Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ninja Turtles said:
Thinking back to the masturbation threads, would donating your sperm be considered a sin?
Probably according to Catholic teaching.

Someone in the Catholic forum asked how a man would go about getting his sperm tested for fertility reasons without using self induction measures , and I *think* there was an answer for that... but I can't remember what it was.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Seeking...

A strange kettle of fish ...
May 20, 2004
Southern California
✟9,064.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Others
Miss Shelby said:
Probably according to Catholic teaching.

Someone in the Catholic forum asked how a man would go about getting his sperm tested for fertility reasons without using self induction measures , and I *think* there was an answer for that... but I can't remember what it was.

Michelle

He probably had his wife *help* him...

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
flicka said:
Often men have to provide a sample to their doctor and I'd hate to think they would be struggling with sin vs. proper health care.
They compromise they just cry like Jimmy Swaggert while doing it. :p

swaggart.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
charmtrap said:
Apologies if this has been answered before, but what is the (I assume) biblical justification for this?
Catholic theology isn't restricted to Biblical evidence for support of it's claims.

One reason, though, off the top, is often IVF leads to multiple fetuses being conceived and many resort to 'selective reduction'... IOW they abort the smaller ones to save the larger. That would be seen as sinful, so I don't know why any serious Catholic would want to chance it.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
flicka said:
Often men have to provide a sample to their doctor and I'd hate to think they would be struggling with sin vs. proper health care.
For purposes of fertility testing. What other reason would they have to provide a sperm sample to their doctor for testing? DNA?

In any event, they wouldn't need to struggle with their sin v proper health care if they spoke to their priest about it first. Usually, if it's a pertinent health issue, it changes the motive for the sinful act rendering it not sinful.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
charmtrap said:
Apologies if this has been answered before, but what is the (I assume) biblical justification for this?

Certainly.

[BIBLE]Genesis 2:24[/BIBLE]

The sexual act, according to Catholic theology, ought to be both unitive and procreative. The married relationship reflects (albeit infinitely lesser) the relationship between God and humanity. Therefore, to pervert the purpose and natural act of sexuality is to blaspheme against God and also to use sexuality to an end contrary to the divine command.

[BIBLE]Genesis 38:9-10[/BIBLE]

Thus it is believed that masturbation is sinful also, because not only is it selfish and a perversion of the purpose of divinely instituted sexuality, it also (for males) deliberately "spills the seed", which from the above passage can be seen to be sinful. This is, of course, related to the procreative and unitive purposes of sexuality-masturbation acheives meither of these.

[BIBLE]Exodus 20:13[/BIBLE]

[BIBLE]Jeremiah 1:5[/BIBLE]

Many embryos are usually produced, and the "undesirable" are murdered. :sick: :mad:

Peace,
Rob

Upvote 0

Green Man

Feb 4, 2005
Greensboro,NC
✟1,398.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Robbie_James_Francis said:
As with most things it depends who you ask. Are you asking me? My answer is yes, that would be sinful. Because (a) masturbation is sinful and (b) IVF is sinful.

Peace,
Rob

Several years ago,both my wife and I underwent testing to ascertain whether or not either of us had medical reasons for not being able to get her pregnant.While masturbation may not be the only to test the male,it certainly is the easiest most efficient method.Shortly after she was tested,she became pregnant.Our son is now four and a half years old.How can any of this be considered sinful?

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Robbie_James_Francis said:
The sexual act, according to Catholic theology, ought to be both unitive and procreative. The married relationship reflects (albeit infinitely lesser) the relationship between God and humanity. Therefore, to pervert the purpose and natural act of sexuality is to blaspheme against God and also to use sexuality to an end contrary to the divine command.
How on earth did you pull "contraceptives are bad" from that?! That verse has absolutely nothing to do with sex and isn't a divine command in any sense of the words. Why would God make sex so pleasurable but yet not allow it whenever you don't want kids? It doesn't make sense to me that God would give us something but only to tempt us with it.

[BIBLE]Genesis 38:9-10[/BIBLE]

Thus it is believed that masturbation is sinful also, because not only is it selfish and a perversion of the purpose of divinely instituted sexuality, it also (for males) deliberately "spills the seed", which from the above passage can be seen to be sinful. This is, of course, related to the procreative and unitive purposes of sexuality-masturbation acheives meither of these.

Have you bothered to look at the context of that verse and how it relates to the story of Onan? Doesn't look like it.

