May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well, that sounds like a requirement to me ;), but my comments were not about any single municipality or college campus but about the situation in general.
It is a requirement. What it isn't is a requirement of "ordinary people". As for the situation in general, are there words that are illegal for ordinary people to say now somewhere in the US?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is a requirement. What it isn't is a requirement of "ordinary people".
For one example only, we have no official national language. English is merely the most common one and the language of commerce, etc.

You can speak Spanish or Swahili if you choose, but you cannot get away with speaking English and saying she when some bureaucrat or city commissioner says you must use he instead--or even ze since they go so far as to invent new words for the purpose.

As for the situation in general, are there words that are illegal for ordinary people to say now somewhere in the US?
Absolutely. All sorts of words have been classified as hate speech and using them can get you into a lot of trouble.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You can speak Spanish or Swahili if you choose, but you cannot get away with speaking English and saying she when some bureaucrat or city commissioner says you must use he instead--or even ze since they go so far as to invent new words for the purpose.
I can start referring to you as "she" and "her" on here and the only folks I'm going to get into trouble with are CF for flaming/goading. You can't call the cops on me. So what are you talking about?
Absolutely. All sorts of words have been classified as hate speech and using them can get you into a lot of trouble.
Name one outlawed word that it is illegal to speak or write. Even the n-word isn't outlawed. What are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can start referring to you as "she" and "her" on here and the only folks I'm going to get into trouble with are CF for flaming/goading. You can't call the cops on me. So what are you talking about?
I am talking about places in which there are more stringent rules. You seem bent upon talking as though there are no states, localities, colleges, business places, or the like where this is the case, but that is incorrect.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I am talking about places in which there are more stringent rules. You seem bent upon talking as though there are no states, localities, colleges, business places, or the like where this is the case, but that is incorrect.
Colleges and business aren't the government, so if they have rules about speech, then it isn't "government power". And yes, I don't believe there are states that have outlawed any words. Show me one.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Colleges and business aren't the government, so if they have rules about speech, then it isn't "government power". And yes, I don't believe there are states that have outlawed any words. Show me one.
You don't know that a public university is a government entity?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You don't know that a public university is a government entity?
Sure, you're right. There are some colleges that are publicly owned. Now, can you show me a state that has outlawed even one word?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Sure, you're right. There are some colleges that are publicly owned. Now, can you show me a state that has outlawed even one word?
Come on now. You know full well that these sporadic and scattered attempts to require politically correct speech are all part of a global atheist left-wing conspiracy to...er... um. Well, anyway, they are.

Upvote 0