Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
"that dry old organ music"

Speaking of organs... if one really stops to think about it, an organ can actually sound sort of evil if played a certain way. Think "haunted house" style, and people will know what I'm talking about. That's also considered a "traditional" style (predating today's music by a good 200 to 300 years), yet it can tend to sound really eerie to some ears.

I also understand there are some people who actually prefer that style, but do not have evil intentions when listening to it. They may associate with something different than what others would, and I am perfectly fine with that. Everyone is different, so any given style of music can have a positive effect on one person and a negative effect on another, while some may be indifferent. This is where we have to use our own best judgment as the Lord leads us in our own individual walks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of organs... if one really stops to think about it, an organ can actually sound sort of evil if played a certain way.

Oh, yeah. Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Weber. One of my favorite musicals.

The Phantom of the Opera Theme Song - YouTube

But I agree that doesn't mean the style shouldn't be used in church. We don't even have to pretend it would be "good". Wouldn't striking an evil or sad chord in a song have the right effect if the message was to avoid such things?

This is where we have to use our own best judgment as the Lord leads us in our own individual walks.

Romans 14.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Oh, yeah. Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Weber. One of my favorite musicals.

The Phantom of the Opera Theme Song - YouTube

Actually, that's pretty good. Probably because there is other instrumentation (drums, guitars, and such) along with it, and other elements. The sound is sort of scary, but in an entertaining way. Sometimes an organ used in music accents the mood it's supposed to create. And the vocalist has a pleasant voice.

Personally, however, I prefer organs played in a jazzy, bluesy style. Perhaps like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zk6HnGj4GM

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
But I agree that doesn't mean the style shouldn't be used in church. We don't even have to pretend it would be "good". Wouldn't striking an evil or sad chord in a song have the right effect if the message was to avoid such things?

I see what you're saying.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Personally, however, I prefer organs played in a jazzy, bluesy style.

I like it. When I listen to blues, I tend toward blues rock such as Stevie Ray Vaughan. I picked that up from my brother-in-law, who is an excellent guitar player. When I first met him, he was into more progressive stuff like Pink Floyd (yuck), but he went through a country phase and then into blues ... he wrote and produced his own blues album: Blues Disorder.

Me. I play (or used to play) violin, so I get into this:

Charlie Daniels 20 Orange Blossom Special - YouTube

Upvote 0

PacersRock44

Christ Follower
May 24, 2013
✟7,750.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I much prefer contemporary praise music over traditional music or hymnals in church and it's not because of my age. I just think that God has given us technology to reach out to younger people with newer generations of music. That's not to say I don't enjoy a nice Amazing Grace or Old Rugged Cross occasionally though. I do enjoy Southern Gospel at home, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
I just read that and although you can imagine the sort of dusty person that wrote it, it actually makes sense! I agree that Rock and Roll is worldly with a core based in the encouragement of sin.

I am not a fan of religious rock myself although I am always heartened when somebody comes from the dark side over to the light.

I would be interested to know where people think the line is drawn and why?

Well ... I suppose that line will be a little bit different for everyone but, as a Church body, I do believe that a line should probably exist.

I'm certainly a little old fashioned where the Church is concerned. I see a frontal assault on the church on several fronts these days which forces me to ask that cliché question: "What would Jesus do?" The Bible is the only place that records the life of Jesus and the Apostles so I routinely turn to it for inspiration and instruction.

For me, I have to hear the influence of the Holy Spirit in the song. The style, sound, meter, purpose, meaning, etc. of the tune has to sound reverent and worshipful. But that simply appeals to my tastes. I'm not of the opinion that the best way to reach the younger generation is to cloak oneself with a worldly facade. I believe that the best way to reach anyone of any generation is with the unadulterated truth. Kids can see right through a wrong approach.

Romans 12:2, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Well ... I suppose that line will be a little bit different for everyone but, as a Church body, I do believe that a line should probably exist.

I'm certainly a little old fashioned where the Church is concerned. I see a frontal assault on the church on several fronts these days which forces me to ask that cliché question: "What would Jesus do?" The Bible is the only place that records the life of Jesus and the Apostles so I routinely turn to it for inspiration and instruction.

For me, I have to hear the influence of the Holy Spirit in the song. The style, sound, meter, purpose, meaning, etc. of the tune has to sound reverent and worshipful. But that simply appeals to my tastes. I'm not of the opinion that the best way to reach the younger generation is to cloak oneself with a worldly facade. I believe that the best way to reach anyone of any generation is with the unadulterated truth. Kids can see right through a wrong approach.

