Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Purposefully sidetracking has nothing to do with Mormonism's creed of what forgiveness is … the burden is on you.

Mormonism's forgiveness is malicious in nature.
Why not include everyone in the burden placed on us to keep the commandments. Do you believe that you and others are somehow above the law?:

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Why not include everyone in the burden placed on us to keep the commandments. Do you believe that you and others are somehow above the law?:

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Doubling down by purposefully sidetracking has nothing to do with Mormonism's creed of what forgiveness is … the burden is on you and you'd better not expect any assurance anytime soon.

… " It could be weeks, it could be years, it could be centuries before that happy day when you have the positive assurance that the Lord has forgiven you." …

Not only is that woefully malicious but pitiful for this reason: it cultivates the thought that we can do things to merit God’s forgiveness. The more people think this, the more they will focus on themselves instead of Christ.

And to focus on oneself is a sure way, not to be accepted by God, but be driven out of his presence to outer darkness immediately upon death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Purposefully sidetracking has nothing to do with Mormonism's creed of what forgiveness is … the burden is on you. Mormonism's forgiveness is malicious in nature.
Of course it is not.

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Of course it is not.
Mormonism forgiveness is malicious for this reason: it cultivates the thought that we can do things to merit God’s forgiveness. The more people think this, the more they will focus on themselves instead of Christ.

And to focus on oneself is a sure way, not to be accepted by God, but be driven out of his presence to tragic terrible fate to outer darkness immediately upon death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, that is your thought, not the logical development of the philosophy you call "Mormon forgiveness". The more people focus on Christ the more, as works born of grace, the more they will work on doing good. I suggest all here to focus on Christ, and the rest will follow.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are many things that can jeopardize eternal life. Not keeping the commandments is a sure way to do it.

And it is important to increase the number of commandments one must successfully navigate; after all, we can't let all that riffraff out there be on equal footing as ourselves. So increase the obstacles, add yoke upon yoke, and that way only the most meritorious and worthy can get the best swag.

Religion should be, if nothing else, an exclusive club. I mean, thank goodness we aren't like all those sinners over there.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormonism forgiveness is malicious for this reason: it cultivates the thought that we can do things to merit God’s forgiveness. The more people think this, the more they will focus on themselves instead of Christ.

And to focus on oneself is a sure way, not to be accepted by God, but be driven out of his presence to tragic terrible fate to outer darkness immediately upon death.

The more people focus on doing good, the more they focus on others and not themselves:

(New Testament | Matthew 25:37 - 46)

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

True LOVE is helping others in need.

We need to improve our lives.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
No, that is your thought, not the logical development of the philosophy you call "Mormon forgiveness". The more people focus on Christ the more, as works born of grace, the more they will work on doing good. I suggest all here to focus on Christ, and the rest will follow.
No wonder "Mormon forgiveness" struck a nerve with you.

The Bible teaches concerning grace, this:
1) God, out of unfathomable love (grace), reconciled the world to himself. 2_Corinthians 5:18-19

2) The Son of God took upon himself our human nature to become our substitute. He lived a perfect life keeping all the commandments for us, providing the righteousness we need to live with God. Romans_5:19

3) We are saved by grace alone through the work of Jesus Christ alone. Romans_3:22-24

4) that basing any part of salvation in any way on human works ruins grace, which ultimately determines why one is forgiven. Romans_11:6

Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The more people focus on doing good, the more they focus on others and not themselves:

(New Testament | Matthew 25:37 - 46)

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And Mormonism's prism twists the truth in rejecting to see that the righteous were oblivious in "focus on doing good, the more they focus on others" … yet were credited for doing so anyways.

IOW's: Mormonism is constructing an alternative premise of why one is forgiven by God that determines who is 'righteous' in Matthew_25:37 - 46.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Debatable. Depends on why they are trying to do "good".

We have pretty clear examples of those trying to do "good" who were only thinking of themselves in Scripture. The Opinio Legis isn't actually good, but only has the appearance of good. The appearance of religion while denying the substance thereof.

It is written, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And Mormonism's prism twists the truth in rejecting to see that the righteous were oblivious in "focus on doing good, the more they focus on others" … yet were credited for doing so anyways.

IOW's: Mormonism is constructing an alternative premise of why one is forgiven by God that determines who is 'righteous' in Matthew_25:37 - 46.
It is not a premise, Jesus stated who will be heirs of the kingdom of God and who will not.:

(New Testament | Galatians 5:16 - 26)

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Debatable. Depends on why they are trying to do "good".

We have pretty clear examples of those trying to do "good" who were only thinking of themselves in Scripture. The Opinio Legis isn't actually good, but only has the appearance of good. The appearance of religion while denying the substance thereof.

It is written, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

-CryptoLutheran
It does depend on why they are trying to do good, but remember that the law is the schoolmaster. We learn to LOVE God and one another by keeping the commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

No wonder "Mormon forgiveness" struck a nerve with you.

