Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question for ya, but first some background information.

I'm 18, I got saved when I was 5. I attend a "Church of God" church. I got the baptism of the Holy Ghost when I was about 13. I read my Bible almost everyday and I pray everyday.

My question is... I know God is so big we could never understand all of Him, but how do I learn and experience more of him? Any suggestions?

Aimee

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Matthew 7:7 " Ask, and it shall be given to you;..."
James 4:2 "you have not because you ask not..."
It may sound simple but many try everything they can think of rather than just asking the Lord. Ask specifically for what you want from the Lord is my suggestion. if you want more of the Lord then ask for that.
That is the best place to begin.

Reactions: sbbqb7n16
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The only way to experience more of Him is to spend time with Him. That goes way beyond reading your Bible and praying.

Reading the Bible tells us Who He is and praying brings us into relationship with Him, however, intamacy starts only when we stop asking for Him for our needs to be met and just start loving on Him.

Spend time worshipping Him, singing to Him, dancing before Him. Let Him touch those hidden parts of your heart and bring about the changes that only time in His presense can bring.

Allow your times of Bible reading to show you more of His nature and then allow your prayer time to experience His nature.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aimee03 said:
I have a question for ya, but first some background information.

I'm 18, I got saved when I was 5. I attend a "Church of God" church. I got the baptism of the Holy Ghost when I was about 13. I read my Bible almost everyday and I pray everyday.

My question is... I know God is so big we could never understand all of Him, but how do I learn and experience more of him? Any suggestions?

Aimee

I seemed to plateau out at the age of 20. I had been a Christian for a few years and just kind of sailed along on whatever people fed me. In short, they carried me. I eventually figured out that it was time to start working at this thing called spirituality. They most important thing I did was begin to pray the prayer found in Ephesians 1.

Eph 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Paul was praying for the Ephesians, but you can pray this for yourself!
Change the "you" to me "and" the "your" to "my".

"....give unto me the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of my understanding being enlightened; that I may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, ..."

This really revolutionized my walk with God. I began to see... really see!... what the Word is all about, who Jesus is, who we are, what is really going on. Not mere theology... but spiritual understanding... which is the stuff that faith and love is made of.
Hope this helped.

Upvote 0

PrayerMist

Catholic cutey
Jul 11, 2003
Over the rainbow
Visit site
✟15,215.00
Faith
Christian
Hey, Im 13 too, and I got basptist in the holy ghost!!!

anywayz... i hav a ?
Is there a limit to knowing God? i mean, do you just keep on getting more inmate with Him then just stop at some point, ?
Or do you just keep on knowing Him more and ore 4 alll of eterniety??? ( i know i spelled that worng..lolz)

Upvote 0

Kaye8

Jul 28, 2003
Visit site
✟200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Quaffer, well said. That is how you get to know the Lord. You can't just go to church on Sundays and be like ok I should know the Lord. It is like having a best friend. You dont make a best friend by spending one day with them. When you become best friends its because you spend more and more time with each other. You have to spend time with the Lord as Quaffer put. Something that really brought me closer to the Lord was something called the SPAM challenge. For a week I fasted from tv, all nonchristian music and books. I spent time reading the Bible, everywhere I went I sang out loud to christian music, He was all around me and it will not be an experience I will soon forget. Also Quaffer is right is saying there is no limit to knowing God. In this lifetime we can not get near knowing him fully. He is always full of surprises, he works in very mysterious ways. You are always learning something new. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

jayswife29

Jun 26, 2003
n.y.
Visit site
✟454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will have to agree with Quaffer on this. If we stop looking at God as a homework assignment then He will stop feeling like a challenge to us. Sometimes when I pray, I have nothing to say except"Thanks", then I just let Him love me. Other times I just want to sing His praises because I dont feel like talking TO Him. He is an awesome God, and I know He knows our hearts, He knows we love Him through song, fasting, or prayer. He even loves us when we dont follow the "rules" Just let God love you, thats the best way to become closer, then when you realize He truly does love you, the Bible becomes more than a book to educate yourself with, prayer becomes more than the "our Father" your relationship will become personal. Good luck on your journey.

Upvote 0

Heinrich

Jul 16, 2003
Western Cape
✟762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It took me many years to learn that even if your a Christian and spirit filled... you can still shut off parts of your life from God.
I really had to make an effort to give "stuff" to him.. And you know what.. It's amazing how he works in my life. He even puryfeid my dreams!!!!!
Walk with Jesus 24/7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

desper84unity

Jul 31, 2003
✟352.00
Faith
Christian
This a great question. You have already asked, and from reviewing answers already, you are getting gooood advice. See how fast God answers you.

Now I will offer you some real POWER from Jesus. Oswald Chambers, a great Christian, said obedience is like "dynamite" in a relationship with God. Although obedience doesn't save you, if you already have asked Christ Spirit into your heart, obedience will cause an explosion of closeness between you and God. Christ said those that will be closest to him will obey him, and then such a person will really get to know him...Jesus will respond ardently.

Obey what? Obey the commands of Jesus. Start with the so called "beattitudes" in the new Testament. Get a Bible that has the words of Jesus in red letters. Put yourself in the place of the disciples, or others that heard Christ speak. When Jesus says to do something or be something, go to God and ask him to make it plainer, and ask for the power of the Holy Spirit to help you to obey the command. Focus on Christ and you can't go wrong. Do more listening to God in prayer. Pray with your Bible open, especially pour over the words and descriptions of Christs life, what he said, and how he behaved towards people.

You're going be in great shape. God can do great things with person bent on pleasing Jesus. Jesus is alive, he is quite aware of you, and wants to help you suceed. If you're stuck on understanding some particular passage, go to your pastor and ask him what it means. Then obey it. Discuss your difficulties with obeying with Jesus is prayer too.

Some suggestions to obey God...

Ask God to fill you to overflowing with His Holy Spirit, every morning.

Get in touch with the goodness God will place in your heart. Be kind to people, courteous and polite. Reach out to be helpful to people in small ways, its Godly.

Resist bad things, ideas, and talk.

Begin to tell others about the goodness of God, and about who Jesus was, and how he paid our sin debts, how he will keep us alive with him forever if we will trust him, and ask him.

God bless you.

---desperate

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.