Romans 12:2, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Can't disagree with any of this. Good work Batman! :)

Upvote 0
A

Ascendo

Interesting food for thought. True for false? Ya'll decide:

-Youtube video that I can't quote here-

May the seekers of truth find it.

This was a major bait and switch...

Aleister Crowley was a satanist. Rock musicians were influenced by him. Therefore, all rock music is satanic.

The beat, tempo, and chord structures are no more satanic than any other styles. The content is the issue, not the style.

There is absolutely no Biblical direction for musical worship style other than psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.

There is no formula or recipe for music that the Lord finds pleasing: He desires us to play skillfully, be creative, and give the glory to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
This was a major bait and switch...

Aleister Crowley was a satanist. Rock musicians were influenced by him. Therefore, all rock music is satanic.

The beat, tempo, and chord structures are no more satanic than any other styles. The content is the issue, not the style.

There is absolutely no Biblical direction for musical worship style other than psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.

There is no formula or recipe for music that the Lord finds pleasing: He desires us to play skillfully, be creative, and give the glory to Him.

Your opinion is duly noted.

How often do Rock & Roll bands borrow from the musical style of the traditional hymns? I can't think of a single instance.

Nevertheless, the back beat of Rock & Roll music appeals to the flesh with or without lyrics.

But I'll play devil's advocate and present some good, wholesome, Christian heavy metal:

Top 15 Christian Heavy Metal Bands (Part one) - YouTube

This ought to bring our youth to Christ: :confused:

Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting food for thought. True for false? Ya'll decide:

May the seekers of truth find it.

It's certainly blown my view of the Beatles into the weeds!

I was going to sing some Beatles songs at the church BBQ on the 22nd June but I think i'll stick to hymns!

It's difficult to separate truth from fiction but I certainly knew about Crowley but was astonished at his influence over John Lennon. I always thought Lennon was a follower of Indian religion. As for the fool Ozzy Osbourne, nothing surprises me about him. He was probably Alister Crowley's love child!

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
It's certainly blown my view of the Beatles into the weeds!

I was going to sing some Beatles songs at the church BBQ on the 22nd June but I think i'll stick to hymns!

It's difficult to separate truth from fiction but I certainly knew about Crowley but was astonished at his influence over John Lennon. I always thought Lennon was a follower of Indian religion. As for the fool Ozzy Osbourne, nothing surprises me about him. He was probably Alister Crowley's love child!

LOL. Lot's going on behind the scenes.

I grew up listening to all of those bands and hundreds of others like them. I'm a recovered alcoholic and drug addict. A day didn't go by that I wasn't high and listening to hard rock. Admittedly, I still listen to the much of the music of that era on occasion. It's still imbedded in my memory banks and brings me back to certain experiences. A depressed and melancholy time. It had a great deal of influence over me and had a prominent place in my life. Of course, these were my pre-Christian days but even then I recognized the satanic undertones and messages of rock & roll music. It's why I personally have a difficult time listening to Christian lyrics sung to the rock beat.

To be honest, I believe I'm sinning when I turn it on. It's almost an addiction that took the place of cigarettes, booze, and drugs.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Can you explain how a beat appeals to your flesh?

Rock and Roll Music Moves People
Rock and roll artists are not shy in stating their understanding of the music they play.
"Our music is capable of causing emotional instability, disorganized behavior, rebellion and even revolution." ...'The Beatles'
"The throbbing beat of rock provides a vital sexual release for adolescent audiences."...Jan Berry
"Pop music is sex, and you have to hit them in the face with it."...Andrew Oldham (recording manager for the 'Rolling Stones')
"I'm in rock music for the sex and narcotics."...Glenn Frey of 'The Eagles'
"Rock 'n' roll is 99% sex."...John Oates
"Everyone takes it for granted that rock and roll is synonymous with sex."...Chris Stein, lead guitarist with 'Blondie.'
"Rock music is sex. The beat matches the body rhythms."...Frank Zappa, superstar of 'Mothers of Invention' fame.
Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or should not do. I'm simply saying that whatever we do should be to the glory of God and should not give the "appearance" of evil. Many folks (including me) consider traditional rock & roll music to be satanic in nature. Not only do the lyrics of that type of music define the genre but so does the rhythm and the back beat. So ... for me, the beat reminds me of that genre.

Upvote 0