Most annoying/difficult to follow command in your opinion?

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not impossible if you have the Holy Spirit in you and you obey Him
Yes, it is. Love is the fulfillment of the law, not obedience to it. Romans 13:10 There is no scripture that says the Holy Spirit helps you obey the law. There are plenty that say we are not under the law.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Mine: love your enemy. UGH don't really see how this is possible at all. Being a Christian would be like 50000 times easier if it weren't for this command haha. What are all yours?

Unfortunately for me, not forsaking the assembly.
I can't walk or drive lately, I can't leave the house most days.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mine: love your enemy. UGH don't really see how this is possible at all. Being a Christian would be like 50000 times easier if it weren't for this command haha. What are all yours?

It is possible to love your enemies. Have you considered that verse in the N.T. that says very few will be able to enter through the strait gate (strait as in difficult). And, Jesus makes the disturbing comment about whether or not He will find real faith on the earth when He returns. Today there are very few Christians who love their enemies, they own guns for self-defense, they serve on juries to judge the enemies of society, they serve on the police force and serve in the military, yet to a man, they will tell you they love their enemies. Jesus and His Apostles showed the way and for nearly 300 years Christians refused to kill anyone including their sworn enemies. Then 1200 years of the dark ages when the Catholics ruled, then light broke forth with the Radical Reformers (not Luther, Zwingli, or Calvin) who again followed Jesus and picked up their own cross, and very many paid with their lives at the hands of the Protestant Reformers, the Catholics, and the magistracy. Jesus is still looking for the faithful who will obey His command to follow.

Reactions: Leah Daniels
Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
love your enemy. UGH don't really see how this is possible at all. Being a Christian would be like 50000 times easier if it weren't for this command haha. What are all yours?

..as with much of scripture this is Spiritual NOT carnal thought. ie any one who CLAIMS to be Christian and are not but preach there own ways not Gods; is an enemy as well as those who throw tomatoes on your roof or whatever..

1Jo 4:16 …. "God is love "; … not some human emotionalism !

to love your enemy natural or sudo Christians etc is to give GOD to them !! preach the FULL GOSPEL not half baked theology or religious blasphemy..

eg of full..
acts 2v38...

and
Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him MUST worship [him] in spirit and in truth.
Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
so according to the word .. how to worship in spirit...
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

not automatic ,nor learned;given upon receiving the Holy Ghost.as with the rest of the signs as Jesus said TRUE believers would have Mark 16v15 +

Ro 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Upvote 0

Brother_Kane

Jul 18, 2020
Laurel
✟17,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Really sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread) Is that really true? There are people in the Bible listed as blameless and it's implied they followed the Lord perfectly. Also, in the NT it says certain leaders in the church were supposed to be blameless. Doesn't that mean they don't sin? Also, in 1 John it says those who sin don't really know Jesus, and also that those who know the Lord keep themselves from sin and the wicked one doesn't touch them. Doesn't all this mean God expects us to reach a point where we don't sin anymore?
This is actually something that ive always wondered so i did a little looking for you. Here is an article I read and it makes some sense. Does the Bible Say True Christians Never Sin?. Here is a verse the article mentions at one point that i completely forgot about.
1 John 1:8–10. “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not emotional love. It's treating those you hate with kindness as your equal in word and deed. People are putrid and only a sick mind would lavish them. But treating them as equal is the object here.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not so hard. He did say you will have enemies. If you stand for anything at all you will have enemies and you should. It's good. If you don't have enemies as a Christian there's something wrong with you. So what do you do about it? Don't go looking for trouble. Stay peaceful. Don't cause harm or suffering to come to anyone because of you. Be decent and kindly. In other words be who you want to be when you are being led by the spirit. Jesus did all his preaching to people and that is where the change is supposed to happen. Among individuals. He didn't die for any government or government policies. Individuals get saved and individuals react with others. Let your interactions reflect peace and decency. That's about it.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s impossible to be obedient to The Word until you’re born again.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is impossible for man, is possible with God. Walk in His Holy Spirit daily. Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said he didn't come to abolish the law. Instead Jesus says in Mt 5:48 "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect", and I don't think Jesus was joking. And this expectation of Jesus that we become perfect makes fully sense when you think about it. Jesus himself was fully human, like you and me, and it says of him that Jesus was tempted in every way we are tempted in as well.
The reason why Jesus never sinned, why he resisted all the temptations, is because he was in such a deep, close relationship with his Father in heaven. A relationship like we should be aiming for, because that close of a relationship with God is possible for us now indeed. That's what Jesus died for! To enable us to have this same relationship with the living God.

This might sound quite theoretical, but I found it to be true over the years. The more I was willing to obey God the more He guided me and enabled me through His spirit to resist temptations. Over time God did exactly what the Bible talks about - He forms me more and more into the image of His son.
There is still a few things I struggle with, but it got much much less compared to a few years ago, and I am certain that this "perfectness" Jesus talks about in Mt 5 is to be taken literally. It is possible! But you will only know that it is possible when you try it yourself, when you stop saying "nobody is perfect" and give all of yourself to God - when you let Him do the work in you He will do it.

(Really sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread) Is that really true? There are people in the Bible listed as blameless and it's implied they followed the Lord perfectly. Also, in the NT it says certain leaders in the church were supposed to be blameless. Doesn't that mean they don't sin? Also, in 1 John it says those who sin don't really know Jesus, and also that those who know the Lord keep themselves from sin and the wicked one doesn't touch them. Doesn't all this mean God expects us to reach a point where we don't sin anymore?

