(Motive: highlight lax gun laws) At least 5 dead (including shooter) in bank shooting in Louisville Kentucky

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Tennessee Republican governor calls on state lawmakers to toughen gun restrictions

Tennessee Republican Gov. Bill Lee on Tuesday urged the state’s legislature to pass additional gun control measures, an especially charged subject in a state that recently suffered a school shootingand the acrimonious expulsion of two Black Democratic lawmakers who called for greater firearm restrictions.

“I’m asking the General Assembly to bring forward an order of protection law. A new strong order of protection law will provide the broader population cover, safety, from those who are a danger to themselves or the population,” Lee said at a news conference, adding that he would like legislators to pass the legislation within the current legislative session, which ends in a few weeks.

Lee signaled that he plans to sign an executive order strengthening the state’s gun background checks by setting a 72-hour clock for new criminal activity. Lee said it will also ensure courts will provide timely and accurate information to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Tennessee Republican governor calls on state lawmakers to toughen gun restrictions

Tennessee Republican Gov. Bill Lee on Tuesday urged the state’s legislature to pass additional gun control measures, an especially charged subject in a state that recently suffered a school shootingand the acrimonious expulsion of two Black Democratic lawmakers who called for greater firearm restrictions.

“I’m asking the General Assembly to bring forward an order of protection law. A new strong order of protection law will provide the broader population cover, safety, from those who are a danger to themselves or the population,” Lee said at a news conference, adding that he would like legislators to pass the legislation within the current legislative session, which ends in a few weeks.

Lee signaled that he plans to sign an executive order strengthening the state’s gun background checks by setting a 72-hour clock for new criminal activity. Lee said it will also ensure courts will provide timely and accurate information to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations.
I think you mean "Soon to be ex-Republican"..... You don't get to stick around the Republigun party very long with mamby-pamby, whiny woke liberal snowflake ideas like that.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Co-workers knew he was struggling. They didn’t expect he’d buy an AR-15.

The man who killed five and wounded eight at a Louisville bank had been undergoing therapy and considered suicide -- but faced no hurdles in purchasing a rifle days before the attack. Some survivors and victims’ families are planning to sue the gunmaker.​

About a year before Connor Sturgeon gunned down his co-workers at Old National Bank in April, some close to the 25-year-old knew he was having problems.

He had just started seeing a psychiatrist ... He had also experienced anxiety attacks at work, where some colleagues recall, he was falling short and frequently absent — a “no call, no show” employee, as one put it.

“He was in over his head,” said one colleague, Dana Mitchell, who had been a mentor to Sturgeon and was shot in the back during his attack.

In Louisville, a handful of Sturgeon’s surviving victims and family members of those killed said they are finalizing a lawsuit against Radical Firearms, the Texas company that produced the rifle Sturgeon used, an RF-15 that can be purchased for less than $400. They are planning to use the same legal strategy that resulted in a $73 million settlement between Remington and nine families of victims killed in the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Representatives for Radical Firearms declined requests for interviews and information. A spokesperson for the company told The Post via Instagram direct message, “You guys already cause enough issues in the world.”

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I agree that it could be that. The shooter knew he/she would not survive. :pray: for those families affected by this.
is....is that a praying emoticon?

Honestly, all this time I thought it was a "Dr Evil laughing" kinda thing....

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He had just started seeing a psychiatrist ... He had also experienced anxiety attacks at work, where some colleagues recall, he was falling short and frequently absent — a “no call, no show” employee, as one put it.

“He was in over his head,” said one colleague
It that isn't reason enough to disqualify somebody from buying a firearm - what is?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

New Tennessee law incentivizes safer firearm storage with tax breaks

Tennessee's General Assembly passed only four bills during August's specials session on public safety. [One took effect Nov 1st]
[T]he new law says Tennessee's Department of Safety has to provide gun owners with firearm locks upon request, regardless of purchase.
It also exempts the sales of firearm safes and safety devices from sales tax.

Welp, I guess a 9.25% break on buying a gun safe is better than another round of thoughts and prayers.

The other three laws don't do much either.

Tennessee’s special session on public safety ends with little action on guns

Parents who lobbied for curtailing access to guns after a horrific school shooting in Nashville blasted the Tennessee legislature’s special session on public safety, which ended Tuesday without the passage of a single bill targeting the state’s lax gun laws.

In their six days of work, lawmakers approved three bills designed to speed up background checks, provide free gun locks to Tennessee residents, and require an annual state report on human trafficking.

