Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi i know the Bible says married womena re to cover their heads in church if they are praying or prophesying. what about single women? these days single women are not under male headship as we don't get amrried in our teens straight from living in our father's home. so we are not under headship of our father nor a husband.

so do we need to cover? or not?

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a lady, but in my opinion there's nothing wrong with doing it. It shows humility, and reverence to God. Whether you need to or not would depend largely on your perspective on it I'd think, and that of your clergy.

It's also worth mentioning that in the centuries prior to the 20th century it was very common both in western, and eastern Christianity. It still is in many Orthodox countries, and for married or single women to my knowledge.

Also you'll notice that in all icons of Christ's Mother her head is covered, and I can't think of a better woman for women to want to emulate personally.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi i know the Bible says married womena re to cover their heads in church if they are praying or prophesying. what about single women? these days single women are not under male headship as we don't get amrried in our teens straight from living in our father's home. so we are not under headship of our father nor a husband.

Paul was addressing the behavior of a church in Corinth about two thousand years ago. In order to show others their "correct" behavior women covered their heads.

Our society has just about zero in common with ancient Corinth, so IMHO a woman should dress in the way she considers appropriate in church. The church in which I was an elder had no specific requirement for women's attire.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi i know the Bible says married womena re to cover their heads in church if they are praying or prophesying. what about single women? these days single women are not under male headship as we don't get married in our teens straight from living in our father's home. So we are not under headship of our father nor a husband.

Let's walk through the scriptures to answer this.

Where did you get the belief "married women are to cover their heads in church if they are praying or prophesying"?

Where do you get your understanding of "male headship"?

If we no longer don't get married as teens and go from living in our father's home to living with our husband.... then why don't we do that? Should we not do what they did in the Bible? Are you being disobedient by not marrying as a teen? Are you being disobedient for leaving your fathers home to live independently? Are you being disobedient by not having male headship? How do you justify all these disobediences but wonder about head coverings?

Whichever way this conversation goes, I recommend you pick up a copy of J. Lee Grady's "Ten Lies the Church Tells Women." I'll post a couple of other recommendations when I get home and check my library because I think H. Wayne House wrote a fairly good book on the subject, as did John Piper but I'm not sure they are the authors.

The first witnesses to the resurrection were women.
Priscilla is given preeminence over her husband Aquila three of the fourtimes they are mentioned.
Deborah was a prophetess who served as Judge over Israel. She sat under the palm tree of Deborah and the sons of Israel came to her for judgment. She led an army of men into battle. I'm fairly confident the only hat she wore was a helmut :cool:.

These are some of the many exceptions to the rule. Their existence has a purpose.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Where did you get the belief "married women are to cover their heads in church if they are praying or prophesying"?

If we no longer don't get married as teens and go from living in our father's home to living with our husband.... then why don't we do that? Should we not do what they did in the Bible? Are you being disobedient by not marrying as a teen? Are you being disobedient for leaving your fathers home to live independently? Are you being disobedient by not having male headship? How do you justify all these disobediences but wonder about head coverings?

Whichever way this conversation goes, I recommend you pick up a copy of J. Lee Grady's "Ten Lies the Church Tells Women." I'll post a couple of other recommendations when I get home and check my library because I think H. Wayne House wrote a fairly good book on the subject, as did John Piper but I'm not sure they are the authors.

Priscilla is given preeminence over her husband Aquila three of the fourtimes they are mentioned.
Deborah was a prophetess who served as Judge over Israel. She sat under the palm tree of Deborah and the sons of Israel came to her for judgment. She led an army of men into battle. I'm fairly confident the only hat she wore was a helmut :cool:.

These are some of the many exceptions to the rule. Their existence has a purpose.

No disobedience in my case. am not wanting to marry and also i didnt have option of living with my father who abused me for 25 years until i managed to escape him an dwas moved to safe place.

nowhere in Bible does it say adults have to live with their parents. obey your parents was for children.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God never commanded us to stay with an abuser.....

God wanted me alive and safe. when i lived with my father i sinned more htan one by trying to end my life. so di dmy sister the same. and she is a very Godly lady. so no am in no disobedience. sometimes i feela lot of guilt over leaving but that i s most liely the devil

there is no condemnation in Jesus once we are born again and walking with Him. i go by the Bible, not what The Transformed Wife says, or Joyce Meyer, or Stormie Omartian or even Rachel Held-Evans. God only in His Word.

i do believe in propehcy but propehcy for today is about building us up as the church not condemning us.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I will check out the book but first, please tell me

where are the Bible verses claiming a woman has to live with her father until she marries? where is the verse that sets an age for marriage?

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

God wanted me alive and safe. when i lived with my father i sinned more htan one by trying to end my life. so di dmy sister the same. and she is a very Godly lady. so no am in no disobedience. sometimes i feela lot of guilt over leaving but that i s most liely the devil

there is no condemnation in Jesus once we are born again and walking with Him. i go by the Bible, not what The Transformed Wife says, or Joyce Meyer, or Stormie Omartian or even Rachel Held-Evans. God only in His Word.

i do believe in propehcy but propehcy for today is about building us up as the church not condemning us.

