNA that can copy itself from it's individual building blocks without a protein to help it do that. To make things worse, RNA is more unstable than DNA. In your cells there is about a million DNA breaks everyday. Most of those are fixed by the intricate repair systems in place in the cell, but if RNA is less stable than DNA and DNA requires intricate repair systems to survive over time, how can an RNA world which you are suggesting be remotely plausible?

4z0LDul.png

Also the building blocks of RNA are three fold. You have a sugar, a base, and phosphate. And naturally these things do not combine to form the nucleotide bases needed for RNA. So right from the start you have a problem even getting the building blocks for RNA let alone combining them. And the components of the building blocks are very unstable. The chromosomes and the bases decompose very quickly.

Any evidence of DNA just naturally poof into existence would be sufficient evidence.

Curiously, there have been no observable or testable instances of hydrogen 'evolving' into all the heavy elements in which we know of from the periodic table. It's a rather very fantastic claim. Science says explosions destroy things, not create things.

I'm not sure that any of your statements are scientifically accurate.

The number of DNA double strand breaks in dividing cells is around 50 per day not a million. Most cells aren't actively dividing.

There's a great deal of research supporting the viability of an RNA world. Google and read about it. Also self-replicating RNA systems are possible. (In this article, 'enzyme' is not referring to a protein, but an RNA with enzymatic activity).

(2009) Self-sustained replication of an RNA enzyme. Science323(5918):1229–1232. Abstract/FREE Full Text

Stating that something can't happen is extremely arrogant. How do you know what can't happen?

The sugar (ribose), base, and phosphate of nuclei acids form naturally everyday everywhere in a process called nucleotide synthesis. RNA and DNA are also quite stable, so I don't know what you mean by saying otherwise.

Nucleic acids: Diversity, folding, and stability of nucleic acid structures - ScienceDirect

Hydrogen when fused to hydrogen in a star (or in a fusion reactor) becomes helium (a heavier element) releasing larger amounts of energy. Helium can also undergo fusion, producing heavier elements including Carbon. This process is called stellar nucleosynthesis.

Stellar nucleosynthesis - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it appears that the 24-3 polymerase can replicate other RNAs but perhaps not itself. I may have misread the section where they cite this article which is apparently a self-replicating RNA.

if so it cant be the first self replicating molecule.

I'm not sure I understand your chance argument. Are you saying that 4^200 is the chance of getting the specific sequence? If so, that seems right. But, that "chance" assumes that other sequences would definitely not work, while the experiment shows that other sequences were generated with similar functions of which 24-3 was one of the best.

true. so lets say that there are about a trilion other sequences that can prform this function. its still nothing compare to the whole space.

With regards to origins, I have no reason to suppose a supernatural (i.e. Magical) causation, when God is the author of nature and may create in his chosen manner. In fact, I believe that this is what we are studying. As the author of the natural world, there is nothing that I would describe as supernatural (magical).

agree. so what you are thinking about evolution? do you think that a natural evolution is the best explanation, or a creation de-novo, or actually a thheistic evolution?

Upvote 0

Abraxos

Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,315.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure that any of your statements are scientifically accurate.
Everything I pointed out about RNA and DNA is scientifically accurate. You on the other-hand have offered some inaccurate and incorrect statements. For one, your premise is that hypothesis' are evidence of anything which they're not; they're just imagined metaphysical ideas that hold no bearing in the scientific field of inquiry.

The number of DNA double strand breaks in dividing cells is around 50 per day not a million. Most cells aren't actively dividing.
Oxidated DNA damages you are looking at about 10,000 breaks at the very least. And that isn't taking in to account the other variables for DNA damages. The numbers vary but on average the amount of DNA damage due to normal metabolic activities and environmental factors such as radiation are indeed about a million per day. That number increases within smaller animals.

How did you come to only fifty DNA breaks per day?

There's a great deal of research supporting the viability of an RNA world. Google and read about it. Also self-replicating RNA systems are possible. (In this article, 'enzyme' is not referring to a protein, but an RNA with enzymatic activity).

Stating that something can't happen is extremely arrogant. How do you know what can't happen?

