People generally think ...
-some music is bad
-some is a bit off
-some is sort of ok
-some is fine

the truth?
that which does not honor God
is not of God.

that which is not of God is of the world.

that which is of the world is of the spirit of THIS world.

this includes your favorite worldly song...

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,313.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why just music? Does your house honor God? Your food? Your television? The books and magazines you read? Does your job honor God? Your computer, (all of the time)? Does your bed honor God? Your dog? Your cat?

While on the one hand I'm taking it to a ridiculous level, on the other it really won't hurt us all to look at our lives and see if we are actually honoring God in all things.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the OP and even jim. We must in all things honor God at all times. But music is one of those sneaky things were people can steadfastly believe there is nothing wrong with their favorite tune regardless of who sings it.

Music is so dangerous because of its ability to penetrate our heart. Like how they say if you play classical music around your children it will enhance their knowledge and learning. Music affects people.

Some will say this is a Romans 14 thing, but I'm not so sure. I do agree with you both though. Good topic of discussion. Perhaps I can add something I put up here a long time ago on the subject to better explain myself.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I am pretty sure my dog does not honor God.

... then again, he behaves like a dog, which is exactly how God created him to behave.

So maybe he does honor God, in his own way.

Well yes, your dog/cat behave as they should. I think what jim was getting at was how we raise our pets, does it honor God? For instance, do you love them and care for them, or do you abuse them and mistreat them? :)

But the OP is about music, let's try not to get sidetracked... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,313.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess I was just saying that it is possible to get a bit too legalistic about music, or anything for that matter. I agree that music is important, and that we need to be careful with it. I'm sorry if I gave any other impression. I'm more emotional than usual right now, so my posts may reflect that.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I was just saying that it is possible to get a bit too legalistic about music, or anything for that matter. I agree that music is important, and that we need to be careful with it. I'm sorry if I gave any other impression. I'm more emotional than usual right now, so my posts may reflect that.

You're fine. :thumbsup: and you did bring up some valid points, we may well honor God with our music and not with other things and that is just as wrong... Praying for you brother and friend...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
MUSIC ...GUARD YOUR HEART.
trash thrash
rock
rave
rap
pop
country

-some music is bad
-some is a bit off
-some is sort of ok
-some is fine

the truth?
is not of God.

And who determines what songs "honor" God? You?

Christianity is most of all about what and Who we are for, not what we are against.

Upvote 0

Nickybobby

erudite
Oct 28, 2011
Kirkland, WA
Visit site
✟21,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Legalism? It's not even legalism, it's just ludicrous (not the artist) to declare that certain genres if music go against God. Statements like that don't tend to draw people towards Christ. It's reminds me a lot of the "my Bible is the rightest Bible" argument I hear/read so often.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
MUSIC ...GUARD YOUR HEART.
trash thrash
rock
rave
rap
pop
country

-some music is bad
-some is a bit off
-some is sort of ok
-some is fine

the truth?
is not of God.

When I was a 'teen', I found the 'rock and roll' of that age was very enticing to me, and I listened to it nearly non stop... In those early days, it did not have the foul language, the hateful lyrics, the violent message, but it had some errors of teaching, and it was compelling.

I could imitate the singers, sound much like them, had the songs memorized, and was mesmerized by them, unable to break free from almost constant listening to them...

God finally spoke to me, and told me that this music was bad for me, and if I wanted to serve Him, wanted to go into the ministry, that I would need give up all rock and roll... He told me not to judge others who did not, for this was a personal thing for me. It was not 'legalism', it was 'obedience'. I did not think it 'saved' me to give that up, but it removed a great hindrance to what the Lord wanted me to do.

I started a quartet with some others, and we sang gospel songs. I ceased listening to rock and roll, even though many of them had 'lyrics' that were not shameful. Today, I would preach against singing or listening to lyrics that would shame my Lord, or would corrupt my thinking, so there is more music today that is 'sinful' for anyone. Yet, there are still songs that are not sinful, not encouraging sin or violence or sinful anger. Others may listen to that, and answer to the Lord.

Yet, for me, if I listened to even the 'good' rock and roll, I would be enticed again back into this passion for it, and be drawn away from the Lord, so, after 50 years, I am still avoiding rock and roll music.