You shouldn't feel guilty at all, and the abuser didn't deserve you in his life. I'm sorry you had to live through that experience.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You shouldn't feel guilty at all, and the abuser didn't deserve you in his life. I'm sorry you had to live through that experience.

thank you. this is why although i follow Jesus, and am strong in my walk with Him., i have left behind many of the teachings of my upbringing. my father was strict Fundamentalist Evangelical type and their view of women is abhorrent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
thank you. this is why although i follow Jesus, and am strong in my walk with Him., i have left behind many of the teachings of my upbringing. my father was strict Fundamentalist Evangelical type and their view of women is abhorrent.

I'm glad you're away from it.

Just remember it's not your fault, and please don't feel guilty about any of it.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not going back to live with my father. ever. when he old, there are ways he can be cared for.

i am not a punching bag or a common harlot. if a man cannot treat me like a daughter of ther king then marriage is not for me.

Hang in there. Not all men behave badly. I have been married 51 years to the most wonderful person I have ever known, and I am by no means perfect.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hang in there. Not all men behave badly. I have been married 51 years to the most wonderful person I have ever known, and I am by no means perfect.

i like being isngle though. and i dont want kids. i prefer pets

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi i know the Bible says married womena re to cover their heads in church if they are praying or prophesying. what about single women?

The Bible says all women should physically cover their heads in church, although many say that that no longer applies. Young traditional Catholic and Orthodox women put a cloth over their head in church just like married women do.

But whether it still applies or not, it's talking about physical head coverings, like cloths, veils, scarves, or hats.

nowhere in Bible does it say adults have to live with their parents

You are correct.

He certainly did not. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also, it sounds like you've been getting theological advice from some strange places.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Try to observe the style of clothes other women are wearing. Some women do not wear hats anywhere. One may not want to become a slave to expensive fashions. A woman I dated had nearly one hundred pairs of shoes with assortments of clothes and accessories. It was sad. She showed me some new thing she bought and I told her to take it back and get a refund. We split up about 15 years ago. I suffer guilt of not having supported her more. Now I am 60. I read 1% of marriage licenses issued in an Oregon county during a month were for couples over 65. I made plans to be single and celibate.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Try to observe the style of clothes other women are wearing. Some women do not wear hats anywhere. One may not want to become a slave to expensive fashions. A woman I dated had nearly one hundred pairs of shoes with assortments of clothes and accessories. It was sad. She showed me some new thing she bought and I told her to take it back and get a refund. We split up about 15 years ago. I suffer guilt of not having supported her more. Now I am 60. I read 1% of marriage licenses issued in an Oregon county during a month were for couples over 65. I made plans to be single and celibate.

"Try to notice the styles other women are wearing." but this is my issue- no one at my church covers. so none of the other women at church are wearing anything on their head to observe? also why would i not want my own style of hat, which represents what i like or reflects my taste?

expensive fashions? am on welfare. i dont do expensive. everything is Thrift store or Primark for me. you can get lovely things low cost. during lockdowmn i sometimes use e-bay for things but only undr a certain budget

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No disobedience in my case. am not wanting to marry and also i didnt have option of living with my father who abused me for 25 years until i managed to escape him and was moved to safe place.
I guess I should have included some emoticons with those questions because they were asked rhetorically. I assumed they would be understood to mean no woman, including you, is disobedient because we do things differently in the 21st century.

nowhere in Bible does it say adults have to live with their parents. obey your parents was for children.
I completely agree.

Now how about all the content related to the specific question about women wearing hats? So much of your life is different than the (real and perceived) standard operating procedures of the biblical era. How is it you think hats germane to you today?

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess I should have included some emoticons with those questions because they were asked rhetorically. I assumed they would be understood to mean no woman, including you, is disobedient because we do things differently in the 21st century.

I completely agree.

Now how about all the content related to the specific question about women wearing hats? So much of your life is different than the (real and perceived) standard operating procedures of the biblical era. How is it you think hats germane to you today?

on another thread i was told i had to cover my hair so i have a covering that symbolises the natural order of things (man being under the head of a woman) but it confused me because when i was involved in Biblical WOmanhood and Pentecostal Holiness teachings i was told to cover because women are either under their husband or father and i am unde neither. most single women have grown up and left home, so ther are many peopl elike myself who find thi sissue confusing?

my current church is church of england and even the married women there do not cover, most of them. they told me that Pual's words on head coverings and hair were contextual. they are liberal and am very happy with that because i believe we are only saved by Jesus, not our outward traditions, customs etc. then i get told by someone in different church on my Facebook that i need to cover my head??? am confused. my hea di sspinning, nevr mind covering it!

Upvote 0