Monks/Monastics vs Military Might: Is Self-Defense against Perversion Right?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm working on that with my son right now. I took him shooting last weekend and sighted in his 10/22, let him shoot my 9mm as well as a friend's AR-15. His karate instructor was an advanced marksmanship trainer in the MC as well as a competitive shooter for many years. I'm trying to talk him into doing some training locally. I'd like to get the CCP enhancement (MS) to cut way down on the restrictions where I can carry.
Hoping I could find a karate instructor for inexpensive price so I could be prepared...

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63495865 said:
Hoping I could find a karate instructor for inexpensive price so I could be prepared...

Wish you were here, they are great people and very reasonable. Some local schools are $70-$100 a month but they only charge $40 and have discounts for multiple family members.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wish you were here, they are great people and very reasonable. Some local schools are $70-$100 a month but they only charge $40 and have discounts for multiple family members.
$70 a month? That's a REALLY good price - and I wish something like that was available in my own area.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Curious - if I may ask - as to whether you've ever requested their feedback on some of the times we live in and what their own stances are when it comes to issues like militant gay activists or others trying to force others to obey what they do not agree with.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63599648 said:
Curious - if I may ask - as to whether you've ever requested their feedback on some of the times we live in and what their own stances are when it comes to issues like militant gay activists or others trying to force others to obey what they do not agree with.

I'll ask next time I see them. The owner and his wife are both instructors and both Orthodox but I'm not sure about the other instructors.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'll ask next time I see them. The owner and his wife are both instructors and both Orthodox but I'm not sure about the other instructors.
Oh wow - I had no idea the owner/instructors were Orthodox - but amazing to hear. It changes my perception a lot since I was under the impression you were seeing people who were not saved for instructions on fighting - but to hear other Orthodox training others to combat is intriguing.....

Look forward to hearing what they note...

Upvote 0

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63602180 said:
Oh wow - I had no idea the owner/instructors were Orthodox - but amazing to hear. It changes my perception a lot since I was under the impression you were seeing people who were not saved for instructions on fighting - but to hear other Orthodox training others to combat is intriguing.....

I love them, they are wonderful people. They stress respect and will hold a student back on a belt rank, regardless of technical skill, if they haven't been doing chores and being respectful at home.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63602180 said:

one of the best MMA heavyweights is a very devout Orthodox Christian, Fedor Emelianenko

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love them, they are wonderful people. They stress respect and will hold a student back on a belt rank, regardless of technical skill, if they haven't been doing chores and being respectful at home.
Mad respect for them in what they choose to emphasize when it comes to character......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I love the story about one of Fr. Arseny's spiritual children, a priest (as well as former Spetsnaz) who allowed punks to beat him as he travelled alone. When they attacked him with his family, he gave them a good thumping. He was fearful about it and his bishop told him he did the right thing and that God would forgive him.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love the story about one of Fr. Arseny's spiritual children, a priest (as well as former Spetsnaz) who allowed punks to beat him as he travelled alone. When they attacked him with his family, he gave them a good thumping. He was fearful about it and his bishop told him he did the right thing and that God would forgive him.
How old is that particular story you shared? Very interesting to see the variances in different responses - and that's something to keep in mind.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

there is a smiliar story from a new Martyr, a Fr Nestor in Russia. he was a martial artist before he became a priest, and it was said that he would never defend himself, but would always defend others or fight to prevent the desecration of Churches.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
there is a smiliar story from a new Martyr, a Fr Nestor in Russia. he was a martial artist before he became a priest, and it was said that he would never defend himself, but would always defend others or fight to prevent the desecration of Churches.
So in a time of persecution - or allowance of things like pillaging or rape - he'd be the type who defend those being taken advantage of and be willing to use deadly force to keep people from burning churches....but not the kind who, if caught alone, would choose to fight back.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

I wonder if he would have been a married priest with children if he would have felt differently about defending himself, as well?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if he would have been a married priest with children if he would have felt differently about defending himself, as well?
Good question...

Upvote 0