I also avoid polka music, not because God told me to, but because I hate it.

When walking in a mall, or somewhere I cannot turn the rock and roll music off, I have learned to change the words to worship words, and in my heart I sing to the Lord, letting the music for those moments be worshipful. That keeps me from being drawn away from my Lord.

Is some music sinful... yes... It is not the style that makes it so... it is the words. You could have sinful hymns too, if you inserted worship of the devil to the words. Words that stir sinful thoughts, words that speak lies not to be believed, words that worship devils, words that blaspheme our Lord, words that are filthy talk, make any music sinful... even hymns...

The style, the beat or lack of it, the instrumental choices, the excitement or calming of it, does not make it sinful... UNLESS... it gains a control on one and hinders one's spiritual growth. Even the 'good' rock and roll songs did this to me, so for me... that is still sinful. It is on a list of sins that is personal, not for me to judge anyone else for their contrary stand.

In most cases, for anyone else, the only 'sinful music' is music made sinful by the words, not by the style of the music.

In the book of Psalms, it says that God loves 'cymbal' music... and that is one kind of music I may not enjoy... to imagine even an orchestra of various sizes of cymbals, and the banging of those over and over producing what some might call 'music' is not an appealing thought to me... so, in heaven, during the cymbal orchestration events, I may be in the heavenly library till it is over... LOL So that kind of 'beat' music, to me, is not sinful, for God loves it, but for me, it is a reason to be in a different part of heaven on one of my other tasks... LOL

Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My Supermarket plays some really great oldies, Elvis, Crosby Stills Nash, and oh yeah, they added Young. I really enjoy it, helps me shop better. I don't like the 50's stuff though, kind of depressing to me. Neil Diamond seems nerdy, but he was talented. Carole King,m I can take here or leave her, some Fleetwood Mac was good, I hate the Rolling Stones, like some Beatles.

Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some of my girlfriends, need paryer. They are in these really legalistic churches, where they think they are being obedient, by not wearing pants, or makeup, and of course the only jewelry allowed is a wedding ring. I guess it's like the music thing, legalism can come in many forms. Please pray for Clara, June, and Maria. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PersephonesTear

Jul 14, 2013
✟9,344.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
well it doesn't dishonor him.Music makes me happy if im happy im a better person ergo i listen to music.People sing hymns whats the differance
Well I would say that if it makes you happy, then it is uplifting you and encouraging you. And that is honoring to God. :)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I would say that if it makes you happy, then it is uplifting you and encouraging you. And that is honoring to God. :)

That's a dangerous stance to have, whatever pleases us is honoring to God... I HIGHLY doubt that

Upvote 0

PersephonesTear

Jul 14, 2013
✟9,344.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
That's a dangerous stance to have, whatever pleases us is honoring to God... I HIGHLY doubt that
We're not talking about something that, in and of itself, is inherently bad. So it's not like saying that stealing honors God if it makes you happy. Music can be good, bad, or neutral depending upon context. If he's listening to tunes that uplift him, that adds the context that it is good and therefore honors God.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We're not talking about something that, in and of itself, is inherently bad. So it's not like saying that stealing honors God if it makes you happy. Music can be good, bad, or neutral depending upon context. If he's listening to tunes that uplift him, that adds the context that it is good and therefore honors God.

ok well the context is needed. Thanks for clarification... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The responses are interesting.
And I think wherever Jin was coming from what was said is quite correct. Grace84 I expected no less from lol your passion for the lord is always inspiring.

A lot of people know a lot of things about music.but a lot of it is getting buried.
Yet the music industry is screaming it at us very loud.

From God.. love the lord your God with all your strength..-holy bible

From the devil-do what you want(wilt)-satanic bible.

I did it my way..
Do what you want..

Do you know how many songs say this?it's astounding.

Maybe older folk avoided heavy rock,preferred the beach boys maybe?

"
We were doing witchcraft, trying to make witchcraft music."
—Brian Wilson,band member.

The manifestation of ancient demons is becoming rampant in all worldly music.

Don't make me the only one to say about it.
Every one ,go research .
Look for two spirits.
One says ,,our father in heaven hallowed be thy name,thy kingdom come THY WILL BE DONE.

The other spirit (antichrist) says,suggests,insinuates,implies AND SHOUTS..Do what you want.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.