The sugar (ribose), base, and phosphate of nuclei acids form naturally everyday everywhere in a process called nucleotide synthesis. RNA and DNA are also quite stable, so I don't know what you mean by saying otherwise.

Nucleic acids: Diversity, folding, and stability of nucleic acid structures - ScienceDirect
The "RNA world" hypothesis came about from essentially understanding that RNA are capable to a very limited extent of being a catalyst, something that enzymes in a cell are essential for life to exist. It's a giant leap of a suggestion that this 'ability' in an RNA being a catalyst for life to exist is just that - a suggestion unfounded in quantitative scientific truths.

Also, DNA and RNA are most certainly not stable. I pointed out that there are on average a million DNA breaks per day, and this is within a closed-system (inside the cell membrane) and with the assistance of a repair process to keep the DNA functioning properly. If this instability is present in a closed-system in the present day (and according to Darwinism, organisms become 'better' over time), how much more difficult will it be for an RNA to survive in an open system even for a few nano seconds?

I imagine this primordial soup world would have largely consisted of water which would have made matters worse for an RNA world, because combining the necessary building blocks for RNA you would not want water present in the chemical reactions because water tends to destroy chemical reactions faster than they can form.

So it's not so much a hubris of stating an RNA world cannot happen, it's more about just how many variables are taken into account which add up to asking some honest questions as to how is this even a viable hypothesis.

Hydrogen when fused to hydrogen in a star (or in a fusion reactor) becomes helium (a heavier element) releasing larger amounts of energy. Helium can also undergo fusion, producing heavier elements including Carbon. This process is called stellar nucleosynthesis.

Stellar nucleosynthesis - Wikipedia
Without any demonstrable and testable observations, it's really just an extrapolated hypothesis based off supposedly helium 'evolving' from hydrogen. If nuclear fusion could indeed create gold or mercury from a base hydrogen - it would perhaps be something to take into account. As of yet, it's seemingly on par with alchemy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Probable paths..." Theories are built on words like "probable...likely...we can infer...maybe...must have...could have...millions and billions of unobservable and unverifiable and evidenceless years ago..." Theories are just fine if they have some actual data to back them up. They are pseudo science when they not only have no such data, but ignore the data that exists.
All proposals and models that make it to the level of theory in science not only have evidence supporting them, but have withstood years of testing and challenges.

Furthermore, theories do not ignore data that disagrees with them. If the evidence against them or aspects of them is strong enough, the theories MUST be changed or replaced entirely.

Terms such as "probably" and "most likely" are used when talking about theories because all scientific theories are falsifiable. As a result, there is always a chance, no matter how small, of evidence resulting in any given theory being changed or replaced, and thus it would be intellectually dishonest to treat any scientific theory as if it has no chance of being disproven in the future. Consider the fact that the idea that microbes cause disease, which is the germ THEORY of disease, has the potential to be disproven, even though we can literally watch viruses, bacteria, etc. cause infections from the start to the conclusion of whatever disease they cause. Just because words like "probably" have to be used in applications of it doesn't mean that there is much room for doubt.

The actual data, per the LAW of Biogenesis? Life always comes only from life and life of the same kind. If that is not scientific fact, kindly provide data to support your contention. Again, theories are fine if they don't ignore, dismiss, and contradict the actual evidence.
Ah yes, biogenesis, which is actually a part of cell theory, not some law. Laws in science mostly refer to mathematical equations used to represent physics, and they are still extensions of theories and models. A law in science is not stronger than a theory; there is nothing stronger than a theory in the field of science. Theories certainly have quite variable support to them, but a theory is the BEST you can get in science.

Even in labs, with intelligent design and high tech equipment, life has never been created.
Check out my abiogenesis thread, very simple RNA based life has been created in lab, and the system to build it is so low tech that you could actually do it yourself if you really wanted to put in the time, money, and effort. I'd be careful as to what you use as a spark source though, since you wouldn't want the whole system to explode (a disadvantage of needing to prevent anything outside of the experimental system from getting in and contaminating the results and that the internal environment needs to match up with the ancient Earth rather than modern day Earth is that it needs to be closed off).

