"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As an older person who spends a lot of time home alone, I enjoy good movies but limit my viewing to movies (mostly on DVD) that do not contain explicit nudity/sex or offensive language. We all have different standards - for instance, I like some war movies and tolerate higher levels of violence than some Christians. Also I tolerate low level coarse language, but turn off when I hear "Jesus" or "Christ" used as expletives.

These days we can order online a great range of movies, both old & new, but we need to be aware of the titles to source them, and we need to have some idea if it will suit our sensibilities before spending our money.

A recent DVD I watched was "Daniel Deronda" (2002) based on a book by George Elliot and set in Victorian England. It met all my criteria for a good movie - it was visually splendid, morally sound, and an entertaining story. It also contained an amazing insight into the rise of Zionism in the 19th century and the subsequent establishment of modern Israel some 70 years later.

I would really like to hear about other movies (from 40's to current) that other Christians have found enjoyable. For instance, I recently learned that you can still buy the 5 hour 1974 tv series starring Burt Lancaster "Moses the Lawgiver" quite cheaply.

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I own a lot of DVDs and Blu-Ray Disks!! I really like Christian movies a lot!! ;)
There seem to be movies with good values available on Youtube these days. If you come across any with a good Christian message, please post a link.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In general, before I watch any film, I check the IMDb's Parents' Guide, so I can get an idea of how much violence and profanity I will have to endure if I decide to watch the film. If I decide the there is too much, I will pass.

I can bear with hearing a few swear words (otherwise, I would watch very few movies), but, if I see that swearing occurs too commonly in a film, I am likely to avoid it. In general, the use of God's name in vain, although I disagree with it, does not impact me as much, and I am less likely to use that criterion in judging a film, although I admit I do not like to hear my God's name misused in vain. Nevertheless, I prefer to hear someone say ‘Oh my God’ than ‘&<@£*%#»+!~§/-?\’.

As for violence, it just depends on what there is to see; I can bear with most violence in most movies I watch, but I am also rather sensitive, which means that, occasionally, a few things may really shock me.

Regarding sex and nudity, well... Depending on how I'm feeling, that could be either a reason to watch it or a reason not to watch it... I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Here are some of the best films I have recently watched (all of which I recommend), as well as my comments and ratings:
  • God's Not Dead — a very good Christian film, which I highly recommend. No questionable content, of course! — 10/10
  • Gravity — an interesting drama which takes place in space. Contains one F-word and a number of S-words (five to ten, I suppose), which I can still tolerate, but it is still notably interesting. Some brief images may be slightly disturbing to a few more sensitive people. — 8/10
  • Road to Redemption — a very good Christian comedy. It highly recommend it also, and it has no questionable content. — 10/10
  • The Sound of Music — an interesting musical, non-Christian, but with no questionable content. I really liked this film. — 10/10
  • Woman in Gold — an interesting film regarding World War II. It contains one F-word and two S-words, but it is still a good film. — 9/10

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Chariots of Fire is an outstanding classic movie! There is the Lord of the Rings series, too, which is my all-time favorite movie series. No sex or coarse language in the trilogy but a lot of battle violence and some extremely freaky creatures (orcs, goblins, a massive spider, the nazgul, etc.) I really like that the line between good and evil is clearly drawn in the movie and that, in the end...well, watch the series for yourself. :satisfied: The Hobbit series is entertaining, as well, but it's not on the same epic scale as the Lord of the Rings. It avoids sex and foul language, but has some pretty serious action sequences. I also enjoy the Captain America movies. Cap is a truly heroic character, not some cynical, morally-ambivalent anti-hero who does the right thing begrudgingly. There is minimal bad language in the movie and there is no sexual content. You might also enjoy Les Miserable with Liam Neeson as Valjean and Geoffrey Rush as Javert (though there are some rough bits in the film).

