Most Annoying/Embarrassing Death

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
I probably died at least 75 times at one spot during the halo campaign.

I believe it was on the second part of Truth and Reconciliation when you first enter the alien ship through the gravity lift. I was playing on legendary using a first generation iBook G4 (800MHz PowerPC G4 and M Radeon 9200 with 32MB SDRAM), so the settings were on their lowest possible levels and the frame rate was around 14 FPS. The save from the ground level left me with little ammo and 3 bars of health.

After about 30 deaths, I figured out a strategy to get past the first two waves of elites, jackals, and grunts. By sneaking into one of the spawn tunnels, I could usually isolate single enemies and take them down. (These small spaces also significantly increased frame rate). Zealots and other higher level elites were especially difficult to bring down, and they could usually kill me in one swipe. By landing most of my shots with a round from the needler or by using a full powered plasma pistol to eliminate their shields and then using the battle rifle, I could take the elites down pretty efficiently, but many of them would either suicide charge me or run away to regenerate. Without grenades, the jackals with energy shields were also pretty annoying since they would almost never leave the main hanger.

I finally glitched myself into a checkpoint in one of the spawn tunnels. This let me respawn after the first half of that section of the level, but I was even lower on health and ammo than before. I slowly picked off all of the remaining waves or regular enemies, but next came the two hunters. Because I had used a "glitch" checkpoint earlier, there was no checkpoint before the hunters and with every death, I would have to go through the regular waves of enemies again. Finally, after multiple deaths and a lot of frustration, I killed both hunters and reached the checkpoint out of the hanger.

In the end, I did manage to complete the entire halo camping on the previously mentioned computer. Later, when I replayed the camping on a much more powerful computer, it seemed to loose some of its "epic" feeling. The strategies that I used at such a low frame rate were basically unnecessary and there was much more running and gunning involved. (also, about 1/16 of the deaths)

Upvote 0
T

Taloraan4

Heh, wow. I admire your perseverance and determination :) ... there is no way that I could keep on getting back into the fight after that many deaths. I'd hate to go against you in multiplayer games...

I find that section of Halo challenging enough on normal difficulty with those blasted Grunts throwing every grenade they've got which usually takes out the majority of the marines with me, particularly when one grenade sets off all the others dropped in the area. I cannot say how many times that's happened where I've thrown a grenade and have all the other grenades from dead enemies or dead allies start a chain reaction and then the next thing I know I'm several metres in the air. It's a bit discouraging to be killed by your own munitions... :(

Btw, nice strategy to deal with the Elites - I've never thought of it. I've usually just either used the plasma rifle, the battle rifle, and preferrably the shot-gun, but I've never used the plasma pistol before to use the powered blast to weaken their shields. Cheers.

The other part that I have a bit of trouble with is on board the Pillar of Autumn (after it's crashed) when you're trying to get to the bridge via the 'mess hall' where you've got several Elites (who throw grenades) and Grunts armed with fuel rods. I usually stand outside the mess hall and use the pistol and go for headshots where possible.

Do you find that playing games at harder difficulty levels improves your skills rather than playing games at normal level?

Upvote 0

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
Heh, wow. I admire your perseverance and determination :) ... there is no way that I could keep on getting back into the fight after that many deaths. I'd hate to go against you in multiplayer games...

I find that section of Halo challenging enough on normal difficulty with those blasted Grunts throwing every grenade they've got which usually takes out the majority of the marines with me, particularly when one grenade sets off all the others dropped in the area. I cannot say how many times that's happened where I've thrown a grenade and have all the other grenades from dead enemies or dead allies start a chain reaction and then the next thing I know I'm several metres in the air. It's a bit discouraging to be killed by your own munitions... :(

Btw, nice strategy to deal with the Elites - I've never thought of it. I've usually just either used the plasma rifle, the battle rifle, and preferrably the shot-gun, but I've never used the plasma pistol before to use the powered blast to weaken their shields. Cheers.

The other part that I have a bit of trouble with is on board the Pillar of Autumn (after it's crashed) when you're trying to get to the bridge via the 'mess hall' where you've got several Elites (who throw grenades) and Grunts armed with fuel rods. I usually stand outside the mess hall and use the pistol and go for headshots where possible.

Do you find that playing games at harder difficulty levels improves your skills rather than playing games at normal level?

In halo:CE at least, the lower two difficulties are just absurdly easy. You can literally beat the game without ever firing a shot on easy and normal. Legendary is defiantly a challenge, but multiplayer makes use of completely different strategies. So, if you want to be better at multiplayer you just have to play it often and try to gain an understanding of how your human enemies work. There are always patterns. Currently though, I dont play games all that often.

Also, with my previously mentioned frustrating set of deaths, some of them were extremely quick. Once I started that one section of the level, I just had to complete it.

