Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't matter what Mormons would like to have happen if they are unwilling to do what is necessary to make it happen. You're not going to be considered Christian with your current incredibly heretical and unacceptable theology instead of the solid Nicene Christian theology that your religion was founded in direct opposition to. That's why it doesn't matter how many times you repeat 'circular argument' and 'logical fallacy' and the like.
But the logical conclusion (of that logical fallacy) is that by stating that Christians get to define who Christians are, traditional Christians have no more right to be considered Christian than Latter-day Saints do.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I posted this as part of a response in another thread but am creating a thread about Mormonism being the Occult so as not to derail that other thread.

When you don't share something, you are hiding it. When it is spiritual in nature, that is occultism. "Occult" means "hidden". Hidden spiritual knowledge is occultism.

Occultism is the hallmark of pagan and "mystery" religions. Mormonism fits into this category because they have the belief (and any mormon will readily admit this) that certain knowledge is not to be shared but rather to be hidden. This is similar to the pagan religions like masonry and witchcraft religions; the belief is that certain spiritual knowledge must be hidden from people who are "profane", which means they are not worthy to know that knowledge. Interestingly, that is exactly what mormons will say, that one must be "worthy" (i.e. not profane) to have certain spiritual knowledge revealed to them.

Christianity is not an occult religion. Christianity is an open religion, open to absolutely all people. Every Christian Church and Cathedral is open to all - nobody checks who you are when you enter. You can just go into any of them. All Christian rituals and sacraments are done openly for all to come and witness. Baptism, Marriage, Communion, Confirmation, etc. etc. - all done in the open. The message of the Bible - the Gospel - is the opposite of hiding things, it is to promote and evangelize all things of God.

You can come to NY City, a few blocks from where I work, go into St. Patrick's Cathedral any day, walk all around to all the shrines, walk behind the altar, into the chapels, etc. They have mass every day and you can see it. They do baptisms and other sacraments and tourists mill about as they do it. All is open. All is there for people to be able to see so that they can learn about God and the Gospel. We want people to come to our churches for whatever reason because it all points to God. We believe ALL people are worthy to hear the Gospel and all spiritual knowledge from God's Word because it all supports the Gospel.

Contrast Christian Churches like St. Patrick's to the Salt Lake City Temple - if I go visit Salt Lake City, I can see it from the outside but I am shut out and not allowed in. I am considered by the mormon religion to be profane, not worthy. They consider some 80-90% of their own members to be profane. They exclude their own members and all people from all other religions from their weddings, baptisms, etc. You won't see that at a Christian ritual. At a Christian wedding, guests can be other denominations, other religions like mormon, hindu, buddhist, muslim, jewish, etc. Nothing is hidden by Christians.

This is another stark difference between mormonism and Christianity.

I'm not a Mormon.
Never was such.

But in fairness to the Mormons, they have a video that I watched and also you should watch so as to see the other side of the coin or hear their explanations.

There is however a CULT that I say I was a member of.
I left that cult.

The leader of this cult says it is a cult - so there is the confession right there

So when the boss man says,
cult.JPG

You gotta believe him or you are done for.

This is their official website:
Marialis Cultus (February 2, 1974) | Paul VI

It is a hard read but a video of the page is on YouTube.

And 1.2 Billion people are in a cult and not aware it is a cult
They are not aware that their leader said it was a cult
Nor are they aware that their official website say it is a cult
I think people are happy with the cult
But I do not know if on Judgement Day or at the end of their life
even be aware, they were cult members.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not a Mormon.
Never was such.

But in fairness to the Mormons, they have a video that I watched and also you should watch so as to see the other side of the coin or hear their explanations.

I left that cult.

The leader of this cult says it is a cult - so there is the confession right there

View attachment 193560

1. Where did I ever say you were a mormon? (methnks you doth protest too much)
2. Where did I say that mormonism is a cult?

I don't think you even bothered to read my original post or any of my other posts. I said mormonism is occultic, which is different from a cult.

Very odd that you are trying to argue with me over something I never said, including your odd defensiveness about being a mormon which I never brought up but you brought it up out of nowhere. Very odd. Do you have something you want to confess?

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:waaah:

Occult and cult - sounds the same to me.
Sure I will defend Mormons if they can't defend themselves.
But I am not a Mormon nor do I have a friend who is a Mormon.

I have an idea of what their beliefs are.
Sorry if you guys find it strange. (@ArmenianJohn & @dzheremi )
Not meaning to offend anyone but just to talk about things.
Have fun while exploring the truth.:zoro:

joker.jpg

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:waaah:

Occult and cult - sounds the same to me.
They sound alike but have very different meanings. Had you read any of my posts you'd know that, but you didn't read any, you just blurted out your uninformed opinion about "cults" although nobody was talking about cults. And now when it's pointed out you lack the humility to say you were wrong and instead you have a chip on your shoulder about it.

Why? Would you defend Satanists who cannot defend themselves? Nazis who cannot defend themselves? Child molestors who cannot defend themselves? Why do you think it's your job to defend other groups of people?

And why do you keep saying you're not a mormon? Nobody here said you are.

I have an idea of what their beliefs are.
Sorry if you guys find it strange.
Not meaning to offend anyone but just to talk about things.
Have fun while exploring the truth.
Why do you think that you need to apologize that I find mormon beliefs strange? And what makes you think that finding beliefs strange also means they are offensive? You make a lot of presumptions that are wrong.

What's that stupid thing?[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are you saying Mormons can't or aren't defending themselves?

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you saying Mormons can't or aren't defending themselves?
He's saying mormons are unable to defend themselves and that he's here because he has to defend them, for them. He apparently thinks mormons are incapable of defending themselves. It's possible that they hired him.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure the Mormons appreciate the help (I assume that the likes of his posts are coming from them), but I would also assume that the Mormons are perfectly capable of defending their own religion and its theology, whether or not anyone here actually buys those defenses or explanations. So it does strike me as a bit weird and paternalistic to say that you'll defend them. Did they ask you to, or do you just have a soft spot for this particular heresy, for some reason?

(I've been here long enough to see that this is part of a more general pattern whereby some guy shows up essentially out of nowhere, posts a lot in threads that reference his pet cause, and then usually goes away once he realizes nobody is buying his baloney. We've had the same thing happen with Islam by posters who went through great pains to preface that they are atheists, but XYZ, therefore Islam is so great and misunderstood or whatever. This is just a Mormon version of that. The strange pictures and formatting are new to me, though.)

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you occult is just any religion with hidden knowledge - witchcraft (and there are many witchcraft religions) would be occultic and one could consider all of the occult to be witchcraft. I consider masonry to be witchcraft although they themselves, as an organization, do not.

I am open to the possibility of there being esoteric or hidden knowledge, but I think most (if not all) of the time it's used as bait to control underlings and to manipulate them into doing the will of the higher-ups. Either way, it's not something we find in Christianity. Re things like stigmata, I don't find that to be esoteric so much as unsubstantiated or hearsay - it may be true but it's not doctrine and what is known about it is open for all to read or hear.

What do you mean one could?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a Mormon.
Never was such.

I left that cult.

View attachment 193560

Is cult and religion different words?

Upvote 0