More Fellowship with Soph and Friends (196)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadiegrl

Merging my Theology with Reality!!!
May 1, 2008
California
✟22,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I studied it as a kid and later studied the culture some in high school where the term became remembered by me. I've had problems of being a perfectionist in the past either overdoing things or not doing anything and making a big deal out of something that is closer to trivial essentially it reminds me to try and keep things in perspective.

we are perhaps one of the older groups of folks here that have been around for awhile posting. There is very few left in the forum from all the owners it has had 3 since the original owner and each time the fancy features that attracted new folks vanished. We mostly just hang out and try to have fun in a Christ- like environment here.

Hiya!

I also deal with perfectionism as in a swinging pendulum between it and complacency. Working on being in balance and in harmony with God's will. Actually Christ is, I'm just trying to understand it all.

I prefer the older styles, and I remembered back in 2008 when I first got involved with CF, seeing this thread! Or of a variant title, but the name stuck. So anyways I figured this time around I'd focus on the friendly aspects of Christianity, as the debating doesn't tend to interest me very much. Maybe if its of a sincere nature then yes, but how often are debates civil? I'm at a place spiritually where just fellowship is important.

Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hiya!

I also deal with perfectionism as in a swinging pendulum between it and complacency. Working on being in balance and in harmony with God's will. Actually Christ is, I'm just trying to understand it all.

I prefer the older styles, and I remembered back in 2008 when I first got involved with CF, seeing this thread! Or of a variant title, but the name stuck. So anyways I figured this time around I'd focus on the friendly aspects of Christianity, as the debating doesn't tend to interest me very much. Maybe if its of a sincere nature then yes, but how often are debates civil? I'm at a place spiritually where just fellowship is important.
Fellowship is a major theme of John's First Epistle, which I really love.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks girls :) yea I had a hard time finding this thread again...getting used to the new settings and set my viewing style to the old one as it feels more like CF to me. Everything changes I guess. Could use some more positive changes in my life!
It took me a while to get used to the new format as well, but it's good, I think.

Upvote 0

Sadiegrl

May 1, 2008
California
✟22,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea I've got the hang of it now.

I know fellowship is important, I've been frustrated because of circumstances and I can't get out with other believers at church, or small groups, or anything for that matter! But I know that God is teaching me a lot from it; currently without cell service at home as we're semi-rural but just out of reach of towers, only intermittent Internet due to poor satellite reception, one vehicle between my husband and I and he works a lot. I've got three kids to keep me busy, but one can only take so much children conversations before needing adult communication. I do go to school online which is great, I love it, but gotta say I'm feeling like I'm in the doldrums often enough. What is God's will on dealing with boredom?? I study my Bible regularly with commentaries and other devotionals, keep up with household responsibilities, but still feels like I'm needing more of a social life. Funny how humans are so inclined to social environments, even if only briefly, we still need to communicate.

Thanks for my rant

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I know fellowship is important, I've been frustrated because of circumstances and I can't get out with other believers at church, or small groups, or anything for that matter! But I know that God is teaching me a lot from it; currently without cell service at home as we're semi-rural but just out of reach of towers, only intermittent Internet due to poor satellite reception, one vehicle between my husband and I and he works a lot. I've got three kids to keep me busy, but one can only take so much children conversations before needing adult communication. I do go to school online which is great, I love it, but gotta say I'm feeling like I'm in the doldrums often enough. What is God's will on dealing with boredom?? I study my Bible regularly with commentaries and other devotionals, keep up with household responsibilities, but still feels like I'm needing more of a social life. Funny how humans are so inclined to social environments, even if only briefly, we still need to communicate.

Thanks for my rant
The Word is central, right? :) whether for a believer at home or collectively with others.

There are several good threads that I participate in.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Hiya!

I've debated here and there but after awhile I get tired of most of it as we have people that promote their teachings here that are uninteresting in learning about Christianity essentially they are unteachable teachers. This is the 3rd iteration of my fellowship threads the second one was closed at 50k posts because it was causing problems with people trying to view it under the old forum software. this is the third iteration of fellowship threads with me sort of hosting if you want to call it that I mostly just hang out here now hoping if I and others anchor ourselves here mostly that people will come and hang out also as too many come and go in CF here one day or one thread and gone the next.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
It took me a while to get used to the new format as well, but it's good, I think.
I'm still leaning slightly negative from neutral here hoping that we have some hot shot coders involved in the forum that will improve the bling of the place as they have pretty much stripped ALL the features left from the old forum software.