The best they can do is take a cell and alter it with genetic engineering, or get some of the components of the cell, not all of them at all. Therefore there is no data, no evidence, no science to support so called abiogenesis, i.e. life from inorganic matter.
Cell organelles developed over the course of billions of years, it wouldn't make sense for an experimental trial to get them all within a few decades. Also, no one is claiming that you get life from inorganic matter. Organic matter is carbon based molecules. Table sugar is organic, for example, as is carbon monoxide. In fact, there is a wide variety of compounds which are carbon based, thanks to the fact that individual carbon atoms can form 4 bonds at a time (not an exclusive property of carbon, though carbon is the most common element with this property). Amino acids are organic, nucleotides are organic, organic life is made up of organic molecules. The term organic doesn't mean alive or coming from living things, it just means that the molecule or molecules in question have carbon in them.

The needed proteins and other components of a cell are not only not all there, they are not arranged as they need to be arranged - in statistically impossible ways if random chance had put them together.
-_- abiogenesis experiments have produced not only the 20 amino acids needed for most life on this planet, but a few extra. Plenty of proteins as well. Funny thing, in environments that simulate the ancient Earth, the extremely simple RNA based cells don't really need many proteins. RNA sequences capable of replicating themselves as long as there are nucleotides present (which are in the environment and pass into the cell) do the bulk of the work. RNA translates other forms of RNA to produce proteins. Even in modern cells such as our own, DNA just serves as a template for making the RNA that performs multiple important tasks.

No one has even gotten close to creating life. It should be easy. Just take a simple cell or any life form that has died. There you have all the physical components of life. So why can't anyone do a Dr. Frankenstein on any of them and put life back into them?
-_- and the point of that would be...? Sounds like a lot of time and effort to put into something that says nothing about existing theories and has no superior practical application to doing simple alterations to cells to make them perform a different function. It certainly would say nothing about the origin of life to use cell parts that came from modern, LIVING cells.

And before someone talks about the Miller and Urey experiment from the 60s, uh, they didn't get any life either. However, tons of peer reviews some decades ago claimed M & U showed life could come from inorganic matter in the conveniently untestable and invisible past. "Could have come" of course falls into the theoretical again. M & U didn't get life! They got the kinds of amino acids that destroy life. They got a few amino acids. So what? I have some amino acids in my supplement bottles. They don't gather the other complex and numerous components needed for a cell. They don't organize such parts into "simple" cells - actually more complex than a block of factories, with nano machines that make other nano machines - and spring to life.
Abiogenesis research didn't just stop in the 1960s. I refer you again to the thread I started called "Abiogenesis Progress".

Life comes from life. Life of the same kind. Every time. Period. That's what the data shows. If you prefer to believe in what has never been observed, and flat out contradicts what has been observed throughout history, that's your choice. Don't try to foist it off on me, though. I like real science, thank you.
You know, I always find it funny that people act like biogenesis and abiogenesis are contradictory theories, as if one has to be wrong for the other to be right. Here's the funny thing; the simple cells produced in more recent abiogenesis experiments are only considered alive if they are the product of reproduction. Basically, a protocell first forms, and once it divides into daughter cells with the same basic RNA that it had, then those daughter cells are considered living. So, yeah, in abiogenesis, the first recognized cells still came from a cell (even though that predecessor didn't come from a cell and isn't recognized as such in a formal way, it's essentially the same as the daughter cells, so the contention is a bit moot).

In any case, the conditions to produce these super simple cells no longer exist in nature, so abiogenesis truly is a relic of the past on this planet "revived" through only controlled, artificial environments that imitate that of the past.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not really.

This is of course a lie that Kent Hovind used to tell, in his "six definitions of evolution". Complete bogus definitions by the way. And apparantly this lie has been taken over by Abraxos (which doesn't mean Abraxos is a liar himself).

3:30 - 3:50
Then we should have chemical evolution. See the big bang supposedly made hydrogen.
How did we get 92 elements plus the synthetic ones? I mean, how did the chemicals evolve? They don't talk about that much but that would have to happen.

Now, to ask where the synthetic elements came from is plain dumb. The answer is in the question. Synthetic ones are man made. And that sinks Hovind's argument completely. Not only have we seen elements "evolve", we have even done it. And Hovind admits it per his "synthetic ones".