The Bible teaches concerning grace, this:
1) God, out of unfathomable love (grace), reconciled the world to himself. 2_Corinthians 5:18-19

2) The Son of God took upon himself our human nature to become our substitute. He lived a perfect life keeping all the commandments for us, providing the righteousness we need to live with God. Romans_5:19

3) We are saved by grace alone through the work of Jesus Christ alone. Romans_3:22-24

4) that basing any part of salvation in any way on human works ruins grace, which ultimately determines why one is forgiven. Romans_11:6

Striking nerves? You are projecting. Focus on Christ, lean on Christ, love Christ.​

• Agree
Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

Striking nerves? You are projecting. Focus on Christ, lean on Christ, love Christ.
Projecting ... hardly. Scripture does not teach: "The more people focus on Christ the more, works born of grace, the more they will work on doing good".

Furthermore what Kimball stated is not my thought … it's "Mormon forgiveness".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It depends on the situation. If I was in a rest home with dementia and someone gave me a cup of coffee and I drank it not realizing what I was doing, God would not hold me accountable. If someone forced me to drink coffee would God hold me accountable?

Here is another situation:

(New Testament | Matthew 12:1 - 6)

1 AT that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

The word of wisdom was not at first given as a commandment but has become a commandment, but still one of the least of them and one of the easiest to overcome.

If someone is raped, the rapist is the one who needs forgiveness. But we aren't talking about what people do to us. We're talking about the requirements for etenal life per Mormonism. You always want to change the topic; you ignored my post and repeated information I had already given.

The word of wisdom is very difficult to keep for a person who may have started smoking at age fourteen. I've never smoked, and I won't allow alcohol in my house. That doesn't make me worthier than other Christians.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I remember my experiences in that church --- not pleasant. I hate arrogance and false doctrine.

Now I follow God instead of Joseph Smith and present day false prophets.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There are many things that can jeopardize eternal life. Not keeping the commandments is a sure way to do it.
The Word of Wisdom is a rule demanded by a false religion; it is NOT a commandment of God.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The link between smoking and lung cancer (and other diseases) wasn't discovered until the mid 20th century. However, that smoking tobacco was hazardous (or possibly hazardous) wasn't all that new of an idea.

King James I (VI) wrote a treatise against tobacco, and levied a massive tariff on it to try and reduce its consumption and use.

"Have you not reason then to bee ashamed, and to forbeare this filthie noveltie, so basely grounded, so foolishly received and so grossely mistaken in the right use thereof? In your abuse thereof sinning against God, harming your selves both in persons and goods, and raking also thereby the markes and notes of vanitie upon you: by the custome thereof making your selves to be wondered at by all forraine civil Nations, and by all strangers that come among you, to be scorned and contemned. A custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomelesse." - A Counterblaste to Tobacco, King James I, 1604 AD

It wasn't "prophetic" for someone to suspect tobacco might be hazardous to one's health. Now had an explicit connection been made with lung and heart disease, hey, that'd be something. But that the smoking of tobacco wasn't good seemed to be regarded as obvious, at least to people like James here who appealed to common sense that smoking tobacco was unhealthy--a 350 years before the connection made by mid-20th century medical science.

Perhaps the real prophet, then, was King James I of England?

-CryptoLutheran

Why Mormons forbad tobacco:

The first school of the prophets was held in a small room situated over the Prophet Joseph's kitchen.... When they assembled together in this room after breakfast, the first they did was to light their pipes, and, while smoking, talk about the great things of the kingdom, and spit all over the room, and as soon as the pipe was out of their mouths a large chew of tobacco would then be taken. Often when the Prophet entered the room to give the school instructions he would find himself in a cloud of tobacco smoke. This, and the complaints of his wife at having to clean so filthy a floor, made the Prophet think upon the matter, and he inquired of the Lord relating to the conduct of the Elders in using tobacco, and the revelation known as the Word of Wisdom was the result of his inquiry (Journal of Discourses, vol. 12, p. 158)...

"A survey of the situation existing at Kirtland when the revelation came forth is a sufficient explanation for it. The temperance wave had for some time been engulfing the West.... In 1826 Marcus Morton had founded the American Temperance Society.... In June, 1830, the Millenial Harbinger quoted ... an article from the Philadelphia 'Journal of Health,'... which article most strongly condemned the use of alcohol, tobacco, the eating intemperately of meats.... Temperance Societies were organized in great numbers during the early thirties, six thousand being formed in one year... On October 6, 1830, the Kirtland Temperance Society was organized with two hundred thirty nine members.... This society at Kirtland was a most active one.... it revolutionized the social customs of the neighborhood."
Changing World Chapter 18

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The key here is knowingly sin. Coffee is disguised by other names like mocha, latte, etc. Someone may unknowingly drink a shake or something with coffee in it.

Coffee isn't disguised.

mo·cha
/ˈmōkə/
noun

1. a fine-quality coffee.
    "Kenyan, Colombian or mocha coffee
Are you saying that people are uneducated or are you saying that they have difficulty learning?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.