If you like humorous movies, you might try the Rowan Atkinson spy spoofs Johnny English and Johnny English Reborn. Atkinson does not play a Mr. Bean kind of character in these films and the spoofing isn't over-the-top. Some of the humor is a bit coarse but it never becomes grossly sexual or perverted. There is no hard language and no sexual stuff in the films (that I can recall). In the same vein is the movie Galaxy Quest, starring Tim Allen, which I found enormously funny. It's been some time since I watched the Star Trek parody film, but I don't recall wincing at the language and there is no sexual or crude humour in it (though there is a bit of a mild running gag about the bust of Sigourney Weaver's character being the only reason she is part of the crew).

Older films I might suggest are: A Raisin in The Sun with Sidney Poitier, To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck, Dial "M" for Murder with Grace Kelly, Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart, North by Northwest with Cary Grant, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness with Ingrid Bergman, My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn, and Roman Holiday with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. There are, of course, many, many others I could recommend but these come to mind most readily.

As you may have realized by now, I am rather a movie buff. :ok:

Upvote 0

Bethany35

Liberal Christian, Jesus loves all
Oct 4, 2015
London
✟19,055.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I watch a wide range of films and DVDs, some with brilliant social and psychological messages (Boyhood/Little Miss Sunshine), as well as being a huge disney fan. Am looking forward to the new film about the passion coming out at our cinemas in England on Good Friday, Risen.

Upvote 0

alexier

Stand Firm In Faith
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2007
North Wales
✟121,233.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm a movie lover too so glad to see this club on CF! I watched a fab movie yesterday with the Parish ladies called 'The Lady in the Van' It was based on an Alan Bennett book and was excellent...I've also downloaded the Snoopy movie (I was brought up on Snoopy and regularly use the Peanuts books for assemblies) My fave films of all time are :-
Regeneration (Behind the Lines)
Carrie
Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith
A month in the Country
Rebel without a cause

Lots more too....I also love Hitchcock movies, they are fab esp Rear Window

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NOTWHATIWAS

I take my stage direction from God.
Jun 27, 2016
Oregon, USA
✟20,309.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I,m always on the look out for pure, lovely and excellent entertainment. However, I must confess that I like CHEESY movies-the CHEESIER the better. At this time of year, especially Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyk is one of my favorites.

Upvote 0

DreadCthulhu

Feb 2, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟3,186.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally, don't care if there if course language or nudity in the movies I watch. If I did, I would miss out on horror movie classics like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas, My Bloody Valentine, and Saw 1. They might not be the tamest movies, but you bet your gluteus maximus they're good ones!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I personally, don't care if there if course language or nudity in the movies I watch. If I did, I would miss out on horror movie classics like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas, My Bloody Valentine, and Saw 1. They might not be the tamest movies, but you bet your gluteus maximus they're good ones!
I don't know why ppl want to watch such stuff, honestly.

For myself, I do prefer things like historical documentaries.

Upvote 0

DreadCthulhu

Feb 2, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟3,186.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why ppl want to watch such stuff, honestly.

For myself, I do prefer things like historical documentaries.
It's because a good slasher really gets the heart pumping in a way few other forms of entertainment can. Plus, it's pretty fun to laugh at how cheesy many of them are. Exihibit A: Thankskilling. That movie only had a budget of 3500 dollars, but went on to amass a dedicated cult following.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
wouldn't it be cool to start the actual step for a movie club and give it a name? have someone assigned to each type of breaking down category to each person to whatever movie you watch...lol...have your own website about it, give people nicknames. have gathering events in a room with surround sound of course all together in a dark room, haha. i mean think about it...have one guy break it down mathematically, have another break it down realistically. that would be awesome. how about shows too like scooby doo. the first five minutes challenges to scooby doo to know the villian right away and see if you're right in the end. it'd be hilarious. randomly delicious i know but hilarious.

Upvote 0

Rugged Cross

Jun 18, 2020
Orkney Islands
✟13,678.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
Like many I prefer the more cleaner films. However, have a weakness for some horror films. But, the ones I tend to like are early Brit or US comedies, horror/monster films made between the 30's and 70's. They use innuendo or the double entendre without actually cursing. For example 'Carry On...' films are great, early black and white films are great, films by Universal or Hammer.

Upvote 0