Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Awe man!! ConAgra and Hunts food corporation will be very displeased to learn that they must now change the name of their sloppy joe mix to “Personwhich or Peoplewhich”.
They'll have to introduce a Sloppy Joan, lol.

But how 'bout this? I don't know what triggers me more - the name, or "boneless ribs".

61TARO6-aXL._SY355_.jpg

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did anyone actually read and understand what was? The book spends a good deal discussing the topic, yet no one has applied it properly here.

You could play mad libs with that and still be correct 90%+ of the time.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Did anyone actually read 1984 and understand what newspeak was? The book spends a good deal discussing the topic, yet no one has applied it properly here.
No, it's fine to call it newspeak. The most important similarity is that unlike natural, free democratic language development, this is being dictated by dictators who want to control your thinking.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
No, it's fine to call it newspeak. The most important similarity is that unlike natural, free democratic language development, this is being dictated by dictators who want to control your thinking.
Yes, elected officials are now dictators. :yawn:

• Agree
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Did anyone actually read 1984 and understand what newspeak was? The book spends a good deal discussing the topic, yet no one has applied it properly here.
My point is that your type of take on it is the problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Dictators who want to reword city municipal code? The horror.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't see the big deal with man hole or maintenance hole. I thought they were called sewer holes or pot holes.
Pot holes are the holes you get from the road being damaged; chunks of concrete missing from the road.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't see the big deal with man hole or maintenance hole. I thought they were called sewer holes or pot holes.
They usually are called manholes; that was correct. The deal is mainly about using the power of government (or, sometimes, other entities) to require ordinary people to speak a language that is prescribed for them by government.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The deal is mainly about using the power of government (or, sometimes, other entities) to require ordinary people to speak a language that is prescribed for them by government.
They changed the wording in the municipal code. They didn't outlaw words. No one besides internal government documentation is "required" to use these words. If that was the case, then they were already using the power of government to require ordinary people to use the word "manhole" before the change. The government changed the way that the government talks about things. That's it. I think it's silly and pointless, that's why I'll make jokes about it, but this oppressive angle some of you folks are trying to push isn't there.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They changed the wording in the municipal code. They didn't outlaw words. No one besides internal government documentation is "required" to use these words.
Well, that sounds like a requirement to me ;), but my comments were not about any single municipality or college campus but about the situation in general.

ianchadwick.com/blog/politically-correct-pronoun-madness/

Last edited:
Upvote 0