Many embryos are usually produced, and the "undesirable" are murdered.
That Jeremiah verse has absolutely nothing to do with sex.

Gah. Nocturnal emissions are sins too I take it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Invisible Trousers-I was asked if there was Scriptural support for Catholic teaching on these matters--I provided references to that Scripture. I'm not arguing, merely stating what the Church teaches.

invisible trousers said:
How on earth did you pull "contraceptives are bad" from that?! That verse has absolutely nothing to do with sex and isn't a divine command in any sense of the words. Why would God make sex so pleasurable but yet not allow it whenever you don't want kids? It doesn't make sense to me that God would give us something but only to tempt us with it.

It is believed that marriage is for procreation and for union. It is also believed that sexuality should be expressed in totally self-giving sexual intercourse between a man and a woman within Holy Matrimony. The two become "one flesh". Artificial contraception removes both the unitive (because it is not totally self-giving) and the procreative (because it closes the sexual act to the gift of childbearing).

Without meaning to offend, I honestly don't believe that your argument about God "tempting us with sex" has any merit whatsoever. I can see why you would say this...but please think about what you're saying:It's more pleasurable to have sex whenever you want so that must be the right thing to do. Orgies, inappropriate contentography, gluttony and laziness are pleasurable...so they're fine?

Sex is good, yes. But I hope that you would agree that Scripture would add that sex has a purpose and we ought not indulge our perversions of God's good things. Homosexuals, zoophiles, peadophiles and a great manner of sexually troubled persons, as well as those who do not desire marriage, also have sexual urges. Ought they be indulged simply because God has created sexuality, therfore humanity is supposedly unable to use it for evil? God created food, but humanity is able to starve others and gorge themselves, to worship food, to mistreat their healths and to sacrifice to idols...but God created food, so it cannot be used for evil.:scratch:

Genesis 9:7 says "Go forth and multiply" not "Go forth and enjoy yourselves...oh, and play safe!"

invisible trousers said:
Have you bothered to look at the context of that verse and how it relates to the story of Onan? Doesn't look like it.

The context of Onan's sin would seem to consist of:

[BIBLE]Genesis 38:6-10[/BIBLE]

So God was displeased that Onan had failed to bring forth children for his dead brother's wife. I knew that. However, I do not think the above passage is clear about what Onan's sin was:disobedience to his father, dishonouring his brother or spilling his seed. I'm not necessarily saying it must be the latter, however, and if any biblical scholars present can demonstarte why this is not the case I will gladly retract my use of this passage to back up my stance againts masturbation and artificial contraception. However, my stance shall remain the same.

invisible trousers said:
That Jeremiah verse has absolutely nothing to do with sex.

Indeed it does not. Charmtrap quoted me as saying "IVF is sinful" and asked for biblical support for this position. IVF involves masturbation, the removal of the unitive nature of the sexual act and killing embryos that are not desired in many cases. The quote from Jeremiah was to demonstrate from the Bible that God knows and humans from before birth. Combined with the Commandment of the Decalogue (Exdous chapter 20), this was a demonstration of why abortion is sinful scripturally.

invicible trousers said:
Gah. Nocturnal emissions are sins too I take it?

One cannot sin without intention. Nocturnal emissions do not involve intention for most, and cannot be sinful. It's like saying murder is sinful therefore if you, through no fault of your own whatsoever, were to have an accident that led to the death of another you have commited murder. It's preposterous.

Peace and grace,
Rob :hug:

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Miss Shelby said:
In any event, they wouldn't need to struggle with their sin v proper health care if they spoke to their priest about it first. Usually, if it's a pertinent health issue, it changes the motive for the sinful act rendering it not sinful.
This statement goes back to another thread I started awhile back. What makes something a sin? The action or the thought behind the action?

Upvote 0

FadingWhispers3

Senior Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
✟19,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Others
This statement goes back to another thread I started awhile back. What makes something a sin? The action or the thought behind the action?

Let us say that bad intentions always are sin no matter what action it is paired with whereas some actions may be sin even if there is no bad intent. That is one way to explain why Job offered sacrifices for his sons for sins they may have unknowingly done. If it were not possible to sin unknowingly, then there would be no need for Job to offer these sacrifices. Unless he assumed wrongly that it was possible although truely not. If someone does something wrong without knowing that it is wrong, the thought behind it is not bad. Unfortunately harmful effects may result even so.

Upvote 0