New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Why not have two (2) services? Have an early morning one of praise music only and have your traditional music during the regular church services. That is if your church is big enough.

That is exactly what my church has. We are not a very big church, but we manage to have the two services and they are both awesome! I still prefer the traditional worship service however.

Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That is exactly what my church has. We are not a very big church, but we manage to have the two services and they are both awesome! I still prefer the traditional worship service however.

This is my favourite option. With the help of God I will see if this can work.

Upvote 0

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why not try an early music service for the young people and then a traditional service at the regular church service? Maybe a different music director for the young peoples music.
This might solve one problem but create another one. It could lead to the young people being separated from the older ones in other church activities. The purpose of the church meeting together is to give all of the members of the body of Christ to use their gifts to help all of the other members.

If a church had a single service and included both kinds of music it would help those with a preference for one kind to better understand those whose taste in music is different and many could reach a point where they appreciate both kinds of music.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
If a church had a single service and included both kinds of music it would help those with a preference for one kind to better understand those whose taste in music is different and many could reach a point where they appreciate both kinds of music.

That certainly would be nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way, and sometimes it's to the point where people are so set in their ways that they are closed-minded to any other point of view. This doesn't only go for music issues, but other similar issues we may encounter, as well.

As for me, I've reached a point where I am tuned in to a variety of styles. I have prided myself for a long time of being pretty versatile in music. However, there was a time in my teens (yes, that's when peer pressure was at its peak and rearing its ugly head in my direction) when this wasn't exactly the case - well, at least not like it is now. I would mainly listen to the bubblegum music of the '80s/early '90s (which I thought was the most popular among those of my age at the time) and listen to snippets of oldies (basically what I considered to be retro "Top-40") and other things. But from my mid-teens to mid-20s, I absolutely could not bring myself to accept Southern Gospel or anything with the slightest country flavor. Yes, even the more progressive, pop-oriented end of the genre, as it was just that word "southern" that bugged me for some really stupid reason, and I thought I would be considered "nerdy" for listening to it. It wasn't until about the late '90s somewhere that I would grow to appreciate (and even enjoy) Southern gospel and just what a versatile, creative art it is within itself, and now I am listening to it along with everything else I listen to, and am happy to be myself when it comes to that. I could be listening to Randy Travis or the like one minute, Jaci Velasquez and Michael W. Smith (and other CCM fare) another, and some oldie of the big band/swing era then next - and of course, the list goes on. Now when I'm listening to music, I actually prefer it mixed.

But, I do realize that there are others who just aren't that versatile. Some are strictly pop/contemporary while others are strictly traditional when it comes to their music tastes. People will listen to music that speaks to them, and it seems to work best if they can actually enjoy what they hear. At the same time, they should try to understand another person whose personal taste in music may not be the same, even while keeping their own personal music preferences.

Now that I have bored everyone to death.... :yawn:

Last edited:
Upvote 0