Iron Lion

Veteran
Feb 18, 2004
✟2,649.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
put all religious agruments aside. prayers are needed due to this massive, massive tragedy. Im amazed at the lack of news coverage or people talking about this over the boards.

from news.com.au

MORE than 13,500 people are now reported to have died and tens of thousands are homeless after a massive undersea earthquake triggered giant tsunami waves across Asia.

The 9.0 magnitude earthquake that struck off the Indonesian island of Sumatra yesterday was the biggest in 40 years.

It triggered waves that reared up into walls of water as high as 10 metres as they hit coastlines in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.

Agence France-Presse is now reporting the death toll at 13,773 across southern and southeast Asia.

IN INDONESIA: at least 4448 people were killed as the country took the full force of the earthquake and waves that swallowed entire coastal villages.

IN SRI LANKA: 4859 people were confirmed dead and 1538 others reported missing, relief officials and Tamil Tiger rebels said.

IN SOUTHERN INDIA: at least 3998 people were killed, the Press Trust of India reported.

The Indian toll included nearly 2500 in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu and about 1000 in the tiny Andaman and Nicobar Islands, close to the epicentre of the Indonesian earthquake, the agency said.

IN THAILAND: at least 392 people were killed, including foreign tourists at seaside resorts, and 3000 injured, officials said.

IN MALAYSIA: 42 people, including many elderly and children, were killed, officials said.

In THE MALDIVES: a British tourist and 31 other people died in the low-lying areas, officials said.

IN BANGLADESH: a father and child were killed after a tourist boat capsized from large waves, officials said.

prayers are needed for all :prayer:

i know this doesnt fit this non christian religion catogory but somthing this big is needed by all faiths to prayed for.

thanks guys

Faithful nonbeliever

Professional arguer
Jul 18, 2004
Alaska
✟8,556.00
Faith
Agnostic
Crispie said:
Remember, dont pray for those who have passed on, but pray for those who have yet to be found, those who are in need of help.
Why exactly should people not pray for the dead? Simply because you believe they are already lost without hope? How kind.
If they would have prayed beforehand would the earthquake have been prevented?
I feel sympathy for those people and wish the best for the survivors, but I'm afraid praying won't help either.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I meet hardship, I turn to the Qur'an, Surah 94. The title of this surah is AL-INSHIRAH, which can translate as solace, consolation or relief.

In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Have We not expanded for you your breast,
And taken off from you your burden,
Which pressed heavily upon your back,
And exalted for you your esteem?
Surely with difficulty is ease.
With difficulty is surely ease.
So when you are free, still toil.
And turn to your Lord all your attention.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I can certainly say that i will add my prayers with anyone else concerning this devastating quake in Southeast Asia...While we live from day to day we are not always conscious of how fragile life can be...our own included, so we need to be thankful for each day God has given us.

Abdul-Baha revealed the following prayer:

O my Lord! Thou knowest that the people are encircled with pain and calamities and are environed with hardships and trouble. Every trial doth attack man and every dire adversity doth assail him like unto the assault of a serpent. There is no shelter and asylum for him except under the wing of Thy protection, preservation, guard and custody.

Upvote 0

coyoteBR

greetings
Jan 18, 2004
✟2,288.00
Faith
I will pray for the ones that leaved this planet, for then to have the peace of spirit to recognize their fate and continue their journay;
I will pray for those who loose the few things they have, to have the strengh of will to continue their fight and lifes, with love on their hearts.
I will pray for the missing ones, hoping they can be find and re-united with their loving ones.
I will pray, above all, to the volunteers and donatorns, who help healing the pain, phisical and emotional.
I will pray for the international comunity, to send all the pssible help - with inteligence: sometines, those helping organizations donate skiing clothes to poor comunities on Africa - makes perfect sense.

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I heard about this tragedy yesterday morning.

I'll use some wishing magic. It's not much, but it's the best I can do from my home in the middle of the United States.

I'd much rather be able to actively help rescue people, but this will have to suffice.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste all.

when tragedies strike, all of humanity gets a sense of our interconnectedness with each other.

the latest news reports have the total at over 44,000 and climbing. they sent spotter planes over some of the smaller islands and they've not seen any human survivors on some of them.

in my tradition, when someone transitions into their next state of being, we traditionall recite the Heart Sutra for their benefit and ours, to wit:

Maha-Prajna-Paramita-Hridaya Sutra
(The Heart Sutra)
When Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva was practicing the profound Prajna Paramita, he investigated and perceived the five Skandhas and saw that they were all non-existent, thus securing his deliverance from all suffering and difficulty.

"Shariputra, form does not differ from emptiness; emptiness does not differ from form. Form itself is emptiness; emptiness itself is form. So too are feeling, cognition, mental function and consciousness in relation to emptiness.

Shariputra, all dharmas are empty of characteristics. They are not created, not annihilated, not impure, not pure, and they neither increase nor decrease. Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, feeling, cognition, mental function, or consciousness; no eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body and mind; no sights, sounds, smells, taste, touch, and ideas; no field of the eyes, up to and including no field of mind-consciousness, and no ignorance or ending of ignorance, up to and including no old age and death, or ending of old age and death. There are no Four Noble Truths, no wisdom and no gain.

Because nothing is gained, the Bodhisattva, through reliance on Prajna Paramita, has no hindrances in his heart. Because there is no hindrance, he is not afraid, is free from contrary and delusive ideas and attains the Final Nirvana.

All Buddhas of the past, present and future attain enlightenment through reliance on Prajna Paramita. Therefore, know that Prajna Paramita is a great spiritual mantra, a great bright mantra, a supreme mantra, an unequalled mantra. It can remove all suffering; it is genuine and not false. That is why the mantra of Prajna Paramita was spoken. Recite it like this:

GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crossrunner

Serving the Lord joyfully since 1981!
Aug 8, 2004
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟24,117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Father we come before you now and pray that you bring comfort to the people who are currently suffering due to this awful tragedy. I weep for the ones who are lost and I weep for their families. Please impress upon people to do all they can through prayer, donations, volunteering to help these souls. Its in Jesus precious name I pray.
Amen

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
Iron Lion said:
put all religious agruments aside. prayers are needed due to this massive, massive tragedy. Im amazed at the lack of news coverage or people talking about this over the boards.

from news.com.au

IN INDONESIA: at least 4448 people were killed as the country took the full force of the earthquake and waves that swallowed entire coastal villages.

IN SRI LANKA: 4859 people were confirmed dead and 1538 others reported missing, relief officials and Tamil Tiger rebels said.

IN SOUTHERN INDIA: at least 3998 people were killed, the Press Trust of India reported.

The Indian toll included nearly 2500 in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu and about 1000 in the tiny Andaman and Nicobar Islands, close to the epicentre of the Indonesian earthquake, the agency said.

IN THAILAND: at least 392 people were killed, including foreign tourists at seaside resorts, and 3000 injured, officials said.

IN MALAYSIA: 42 people, including many elderly and children, were killed, officials said.

In THE MALDIVES: a British tourist and 31 other people died in the low-lying areas, officials said.

IN BANGLADESH: a father and child were killed after a tourist boat capsized from large waves, officials said.

prayers are needed for all :prayer:

i know this doesnt fit this non christian religion catogory but somthing this big is needed by all faiths to prayed for.

thanks guys
Are you serious? You want to stand and pray with people praying to pagan gods? No freaking way. I will never stand in prayer with anyone praying to anyone but YHWH. We are called to be seperate. We are asked, "what fellowship does light have with darkness?"

Yes, it is a major trajedy but Jesus is a big enough God to take care of it the way He sees fit and we do not need to go to demons to help Him out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.