Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman win this year’s Nobel Prize in Medicine for their mRNA vaccine discoveries that made the COVID vaccines possible

Karikó and Weissman first published their seminal work on mRNA vaccines in 2005 when they worked together at the University of Pennsylvania. Their research overcame major obstacles to the use of in-vitro mRNA (synthetic) technology, such as the inflammatory response by the body that involves the production of harmful cytokines.

“What’s important here I think is that vaccines can be developed so fast, and this was as we just heard, largely due to improvements in technology and this basic discovery that allowed this,” Gunilla Karlsson-Hedestam, a member of the 2023 Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine, said at this morning’s announcement.

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great ! Computer simulations that they said would be needed to be done again every six months to two years perhaps, because the computer simulated ingredients would disable a persons immune system and they would not be able to fight infections normally any more.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,532.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
SCIENCE!!

The building blocks that allowed covid vaccines to be created so fast.
The real science was the microscopic chip they put in the vaccine that somehow was powerful enough to broadcast... something... to the government. At least that's what my "good, conservative Christian" relatives think...

• Informative
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Tiny computer chips used for tracking food, tickets and other items are getting even smaller. Hitachi Ltd., a Japanese electronics maker, recently showed off radio frequency identification, or RFID, chips that are just 0.002 inches by 0.002 inches and look like bits of powder.Feb 22, 2007

Hitachi shows off world's smallest RFID chip - NBC News​

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You want to know the really funny part? Or maybe "funny" isn't the right word...maybe it's more like ironic or "tragic comedy"...

Take a look at who's name was also cited on that same research and development effort along side these other two names that won the Nobel.

(you have to use some special search tools to find it these days)
That "R.W. Malone" name shows up quite a bit.

In a few studies published by Kariko, Malone is directly cited in the work.

I wonder if he'll get a "shout out" in that acceptance speech lol.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Great ! Computer simulations that they said would be needed to be done again every six months to two years perhaps, because the computer simulated ingredients would disable a persons immune system and they would not be able to fight infections normally any more.

What are you talking about? I've had four COVID vaccine shots and my immune system is working fine.

Upvote 0