As for the statement "they don't talk about that that much":
google gives 729 000 results for nucleosynthesis.
Google scholar gives 103 000 results. I don't know how much more mr Hovind wants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"Probable paths..." Theories are built on words like "probable...likely...we can infer...maybe...must have...could have...

It's called intellectual honesty.

The actual data, per the LAW of Biogenesis?

Biogenesis is just the idea that life produces other life through an act of (a)sexual reproduction. It in no way excludes any type of origins of life itself - supernatural or otherwise.

After all, life did come into existance somehow.

Life always comes only from life and life of the same kind.

That's quite a claim. A claim that you can not demonstrate.

If that is not scientific fact, kindly provide data to support your contention

Why would the reader of your unsupported claim have the burden of proof?
Support your own claim. Your claims aren't to be considered true by default until the opposite is demonstrated....

Again, theories are fine if they don't ignore, dismiss, and contradict the actual evidence. Even in labs, with intelligent design and high tech equipment, life has never been created.

Pointing to the fact that a problem hasn't been solved, in no way supports the idea that it is unsolvable.

That's called the argument from ignorance / incredulity.

Just about everything we know and understand today, wasn't known or understood at some time in the past.

Before we knew what lightning was, people said that Jupiter was throwing lightning bolts.
That didn't work out all to well, did it?

The needed proteins and other components of a cell are not only not all there, they are not arranged as they need to be arranged - in statistically impossible ways if random chance had put them together.

Chemical bonds and reactions aren't really "random".
When you put 2 H atoms and an O atom together, they will bond into a water molecule given specific environmental conditions. Every single time. Would you call that "random"?
I wouldn't.

Just because we don't understand or know what the chemical formula /chain of events is that can potentially lead to a self-replication (organism), doesn't mean anything but that we don't know or understand.

It doesn't mean it's impossible. It doesn't mean it's unknowable. And neither does it mean the opposite. What it does mean, is that more work needs to be done.

No one has even gotten close to creating life. It should be easy.

Why should it be easy?

Just take a simple cell or any life form that has died. There you have all the physical components of life.

What you have there, actually, is a dead and modern cell that is the result of at least 3.8 billion years of evolution.

So why can't anyone do a Dr. Frankenstein on any of them and put life back into them?

Because we don't live in magical lala-land.

And before someone talks about the Miller and Urey experiment from the 60s, uh, they didn't get any life either.

They got complex organic building blocks of life. Molecules of which your ilk insisted that they were "too complex" to form naturally. Yet, there they were.
We're finding them in space rocks as well, by the way.

They got a few amino acids. So what?

So, creationists were wrong: such complex molecules can and will form naturally, given the right environmental conditions.

Life comes from life. Life of the same kind. Every time. Period. That's what the data shows.

And it says nothing at all about the origins of life.
It only says something about existing life.

If you prefer to believe in what has never been observed

You mean like magical resurections, splitting seas, having the sun "stop" in the sky, living in a fish for a couple of days, physically impossible floods, etc?

, and flat out contradicts what has been observed throughout history, that's your choice.
Abiogenesis hypothesis do not contradict any observation at any time.

I like real science, thank you.

Apparantly, you don't like bio-chemistry and biology.
And I'll bet that you won't be liking parts of physics and geology either.

Upvote 0

Abraxos

Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,315.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is of course a lie that Kent Hovind used to tell, in his "six definitions of evolution". Complete bogus definitions by the way. And apparantly this lie has been taken over by Abraxos (which doesn't mean Abraxos is a liar himself).

3:30 - 3:50
Then we should have chemical evolution. See the big bang supposedly made hydrogen.
How did we get 92 elements plus the synthetic ones? I mean, how did the chemicals evolve? They don't talk about that much but that would have to happen.

Now, to ask where the synthetic elements came from is plain dumb. The answer is in the question. Synthetic ones are man made. And that sinks Hovind's argument completely. Not only have we seen elements "evolve", we have even done it. And Hovind admits it per his "synthetic ones".

As for the statement "they don't talk about that that much":
google gives 729 000 results for nucleosynthesis.
Google scholar gives 103 000 results. I don't know how much more mr Hovind wants.
I do not particularly adhere to Kent Hovind. Some consensus' are legitimate without a doubt, while others require skeptical investigation. Overall, I do not particularly hold consensus' in science as authoritative without looking into the claims.