Upvote 0
T

Taloraan4

^ As in the mid-90s Battletoads' for the Sega Megadrive Battletoads? Haven't played it but I've heard it was a difficult game.

Speaking of the older games, did any of you used to play Mortal Kombat [sic]? I really hated that babality thing as it's like the computer was purposefully mocking me. Grrr. :( Never did figure out how to do babality or fatality to my enemies though... Wouldn't mind if they made a new game with an actual plot to it though.

Upvote 0

Roogy

Oct 24, 2008
Maryland
✟7,627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Annoying = The level in Halo 3 where you rescue Cortana from the infested ship and have to run out afterwards. It seems like every single Flood you've seen in Halo 1, 2, AND 3 and it's cousins come, it's ridiculous. Don't know how many times I had to do that part.

Embarrassing = I've fallen to my death in CoD4 multiplayer more times than I would like to admit. It's even more embarrassing when you are the last person alive on your team and everyone is watching you. :o

Upvote 0

willard3

Professional accomplice
Dec 18, 2005
✟10,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Note: these are just the ones I remember recently...I do play other games besides Halo; I actually haven't played Halo in a few weeks.

Annoying = Rescuing Cortana from the infected ship in Halo 3. All of those spike-shooting dog things got ridiculously annoying after a while, plus I actually managed to apparently miss a checkpoint or two, which meant every time I died, I had to restart about two checkpoints earlier.

Embarrassing = Anytime I'm playing CoD4 online and I'm the last person on the team, I usually manage to wander around the entire level and with enemies behind me the whole time, trying to knife me without my noticing. This is especially nasty when I'm not playing with anybody I know.
(As an exact opposite, one time on Search and Destroy on Broadcast, I was the last guy, managed to kill their last 3 guys AND defuse the bomb with 5 seconds left...the last kill involved us flashbanging each other, me running out of ammo and fast-switching to my pistol. Booyah.)

Reactions: XBoy360
Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Most annoyng: I play Morrowind a lot, and when I get a character to the point where they can fight atronachs (elementals, of a sort) I ended up dying a few times because of their ability to reflect part of spell's damage back at you, I've since learned to keep my distance, unless I'm playing a melee based character.

The first few times it happened, I couldn't figure out why my health bar was going down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

Kharak

In Jedi Knight: Academy, I would often increase the force choke level to maximum for a fun little effect. You see, at high levels, you could suspend someone in mid-air and throw them like toys.

This worked wonders to avoid long, lightsaber duels when accompanied by cliffs. Que the dramatic music, the taunting and the, "Aaaaaahhhhhh!" that goes all the way down.

Upvote 0
K

Kharak

Humiliating: In Mercinaries 2, when you accidently call in either a Massive Ordinance Air Blast or a Nuclear Bunker Buster right next to where you're standing.

You blow yourself up on accident?

On MechWarrior IV, I would often rig my Vulture up with explosives and kamikaze for the fun of it; often taking two mechs down at once for a net gain. In Homeworld, I would send legions of resource collectors and scouts to their doom against the hulls of frigates just to keep them occupied. In Call of Duty 4, nothing was more satisfying than actually fragging myself to take down four other guys while screaming, "Alalalalalala!"

Of course, nothing beats the Demolition Truck from Red Alert 2 and Generals. That is, when they are built in dozens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Foolish_Fool

Wanderer
Jun 3, 2006
Here
✟19,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This weekend while playing WoW.

I was flying around Wintergrasp trying to see if I could break into the keep by jumping in from Icecrown. While scouting the area I see a lone orc warrior standing on a tiny ledge on the side of a mountain for no apparent reason. Myself being a gnome warrior had only one choice, I landed right next to him and challenged him to a duel. It was simply too epic not to do. It was a long, tough fight with us both being geared prot warriors with 29K+ health and we had to stand perfectly still and face each other or else we'd fall off. After over two minutes I finally won. I gave him a salute, hopped on my mount, and jumped off. Unfortunately it was my ground mount and I fell a good 100 yards to my death. He flew down to poke me =/

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Embarrassing? I lost a deathmatch in Halo 3 to someone who a)never played before and b)has a reputation for being really, really uncoordinated (very good friend of mine, he's not at CF). He beat me 20-7! I wasn't paying attention, and also kept falling off the map.

Annoying? Let's just say I hate jumping puzzles.

Upvote 0

pjsubbie

Jan 26, 2007
canada
✟15,158.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
most annoying... i play StarWars Battlefront with my sons, and i like to drive machines, cause they aim easier--- however, everytime i walk through the Ewok Forest/village.. i get smacked by those LOGS that they swing between trees. argggggg.
Halo is much better cause the boys always kill me so i dont expect anything but death to come out of it. :p

pj

Upvote 0