I bet you two couldn't even recite all of Gods laws without referring to some external source,let alone keep them!

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,190.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I bet you two couldn't even recite all of Gods laws without referring to some external source,let alone keep them!

You don't seem to understand... we don't need to be able to recite the laws when God Himself makes us keep the laws. His spirit inside us who leads us makes us keep the laws, whether we know them consciously or not.

Read very carefully 1 John 2:3-4:
"We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person."
Rev 14:12 says:
"This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus."
In 1 John 5:2-3 it says:
"This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands."

Keeping God's commands is not wishful thinking or being conceited. If you say "nobody can keep all the laws" then you don't understand a big part of the Bible and what being a real Christian means.

Jesus Himself said "If you love me, keep my commands", and Paul adds in 1 Cor 16:22: "If anyone does not love the Lord, let that person be cursed!" This is a serious matter and I am worried about your response.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged

Oh,.. I hear you sister. Same. Agree with you one hundred percent. Of course, Jesus never said that being a Christian would be easy either. In Heaven yes,.. but on earth,.. no. Not by a long-shot.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We probably need to have our friend list some commands or admonitions that are literally impossible for any human to comply with. Then we would have a better way to assess the truth or falsity of the claim.
I would say, technically, none of them are beyond our ability to comply with.

I say this because Jesus was human and He was tempted.. after 40 days without food and in a desert and tempted directly by Satan himself... and Christ did not break even one..

So, not impossible.. but never achieved by any human except Christ.

Ya, the Don't murder... pretty straight forward for most..
Don't worship idols and don't have any other gods.. may seem fine until someone disrespects your favorite sports team or their emblem on a flag... or tries to get you away from TV on football night.
Then we get into the really difficult ones.. Those that you just have to take a close look to realize "Ya... bin there done that".. .Like "Do not covet" or "Honor your father and mother" or " Do not lie" or " Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy"

Go through the list with a fine tooth comb.. look at your life and.. well in my case.. even being a Christian.. and trying my best.... ya.. I fall short for sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is actually something that ive always wondered so i did a little looking for you. Here is an article I read and it makes some sense. Does the Bible Say True Christians Never Sin?. Here is a verse the article mentions at one point that i completely forgot about.
1 John 1:8–10. “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”
An elderly man once told me that if I believe that I am doing just fine and I'm a good person, not sinning and God is pleased with me each day.. then it's time to get closer to God..

He said that the closer he got to Christ.. the more visible became the sins in his life.

This is true.. the closer to the light you get.. the more apparent your flaws.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
You don't seem to understand... we don't need to be able to recite the laws when God Himself makes us keep the laws. His spirit inside us who leads us makes us keep the laws, whether we know them consciously or not.

Read very carefully 1 John 2:3-4:
"We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person."
Rev 14:12 says:
"This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus."
In 1 John 5:2-3 it says:
"This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands."

Keeping God's commands is not wishful thinking or being conceited. If you say "nobody can keep all the laws" then you don't understand a big part of the Bible and what being a real Christian means.

Jesus Himself said "If you love me, keep my commands", and Paul adds in 1 Cor 16:22: "If anyone does not love the Lord, let that person be cursed!" This is a serious matter and I am worried about your response.

Actually my response was to you and the other member claiming to keep all laws of God and stated a pretty obvious point,one needs to know the laws to keep it. There are hundreds of laws,do you know them all,every day? Of course you don't.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,190.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually my response was to you and the other member claiming to keep all laws of God and stated a pretty obvious point,one needs to know the laws to keep it. There are hundreds of laws,do you know them all,every day? Of course you don't.

We didn't claim to keep all laws yet, but that being a follower of Christ means to keep the laws more and more. And no, you don't need to know every single law to obey it. Because when you have a real relationship with Jesus, when the Holy Spirit is the one guiding you through each and every day, then He makes you do the things that are in God's will. Giving the Holy Spirit full control in your life means that He keeps the laws through you.
That's not only exactly what the Bible teaches but also my experience over the years in a relationship with Jesus. You might want to read 1 John :)

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
We didn't claim to keep all laws yet, but that being a follower of Christ means to keep the laws more and more. And no, you don't need to know every single law to obey it. Because when you have a real relationship with Jesus, when the Holy Spirit is the one guiding you through each and every day, then He makes you do the things that are in God's will. Giving the Holy Spirit full control in your life means that He keeps the laws through you.
That's not only exactly what the Bible teaches but also my experience over the years in a relationship with Jesus. You might want to read 1 John :)

When you say ''Giving the Holy Spirit full control in your life means that He keeps the laws through you'' that means no sin but in a round about way,because you claim to be walking in the spirit 100% of the time,which is not possible,because of the flesh.

I've read 1 john many times and it doesn't say anything about walking/being in the spirit 100% of the time,so where did you get that idea from?

My interpretation of the whole book of 1 John is a contrast between Christians and the lost,darkness and light,God and the world,sin and law. The legalistic conditions of chapter 2 can be summarized in 1 john 3:23 and what was is commonly known as the greatest commandment. It never claims Christians will be a legalistic,meaning keeping all of Gods laws,only the commandment set out in 3:23.

Matthew 22:36-40
Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Perhaps you need to revisit this book?

Upvote 0