Anyway, though I agree that these "six definitions of evolution" are bogus as only microevolution is real, these definitions are nonetheless mainstream academic terms. Hardly bogus for an evolutionist so perhaps you may want to flip flop back on your previous comment.

Basically cosmic/chemical evolution is seemingly what is being suggested here; that a form of explosion (supernova where a nuclear fusion took place) literally turned hydrogen into all the heavy elements that make up our incredibly complex world and universe. However, I know of no known successful tests where hydrogen turned into gold or silicon or krypton, etc. Cosmic/chemical evolution seems to be unable to be observed through contemporary scientific methods.

Abiogenesis would also fall into this category as chemical evolution, for the idea was to see if organic molecules could come from inorganic precursors, and to do that they started from the most basic forms of chemistry. Unfortunately for them, seventy years of Miller-type experiments have not produced any positive results other than a few amino acids but in a mixture of left and right-handed forms (only left-handed molecules are found in the living).

Check out my abiogenesis thread, very simple RNA based life has been created in lab, and the system to build it is so low tech that you could actually do it yourself if you really wanted to put in the time, money, and effort.
The way you word this: "very simple RNA based life has been created in a lab" is quite misleading. It's like saying "I have successfully created a very simple 3.5 TB high end computer", when really you only have a piece of plastic. :/

You know, I always find it funny that people act like biogenesis and abiogenesis are contradictory theories,
Biogenesis and abiogenesis are contradictory. And they're not theories. One is real and the other is not real.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Real science reveals the real truth because it uses real data, not fantasies. Pseudo science ignores the real data and embraces fantasies that defy the real data.
Indeed, and this is why creation science is pseudoscience.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The way you word this: "very simple RNA based life has been created in a lab" is quite misleading. It's like saying "I have successfully created a very simple 3.5 TB high end computer", when really you only have a piece of plastic. :/

Biogenesis and abiogenesis are contradictory. And they're not theories. One is real and the other is not real.
-_- are you serious now, comparing a nonliving computer to living entities? Also, a more fitting comparison would be that the RNA based life is like a basic calculator, and modern cells are like laptops (in terms of comparing complexity). However, these basic RNA based cells do meet all the qualifications of life. They have a simple metabolism, genes that are passed down to daughter cells through reproduction via division, in the proper environment these processes are self-sustaining, their basic cell membrane maintains an internal environment that can be different from the external environment, they grow, and since they have genetic material, evolution applies to them.

It should be no shock that these experiments do not produce modern cell types that took millions of years at a minimum to develop. Personally, I am shocked that the abiogenesis experiments got this far just within a few decades.

Biogenesis is a part of cell theory, not a theory by itself. Furthermore, as the conditions for abiogenesis no longer exist outside of lab provided environments, both theories can be correct. In nature right now, abiogenesis simply cannot happen. Even in the few places that have environments somewhat similar to the ancient Earth, any life that started to develop would be out competed and consumed by the life already there that was billions of years of evolution ahead of it.

In any case, the antithesis to biogenesis is spontaneous generation, which claims that complex life such as maggots can arise from non-living matter. And it is true that nothing like a modern living cell can arise from anything but other cells, as biogenesis suggests. However, biogenesis only applies to such cells, not the ancient, first cells on this planet. But hey, if you can't handle both being right, then consider biogenesis disproven by abiogenesis experiments that did produce life from non-life if you want, I don't care, the cells are there so denying that they are alive is just willfully being ignorant at this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed

In fact the giant stars called carbon stars, which have strong spectral lines of molecular carbon and carbon compounds, do provide evidence that carbon is being produced in the cores of these stars by fusion of helium nuclei. Also, the presence in carbon stars and S-type stars of the element technetium (element 43), all of whose isotopes are radioactive with a maximum half-life of 4.2 million years, is evidence that these stars are producing technetium by nuclear reactions.