Another approved measure, which appropriates money to cover the estimated $340,000 cost of the session, also includes extra funding for school safety officers, mental health resources and workers, and an advertising campaign encouraging gun owners to lock up their weapons.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

New Tennessee law incentivizes safer firearm storage with tax breaks

Tennessee's General Assembly passed only four bills during August's specials session on public safety. [One took effect Nov 1st]
[T]he new law says Tennessee's Department of Safety has to provide gun owners with firearm locks upon request, regardless of purchase.
It also exempts the sales of firearm safes and safety devices from sales tax.

Welp, I guess a 9.25% break on buying a gun safe is better than another round of thoughts and prayers.

The other three laws don't do much either.

Tennessee’s special session on public safety ends with little action on guns

Parents who lobbied for curtailing access to guns after a horrific school shooting in Nashville blasted the Tennessee legislature’s special session on public safety, which ended Tuesday without the passage of a single bill targeting the state’s lax gun laws.

In their six days of work, lawmakers approved three bills designed to speed up background checks, provide free gun locks to Tennessee residents, and require an annual state report on human trafficking.

Another approved measure, which appropriates money to cover the estimated $340,000 cost of the session, also includes extra funding for school safety officers, mental health resources and workers, and an advertising campaign encouraging gun owners to lock up their weapons.
Futile measures. Americans are in love with their guns.

I just love the idea of a gun safe. There is no need to steal a gun in America. They are everywhere. Most gun deaths are at the hands of men who are their legal owners. That is, the ones with the key to the gun-safe.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Futile measures. Americans are in love with their guns.

I just love the idea of a gun safe. There is no need to steal a gun in America. They are everywhere. Most gun deaths are at the hands of men who are their legal owners. That is, the ones with the key to the gun-safe.
Of course there is the need to steal guns in america. For one thing, people who wouldn't get a gun otherwise will often buy them on the black market.

Also, guns are expensive, and everything expensive gets stolen. That's like saying that there is no need to steal jewelry in america because there are plenty of jewelry stores.

Plus, gun safes are also useful for keeping the weapon out of the hands of household members that shouldn't have access, like children or someone battling with depression.

Now, when it comes to theft prevention, gun safes don't really do a lot, because most gun thefts happen in cars, mostly cars parked in front of homes. Plus, if people can't even be bothered to take their firearm into their home, how could they be trusted to store them in a gun safe?

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course there is the need to steal guns in america. For one thing, people who wouldn't get a gun otherwise will often buy them on the black market.

Also, guns are expensive, and everything expensive gets stolen. That's like saying that there is no need to steal jewelry in america because there are plenty of jewelry stores.

Plus, gun safes are also useful for keeping the weapon out of the hands of household members that shouldn't have access, like children or someone battling with depression.

Now, when it comes to theft prevention, gun safes don't really do a lot, because most gun thefts happen in cars, mostly cars parked in front of homes. Plus, if people can't even be bothered to take their firearm into their home, how could they be trusted to store them in a gun safe?

OK, I understand that.

I see a certain irony in the measure to make gun safes cheaper, thus slightly reducing the financial burden of gun ownership. And I see your point that gun safes are not very effective in reducing the crime of gun-theft. A gun safe, if such a thing existed in the Sturgeon household, did nothing to protect the victims of the Louisville shooting.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
OK, I understand that.

I see a certain irony in the measure to make gun safes cheaper, thus slightly reducing the financial burden of gun ownership. And I see your point that gun safes are not very effective in reducing the crime of gun-theft. A gun safe, if such a thing existed in the Sturgeon household, did nothing to protect the victims of the Louisville shooting.
I think the one thing that gun safes are good at (when they are used properly) is to prevent people from getting access who shouldn't have it. Plenty of children in the USA die every year because they sneak into their parents cupboard and grab the pistol or revolver and play with it. Many parents don't believe that their children would do so and fondly imagine that a stern talking to or hiding the weapon beneath something is enough to prevent access. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think the one thing that gun safes are good at (when they are used properly) is to prevent people from getting access who shouldn't have it. Plenty of children in the USA die every year because they sneak into their parents cupboard and grab the pistol or revolver and play with it. Many parents don't believe that their children would do so and fondly imagine that a stern talking to or hiding the weapon beneath something is enough to prevent access. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
Yes, gun safes are a way to keep children away from guns. It is a surprise to me that they are not a legal necessity, a condition of gun ownership. Here in the UK all owners must have a licence. They must have a lockable cabinet (only rifles and shot-guns allowed here) and it must be available for inspection. It is an offence not to store all fire-arms in a locked cabinet.