Upvote 0

Sadiegrl

May 1, 2008
California
✟22,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've debated here and there but after awhile I get tired of most of it as we have people that promote their teachings here that are uninteresting in learning about Christianity essentially they are unteachable teachers. This is the 3rd iteration of my fellowship threads the second one was closed at 50k posts because it was causing problems with people trying to view it under the old forum software. this is the third iteration of fellowship threads with me sort of hosting if you want to call it that I mostly just hang out here now hoping if I and others anchor ourselves here mostly that people will come and hang out also as too many come and go in CF here one day or one thread and gone the next.

I hear you, it's good for people to have somewhere familiar to return to and see friends. I will admit I've been guilty of such fleeting encounters, but now am relying on CF for a primary Christian communications and while I occasionally get to talk about Christ with some family members, most people just don't want to hear it or are slightly annoyed. Either that or they feel like I'm too into it because I have a lot of Bible knowledge and want to talk about things I've read, whereas they just want to talk about something less in depth. Which is fine too, I like light conversation, but would like to know the opportunity to bring up deeper things without criticism was available.

So Soph, what's your family like??

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian

Thanks for my rant
I've gone to a few churches but I find often that people get either way too spiritual or not interested in learning about God or just there for socializing or something. As a single I found many churches don't know how to minister to singles they end up putting married folks in charge of them that have a disconnect in the way they want to do things. The singles group at my church is a joke IMO it is just an excuse to have singles go to a separate service on a separate night to take up offerings with no emphasis on singles issues nor any way for people to hang out with each other during that time and just fellowship.... phooey I say. I've pretty much gotten tired of services that are scripted and sermons that are like baby food for family folk while singles like me seem to know more about the bible than the pastor and preachers.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I hear you, it's good for people to have somewhere familiar to return to and see friends. I will admit I've been guilty of such fleeting encounters, but now am relying on CF for a primary Christian communications and while I occasionally get to talk about Christ with some family members, most people just don't want to hear it or are slightly annoyed. Either that or they feel like I'm too into it because I have a lot of Bible knowledge and want to talk about things I've read, whereas they just want to talk about something less in depth. Which is fine too, I like light conversation, but would like to know the opportunity to bring up deeper things without criticism was available.

So Soph, what's your family like??
I've been through my share of "friends" in life who for the most part I've found most of them too self centered for my liking such that just about the only friends I have now are here in this thread. My family is these people as I've had to distance myself from my aunts who have caused me enormous stress and my last parent passed away in 2006 and my two sisters seem to only call me when they want something. I guess I got tired of being the one to do 75% of the work in relationships (friendships) and when I back down to 25% people vanish on me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sadiegrl

May 1, 2008
California
✟22,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've gone to a few churches but I find often that people get either way too spiritual or not interested in learning about God or just there for socializing or something. As a single I found many churches don't know how to minister to singles they end up putting married folks in charge of them that have a disconnect in the way they want to do things. The singles group at my church is a joke IMO it is just an excuse to have singles go to a separate service on a separate night to take up offerings with no emphasis on singles issues nor any way for people to hang out with each other during that time and just fellowship.... phooey I say. I've pretty much gotten tired of services that are scripted and sermons that are like baby food for family folk while singles like me seem to know more about the bible than the pastor and preachers.

I've had similar experiences at churches and know only 1 or 2 that the Pastor actually teaches from his Bible and it isn't simply a prop on stage. But too many churches are all about drawing people in but not teaching them anything of Christ, or not enough to actually make any changes in their lives. Once I went to church with a friend and it was a big extravaganza with like a carnival and food after the sermon. The first half hour was a concert, and the Pastor didn't open his Bible once. My friend and I left and declined the food after the service. He even said to one of the greeters, "My soul wasn't fed so I'm certainly not feeding my body here." I wish I could be so bold in the faith! I don't tend to say things like that to other people.

But I know what you mean about there not being adequate teaching on issues that are actually relevant. Sure married couples have lots of problems, but those aren't the only issues in life. So much greater spiritual warfare is going on, and the disciplining of ourselves to be surrendered to Christ...that takes up my primary focus. Truly if more people read their Bibles, their lives would be changed. It's the only thing in this world that changes us from the inside out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.