Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yep, I worked in a library for several years and once a year we had “Banned Book Week” where we put the list out on a table with all the books around it. The same thing happened every year, the same people would stand there looking at them, invariably people would pick up the bible and make a shocked face and say something along the lines of “What a bad, BAD book!” And that was about it. It all seemed very contrived, but oh well.
:D

I've heard of Banned Book Week when I was in library tech school... and saw some displays for it. :) I think that was the first time I ever heard about that list.

I am just here to speak up for Huck.
I love that book. It's my favorite by Mark Twain.

Upvote 0

SyntheticPaper

the best mono-thingie guy there ever was
Mar 30, 2011
✟20,331.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
:D

I've heard of Banned Book Week when I was in library tech school... and saw some displays for it. :) I think that was the first time I ever heard about that list.

I did all the displays at my library except that one. The Banned Book Week display was always boooooring, whereas my displays were filled with excitement and wonder! :blink: (and occasionally pickles and toys).

This is probably why I feel such animosity towards Banned Book Week. :p

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I don't think there's such a thing as a banned book week in Germany - but that's probably due to the fact that there are no banned books, except for Hitler's "Mein Kampf" and some "indexed" stuff that mustn't be publicly displayed (inappropriate contentography and violence, mostly: accordingly, films and computer games are far more likely to end up on the index).

Upvote 0

SyntheticPaper

Mar 30, 2011
✟20,331.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there's such a thing as a banned book week in Germany - but that's probably due to the fact that there are no banned books, except for Hitler's "Mein Kampf" and some "indexed" stuff that mustn't be publicly displayed (inappropriate contentography and violence, mostly: accordingly, films and computer games are far more likely to end up on the index).

Yeah, books here don't really get banned either. These lists are really “challenged” books, which means that someone somewhere didn't like them and set out to get them removed from a library or most likely a school library / classroom. That's why you will notice a lot of them are junior / middle school level and under books. It doesn't take a lot to freak out the parent of a 4th grader.

Not that every public library will carry every book you might want them to, but that is usually for more practical reasons. My library rarely bought books on Witchcraft, Wicca or Satanism. Not because the head librarian had a problem with these subjects, but rather because those books got stolen almost immediately. I saw this happen on a few occasions actually. Someone donated a bunch of books on these religions and since they were donations they were added to the collection and indeed within a couple months every one of them was missing without being checked out.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I did all the displays at my library except that one. The Banned Book Week display was always boooooring, whereas my displays were filled with excitement and wonder! :blink: (and occasionally pickles and toys).

This is probably why I feel such animosity towards Banned Book Week. :p
Yeah toys always make a library display better :) A display I made had a robot in it. In my opinion it's not a real display if it's just books. :D

Upvote 0

SyntheticPaper

Mar 30, 2011
✟20,331.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah toys always make a library display better :) A display I made had a robot in it. In my opinion it's not a real display if it's just books. :D

I had Transformers in one of mine :). Yeah, I always had some kind of background, then books sitting there with some opened and others on the sides and such and then random stuff I had collected. I had to do one a month so I got pretty good at coming up with things to do there. It was fun. :)

Upvote 0

Rhovanion

Queen of Pentacles
Jul 29, 2009
Wild North
✟15,662.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Face on the Milk Carton?! Um.. what?! I used to read that when I was younger. Loved it. Can't for the life of me see what was supposedly so bad about it.

I just find it so bizarre that some books are banned over there. We don't have any banned books in Sweden. We don't censor anything. If people here think something might offend them, they just don't read it. Simple as that. No "witch hunt". No "crusade" to have things removed or burned. They leave it be and walk away. Or don't care.

Upvote 0

SyntheticPaper

Mar 30, 2011
✟20,331.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I just find it so bizarre that some books are banned over there. We don't have any banned books in Sweden.

as i said ...

me said:
Yeah, books here don't really get banned either. These lists are really “challenged” books, which means that someone somewhere didn't like them and set out to get them removed from a library or most likely a school library / classroom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Slaughterhouse 5...one of my favorite books of all time.
I'm surprised that the Hyperion series is not on the list...a series about how a great religion can forget it's roots and turn into a high-tech entity with 13th century style brutality and blindness...Christianity. It is still an excellent read.

Upvote 0