Of course, the easier option to keep guns out of the hands of children is not to have them in the house in the first place.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....Of course, the easier option to keep guns out of the hands of children is not to have them in the house in the first place.
Yes, keep your children in a shed in the yard.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There's this YouTube I watch called the Lockpicking Lawyer. It's an interesting channel in general, but one of the things he often showcases, usually in an angry manner, is how horrible most gun safes are. He has literally opened some with pieces of trash.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There's this YouTube I watch called the Lockpicking Lawyer. It's an interesting channel in general, but one of the things he often showcases, usually in an angry manner, is how horrible most gun safes are. He has literally opened some with pieces of trash.
Its just one little g that separates gunsafe from unsafe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Its just one little g that separates gunsafe from unsafe.
Now don't get me wrong, he regularly criticizes locks that he thinks are really bad. But with gun safes he is most concerned about what he calls the "curious adolescent" test and so many of them fail that. Like if you don't even need a pick to open it, then something is seriously wrong.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Now don't get me wrong, he regularly criticizes locks that he thinks are really bad. But with gun safes he is most concerned about what he calls the "curious adolescent" test and so many of them fail that. Like if you don't even need a pick to open it, then something is seriously wrong.
Americans seem to have a disturbing sloppy attitude towards guns on average. I know everyone isnt like that tho.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This thread is not really about safes. It is about the slaughter and maiming of people by somebody who (allegedly) obtained a gun legally when he was mentally unfit.

Some people prefer to discuss the hardware. It is an observable pattern here in threads about mass shootings.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Louisville bank shooter killed 5 people to highlight gun laws, police report shows

A man who killed five people and injured eight at a Louisville bank in April was motivated by outrage over gun laws he considered lax, and a hope that his rampage would highlight the ease with which he acquired an AR-15 and spur politicians into action on the issue, according to the shooter’s personal writings revealed in a police report Tuesday.

“I have decided to make an impact. These people did not deserve to die, but because I was depressed and able to buy [guns], they are gone. Perhaps this is the impact for change — upper class white people dying. I certainly would not have been able to do this were it more difficult to get a gun,” Connor Sturgeon wrote six days before the April 10 shootingat the Old National Bank where he worked.

He criticized politicians, gun-interest groups and party politics for deadly gun violence, and particularly for gun laws that made getting a rifle “so easy.” These issues, he wrote, propelled his homicidal plans.

A day before the shooting, Sturgeon wrote that he is “definitely very sick” and continued marveling at his ability to acquire a rifle.

“OH MY ███ THIS IS SO EASY. Seriously, I knew it would be doable but this is ridiculous. Walked in and bought a gun, 4 mags, and 120 rounds for $700. Got some glasses and earplugs,” he wrote April 9. “It is legitimately unfathomable how easy this all was. "

“But let us not forget the most important player here. The one who made all this possible. Lets give it up for the NRA!!” he wrote April 9. “I couldn’t have done this without all of your lobbying dollars! You really brought this whole thing together. This is the world you are building. One without any regard for the value of human life.”

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Louisville bank shooter killed 5 people to highlight gun laws, police report shows

A man who killed five people and injured eight at a Louisville bank in April was motivated by outrage over gun laws he considered lax, and a hope that his rampage would highlight the ease with which he acquired an AR-15 and spur politicians into action on the issue, according to the shooter’s personal writings revealed in a police report Tuesday.

“I have decided to make an impact. These people did not deserve to die, but because I was depressed and able to buy [guns], they are gone. Perhaps this is the impact for change — upper class white people dying. I certainly would not have been able to do this were it more difficult to get a gun,” Connor Sturgeon wrote six days before the April 10 shootingat the Old National Bank where he worked.

He criticized politicians, gun-interest groups and party politics for deadly gun violence, and particularly for gun laws that made getting a rifle “so easy.” These issues, he wrote, propelled his homicidal plans.

A day before the shooting, Sturgeon wrote that he is “definitely very sick” and continued marveling at his ability to acquire a rifle.

“OH MY ███ THIS IS SO EASY. Seriously, I knew it would be doable but this is ridiculous. Walked in and bought a gun, 4 mags, and 120 rounds for $700. Got some glasses and earplugs,” he wrote April 9. “It is legitimately unfathomable how easy this all was. "

“But let us not forget the most important player here. The one who made all this possible. Lets give it up for the NRA!!” he wrote April 9. “I couldn’t have done this without all of your lobbying dollars! You really brought this whole thing together. This is the world you are building. One without any regard for the value of human life.”
This is NOT the way.

• Agree
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0