Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
To be fair, this also happens in other churches as well. Members and parishioners are told to just tithe, God will provide. Tithe your 10% as well as your first fruits, etc. I believe in tithing, but not in coercion as this often seems.

I haven't heard any sermons on tithing nor have I been instructed to tithe except in the Mormon church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I haven't heard any sermons on tithing nor have I been instructed to tithe except in the Mormon church.

I have never heard any, either, though I don't doubt that they may happen in congregations or communions I've never visited.

I don't think tithing is wrong in itself (though from what I understand some Christians are against it on the grounds that they believe it was limited to supporting the Levitical priesthood in the OT; I don't know enough about that to really evaluate the argument, so it's enough for me that my own Church does ), but it can very easily be abused depending on how it is approached and taught. I have seen a lot of very disturbing clips of Mormon leaders talking about it in ways that I would consider abusive and wrong (e.g., suggesting to poor people in the third world that paying their tithes should be a priority over feeding their families and such), but I am sure there are lots of other times when it is taught in more moderate ways.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then you haven't been to enough different churches. I've heard it in nondenominational, Baptist, Methodist, and even the RCC. A few statements I have heard:
"Tithe your 10%"
"Make your tithe first"
"don't forget to tithe your first fruits on top of your regular tithe"
"stewardship is giving your time, talents, and tithe"
"Tithe before you save, trust God will give you 70x7 in return!"
And my personal favorite "tithe more than 10%, if you can. Don't limit God if you can give more!" As if God's blessings are limited by our tithes...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's a little bit surprising to me about the RCC, though I don't doubt that it does happen. In fact, one of the times that was a real turning point in my becoming really disillusioned with the RCC was when I went to the Spanish-language mass once because I woke up too late for the English one and found that the content of the Spanish-language sermon did not match the English one (i.e., it wasn't connected to the day's scripture readings), and was very heavy-handed regarding giving, with the priest saying things like "Are the Anglos more Catholic then we are? They give $XXX (amount), while we only give $X!" It was horrible. It's really not supposed to be like that.

Since becoming Orthodox in 2012, I have not heard anything like that, or any sermon on the subject.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a little bit surprising to me about the RCC, though I don't doubt that it does happen. In fact, one of the times that was a real turning point in my becoming really disillusioned with the RCC was when I went to the Spanish-language mass once because I woke up too late for the English one and found that the content of the Spanish-language sermon did not match the English one (i.e., it wasn't connected to the day's scripture readings), and was very heavy-handed regarding giving, with the priest saying things like "Are the Anglos more Catholic then we are? They give $XXX (amount), while we only give $X!" It was horrible. It's really not supposed to be like that.

Since becoming Orthodox in 2012, I have not heard anything like that, or any sermon on the subject.
The "stewardship" quote above was from my RCC parish when I attended there. To be honest though, the priest that said it was wonderful. This was his one failing in my eyes....he had many homilies on stewardship and tithing. But honestly, the parish did many great things with the tithes that were made, so I did not feel like the money was going to a bad cause or misused.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
If YouTube's working, try looking up a Ray Stevens song called "If 10% Is Good Enough For Jesus,...".

It's a novelty bit in which Stevens - who is IIRC non-denominational Protestant - notes that if a 10% rate is good enough for Jesus with tithing, why isn't it good enough for Uncle Sam with taxes?

So yeah - tithes among mainline Christianity are not just known but to the point of parody.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think tithing is wonderful. But I haven't heard the sermons in five different denominations (that includes United Methodist that my neighbor took me to when I was in high school). I heard that Assembly of God encourages tithing.

Upvote 0