Most annoying/difficult to follow command in your opinion?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Mine: love your enemy. UGH don't really see how this is possible at all. Being a Christian would be like 50000 times easier if it weren't for this command haha. What are all yours?

The most difficult command for me to follow is when my wife tells me to me the trash out.

In seriousness though, I'd say being honest and not bearing false witness. I lie all the time and it eats me up inside. A lot of times I lie without even thinking about it.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honour your father and mother. My mother is easy enough, but my father was violent and psychologically abusive. Sometimes when I was young enough he would take a run up to punch me and knock me clean off my feet. The furthest I remember was I landed when I hit the wall about 8 foot from where I was standing. He followed up punching me in the head until he broke a couple of fingers. I did gain one thing from it though, a hard head. Even as a baby he wouldnt let my mum pick up if I was crying at least sometimes. How do you honour that?

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,116.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you say ''Giving the Holy Spirit full control in your life means that He keeps the laws through you'' that means no sin but in a round about way,because you claim to be walking in the spirit 100% of the time,which is not possible,because of the flesh.

I've read 1 john many times and it doesn't say anything about walking/being in the spirit 100% of the time,so where did you get that idea from?

My interpretation of the whole book of 1 John is a contrast between Christians and the lost,darkness and light,God and the world,sin and law. The legalistic conditions of chapter 2 can be summarized in 1 john 3:23 and what was is commonly known as the greatest commandment. It never claims Christians will be a legalistic,meaning keeping all of Gods laws,only the commandment set out in 3:23.

Matthew 22:36-40
Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Perhaps you need to revisit this book?

Have you even tried to walk in the spirit? It is possible. Jesus was 100% human like you and me. He only didn't sin because he walked in the spirit 100% of the time. We got the same spirit now. This has nothing to do with legalism, this is called discipleship.
Please quote me a single verse in the Bible that says "you don't have to take God's commands seriously, do whatever you like".

Don't you know that Jesus Himself said "Anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."? (Mt 5:19).

It's great that you quote Mt 22:36-40, because it tells us to love God with all our heart, soul and mind. What does it mean to love God? You find the answer in 1 John 5:3: "In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands"! We are supposed to teach everyone to keep all the laws, every single one of them. Jesus told us Himself.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Have you even tried to walk in the spirit? It is possible. Jesus was 100% human like you and me. He only didn't sin because he walked in the spirit 100% of the time. We got the same spirit now. This has nothing to do with legalism, this is called discipleship.
Please quote me a single verse in the Bible that says "you don't have to take God's commands seriously, do whatever you like".

Don't you know that Jesus Himself said "Anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."? (Mt 5:19).

It's great that you quote Mt 22:36-40, because it tells us to love God with all our heart, soul and mind. What does it mean to love God? You find the answer in 1 John 5:3: "In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands"! We are supposed to teach everyone to keep all the laws, every single one of them. Jesus told us Himself.

1 John 5:3 we already established what the commandments was, love God, love thy neighbour 3:23,yes?

How about you show me where you can walk in the spirit 100% as this is your proposition, I don't think it's possible.

Let's talk real, saying the beloved son lived a sinless life means you can too is nonsense. You are nothing, neither am I. A biblical definition for jesus would be "God manifest in the flesh" 1 Tim 3:16. Are you God manifest in the flesh? If not you shouldn't try to use him as a standard to measure yourself against.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
(Really sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread) Is that really true? There are people in the Bible listed as blameless and it's implied they followed the Lord perfectly. Also, in the NT it says certain leaders in the church were supposed to be blameless. Doesn't that mean they don't sin? Also, in 1 John it says those who sin don't really know Jesus, and also that those who know the Lord keep themselves from sin and the wicked one doesn't touch them. Doesn't all this mean God expects us to reach a point where we don't sin anymore?
Paul said to pray without ceasing. I struggle with that instruction.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,116.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let's talk real, saying the beloved son lived a sinless life means you can too is nonsense. You are nothing, neither am I. A biblical definition for jesus would be "God manifest in the flesh" 1 Tim 3:16. Are you God manifest in the flesh? If not you shouldn't try to use him as a standard to measure yourself against.

I am sorry, you don't know what God actually expects from you. I have quoted you like a dozen verses now that state that we shall keep all the commands, not just two.

1 John 2:6 "Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did."
You say I shouldn't try to use Jesus as a standard to measure myself against? The Bible says I should do exactly that, and you as well! Live as Jesus did!

Jesus said in Mt 5:48 "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." There is nothing to interpret about it.

If you don't believe that walking in the spirit 100% of the time is possible you should read Romans 8. The whole chapter is about it, but I'll quote you verse 4 only: "in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit".

• Winner
Reactions: Micaiah-Imla
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sorry, you don't know what God actually expects from you. I have quoted you like a dozen verses now that state that we shall keep all the commands, not just two.

You say I shouldn't try to use Jesus as a standard to measure myself against? The Bible says I should do exactly that, and you as well! Live as Jesus did!

Jesus said in Mt 5:48 "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." There is nothing to interpret about it.

If you don't believe that walking in the spirit 100% of the time is possible you should read Romans 8. The whole chapter is about it, but I'll quote you verse 4 only: "in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit".
Except Christians are not without sin. “If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.”

We are, however, forgiven for our sins. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Photini83

Jun 13, 2020
South
✟12,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
(Really sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread) Is that really true? There are people in the Bible listed as blameless and it's implied they followed the Lord perfectly. Also, in the NT it says certain leaders in the church were supposed to be blameless. Doesn't that mean they don't sin? Also, in 1 John it says those who sin don't really know Jesus, and also that those who know the Lord keep themselves from sin and the wicked one doesn't touch them. Doesn't all this mean God expects us to reach a point where we don't sin anymore?
No it's not true. We can't follow them without His help; that's true. We can't follow them without stumbling, confessing, and repenting. But we understand blamelessness to be that state of having been forgiven. For us, the whole point of Christian life is to repent, repent, repent so we can be closer to God. In repenting, we become blameless, not because we never sinned, but because God wipes away our sins when we confess, repent, and are forgiven. So yes, we are to be blameless, and hopefully over the course of our lives, what we have to confess becomes less or smaller, but it seems ironically that people feel it more deeply when they reach that point. Any little thing that separates them from God brings them sorrow. I am far from there, personally.

Upvote 0

iLearn

Jul 12, 2019
Sabah
✟14,765.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mine: love your enemy. UGH don't really see how this is possible at all. Being a Christian would be like 50000 times easier if it weren't for this command haha. What are all yours?
First start with humility. You will find it very hard to hate anyone when you learn to be humble. Learn to accept you are a NOBODY, and only Christ is important.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private

So

This is actually off topic. The OP was asking "Most annoying/difficult to follow command in your opinion" so the subject of sinlessness totally undermines the intended topic. If you want to debate sinless perfection,start a thread somewhere else and I will join you there but we should respect the OP and not hijack the thread with off topic subjects.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums