Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
More firearms do not keep people safe, hard numbers show. Why do so many Americans believe the opposite?
  • The claim that gun ownership stops crime is common in the U.S., and that belief drives laws that make it easy to own and keep firearms.
  • But about 30 careful studies show more guns are linked to more crimes: murders, rapes, and others. Far less research shows that guns help.
  • Interviews with people in heavily gun-owning towns show they are not as wedded to the crime defense idea as the gun lobby claims.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...utm_content&utm_term=health_feature_text_free

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This so-called study is just another anti-gun rant that uses similar 'studies' for support. It's just another meeting of the big anti-gun echo chamber.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
People can make numbers mean almost anything they want them to mean, but try explaining these stats to those who have used weapons to successfully defend themselves and their families.

That's where the reality is and where the numbers are meaningless.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Better interpretation of the statistics is that presence or absence of guns makes no statistically significant difference in a given circumstance.

Neighborhoods that are already safe stay safe when gun laws are relaxed.

Neighborhoods that are already dangerous stay dangerous when gun laws are tightened.

This is shown to be true internationally as well.

Either people are inclined to be violent in an area or they are not.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, this doesn't fit the narrative that some want, so they will ignore these studies.

Maybe it's time for Chicago to enact even stricter gun laws. Since crime is so low there already, stricter gun laws would prove through even lower crime afterwards that less guns equal less crime.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People can make numbers mean almost anything they want them to mean, but try explaining these stats to those who have used weapons to successfully defend themselves and their families.

That's where the reality is and where the numbers are meaningless.

I agree that the numbers, without context, are meaningless. I did a study some years ago on gun fatalities, accessing the actual case histories. Here is a sample of a common brief report of a gun suicide.

"John Smith, 86, took his life early yesterday. He had suffered long term illness and depression. Family members said that they were unaware of any suicidal thoughts."

A death by police enforcement.

"Joe Jones was killed in a shootout with police last evening. Jones, who had a long criminal history, was confronted at the scene of a robbery and was killed when he fired at police."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It depends on whose hands the guns end up in. More guns in the hands of bad guys is bad.

True. I think it's impossible to have them only end up in the hands of good guys who will never misuse them. In a free country though, that's the uncertainty that comes with liberty.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi eryk,

Well, my opinion, when it comes to guns, Americans are, overall...idiots. As Paul wrote, they are full of envy, greed and all kinds of wickedness. Americans are just ahead of the curve.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Most toddlers shouldn't be allowed to buy guns.
The only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is with a good toddler with a gun???

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi fender,

Yes, but don't you see that the answer to this carnage is that every toddler should be given a gun to protect themselves with. If every toddler had a gun, then the bad toddlers would be afraid to shoot, and if they did, they could quickly be put down. The NRA and all the gun lovers in the country should start a sub-group: Guns for Toddlers. Everybody knows the answer to gun violence is always put more guns in people's hands.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

(The above post was written with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Oh, in reading your follow up post that you wrote as I was writing mine, I see that you do get it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is with a good toddler with a gun???

Only if they're kept fully loaded with more than 1oz. of water.
pocket-money-collection-pocket-atomic-water-pistol-2_grande.jpg

Reactions: SBC
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, this doesn't fit the narrative that some want, so they will ignore these studies.

You're just being cynical. I'm sure that people on CF will view these studies with a neutral and open frame of mind as opposed to jus-

This so-called study is just another anti-gun rant that uses similar 'studies' for support. It's just another meeting of the big anti-gun echo chamber.

...okay then. Never mind.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're just being cynical. I'm sure that people on CF will view these studies with a neutral and open frame of mind as opposed to jus-

...okay then. Never mind.

What, and miss out on the fun ? (Plus the opportunity to enlighten others.)

Upvote 0