Also, it is incorrect to speak of hydrogen 'evolving' into heavy elements; the correct term is nucleosynthesis. At very high temperatures and pressures, hydrogen nuclei fuse together to produce helium nuclei, and helium nuclei fuse to produce carbon and oxygen. The elements up to iron are produced by fusion of carbon nuclei and capture of helium nuclei by other elements; the elements heavier than iron are produced by the capture of neutrons in giant stars and supernovae, and perhaps in colliding neutron stars. Evolution requires a genetic code with imperfect replication, which exists only in living things, not in the chemical elements.

• Informative
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Basically cosmic/chemical evolution is seemingly what is being suggested here; that a form of explosion (supernova where a nuclear fusion took place) literally turned hydrogen into all the heavy elements that make up our incredibly complex world and universe. However, I know of no known successful tests where hydrogen turned into gold or silicon or krypton, etc. Cosmic/chemical evolution seems to be unable to be observed through contemporary scientific methods.

You are correct that that hydrogen was not turned into 'all the heavy elements' in a single supernova explosion; such a thing would be impossible. Stellar nucleosynthesis occurs by stages, with different stages occurring in different types of stars, first producing helium from hydrogen, then carbon and oxygen from helium, and so on.

In more detail, main-sequence stars, such as the Sun, Sirius, Regulus and Spica, produce helium by fusing hydrogen nuclei; hydrogen fusion, in fact, is how most stars generate the energy that makes them luminous. Low-mass and medium-mass giant stars produce carbon and oxygen by fusing helium nuclei; also medium-mass giant stars produce about half of the heavy elements (including technetium) by neutron capture (the s-process). Very massive stars (the O and early B-type stars, with masses more than ten times the Sun's) evolve into red supergiant stars and luminous blue variables that produce the elements from neon to iron; when these massive stars explode as supernovae, they produce vast numbers of neutrons which are captured by iron-peak elements to produce the other half of the heavy elements (the r-process).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
I do not particularly adhere to Kent Hovind. Some consensus' are legitimate without a doubt, while others require skeptical investigation. Overall, I do not particularly hold consensus' in science as authoritative without looking into the claims.

Anyway, though I agree that these "six definitions of evolution" are bogus as only microevolution is real, these definitions are nonetheless mainstream academic terms. Hardly bogus for an evolutionist so perhaps you may want to flip flop back on your previous comment.

Abiogenesis would also fall into this category as chemical evolution, for the idea was to see if organic molecules could come from inorganic precursors, and to do that they started from the most basic forms of chemistry. Unfortunately for them, seventy years of Miller-type experiments have not produced any positive results other than a few amino acids but in a mixture of left and right-handed forms (only left-handed molecules are found in the living).

dont forget to add the self replicating trait to the computer. we can ask; does a self replicating computer is evidence for design? according to evolution its not, because its have a living trait.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
dont forget to add the self replicating trait to the computer. we can ask; does a self replicating computer is evidence for design? according to evolution its not, because its have a living trait.
Sigh, computers have other qualities that distinguish them from naturally occurring life other than the inability to replicate themselves. They don't have metabolisms, for one thing.

I have mentioned to you before the futility of this type of comparison: any artificial life that has all the traits of naturally occurring life is going to lose most if not all the means of distinguishing it from life that is naturally occurring. If it doesn't have all the traits of life, then it isn't comparable to begin with.

• Agree
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Sigh, computers have other qualities that distinguish them from naturally occurring life other than the inability to replicate themselves. They don't have metabolisms, for one thing.

and even if they had this trait they still be evidence for design. so its doesnt matter so much.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
and even if they had this trait they still be evidence for design. so its doesnt matter so much.
The answer is no. As long as there is a plausible natural process for the origin of a living organism (computer-like or not), and there is nothing about the living organism that demands design, we would NOT be able to tell that said organism was designed. Furthermore, if everything were designed, then we would have no comparative basis to distinguish design from not-designed, because the latter wouldn't exist. Without contrast, there is no distinction. When you believe that a rock and a super computer are equally created by an intelligence (albeit, different intelligent creators), stating that the complexity of the computer demands that it is created is just nonsensical, since no matter how simple or complex anything is, it is all created.

Furthermore, that fundamental flaw of your comparison is never going to go away: if there was an artificially created, living organism that was indistinguishable from naturally occurring life and the evidence for the creator of said organism didn't exist, that organism could never serve as evidence for a creator because no one would be able to tell that it was created to begin with.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.