Monergist or Synergist?

Are you a Monergist or a Synergist (see the OP for definitions)?

• Synergist

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Monergist

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Both

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Confused

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is why I reject this theology

"Monergism: the view within Christian theology which holds that God works through the Holy Spirit to bring about the salvation of an individual through spiritual regeneration, regardless of the individual's cooperation.It is most often associated with the Reformed tradition"

John 1:11 "He came to HIS OWN and HIS OWN received Him not"
Rev 3 "I STAND at the door and KNOCK if anyone hears My voice AND OPENS the door I WILL come in"

Rom 10:9 "if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation"

Isaiah 5:4 "What MORE could I have done than that which I have already done? WHY then when I expected..."
Matt 23 "Jerusalem Jerusalem .. How I WANTED... but YOU would not"

2 Peter 3 "God is NOT WILLING that ANY should perish but that ALL should come to repentance"

1 John 2:2 Christ is "the Atoning Sacrifice for OUR sins and not for our sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD"

2 Cor 5 "We BEG YOU on behalf of Christ be reconciled to God"

So then "yeah" -- not monergism

I am sticking with Romans 10 on this one.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Here is why I reject this theology

"Monergism: the view within Christian theology which holds that God works through the Holy Spirit to bring about the salvation of an individual through spiritual regeneration, regardless of the individual's cooperation.It is most often associated with the Reformed tradition"

I am sticking with Romans 10 on this one.

No problem, assuming, of course, you also are sticking with all of the Bible, including such curious verses as this -

John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No problem, assuming, of course, you also are sticking with all of the Bible, including such curious verses as this -

John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

Of course I stick with John 6 and also John 12:32 "I will draw ALL mankind unto Me"

John 3 God so loved the WORLD "yes really"
2 Peter 3 God is not willing for any to perish but for ALL to come to repentance "yes really"

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Of course I stick with John 6 and also John 12:32 "I will draw ALL mankind unto Me"

2 Peter 3 God is not willing for any to perish but for ALL to come to repentance "yes really"

Thank you for making a scriptural basis for univeralism. BTW, classical universalism is monergistic.

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,116.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On another thread I threatened to start this new thread to find out who here considers their self to be synergist and who considers them selves to be monergists. For those who are unfamiliar with the terms here are Wikipedia entries for them.

Synergism - Wikipedia

Monergism |

You will see that these theologies have various strange bedfellows. For example, the Roman Catholic Church is strongly synergistic as is one of their strongest opponents - the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Speaking of which, various SDAs here have expressed strong beliefs on both sides of this spectrum. Where do to see yourself?

Thanks!
Monergism.
Phillipians 2:13..." For it is God who works in you to Will and to Act in order to fulfill HIS Good Purpose...

Romans 9:19...For who is able to resist His Will?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Monergism.
Phillipians 2:13..." For it is God who works in you to Will and to Act in order to fulfill HIS Good Purpose...

Romans 9:19...For who is able to resist His Will?

As you know, there is a rock solid base in scripture for monergism. Thanks for posting two of the verses.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for making a scriptural basis for univeralism. BTW, classical universalism is monergistic.

nope... synergism.
==================== hence

Rev 3 "I STAND at the door and KNOCK if anyone hears My voice AND OPENS the door I WILL come in"

Rom 10:9 "if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation"

Isaiah 5:4 "What MORE could I have done than that which I have already done? WHY then when I expected..."

2 Peter 3 "God is NOT WILLING that ANY should perish but that ALL should come to repentance"

1 John 2:2 Christ is "the Atoning Sacrifice for OUR sins and not for our sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD"

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom

nope... synergism.
==================== hence

Whose will is greater - man's or God's?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Whose will is greater - man's or God's?

God sovereignly willed the whosoever-will synergist system.

Monergists think God made me say that - but I know that it was of my own free will and the Holy Spirit's prompting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God sovereignly willed the whosoever-will synergist system.

Monergists think God made me say that - but I know that it was of my own free will and the Holy Spirit's prompting.

What if your own free will decides to ignore the Holy Spirit's promptiing?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What if your own free will decides to ignore the Holy Spirit's promptiing?

That would be synergism again.

Is your argument that those who agree with you are under monergism and those that do not agree with you are under synergism??

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That would be synergism again.

Is your argument that those who agree with you are under monergism and those that do not agree with you are under synergism??

Actually, I am not sure I have an "argument" at all, but am curious to see how each side of the spectrum perceives scripture passages used by the other side for their argument.

Upvote 0