✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi

I've recently read about monasteries in the time of the reformation. And realised that the Lutheran and Anglican church seemed to have been more evangelical or protestant. As Henry viii in Britain as well as the kings in Germany and the rest of Europe closed many monasteries down.

Now they seem to sprout like mushrooms, the Anglican and Lutheran monasteries.

Any one any ideas on that?

Esdra

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi

I've recently read about monasteries in the time of the reformation. And realised that the Lutheran and Anglican church seemed to have been more evangelical or protestant. As Henry viii in Britain as well as the kings in Germany and the rest of Europe closed many monasteries down.

Esdra

The monasteries (and friaries) at the time of the Reformation were widely held in contempt by the ordinary Christian people because of the scandalous behavior associated with them. Even at an earlier date, the image of the jolly drunken friar had become a stereotype, as in the Robin Hood stories.

In addition, they had become so unpopular that many houses had only a handful of monks although the property owned was extensive. Several centuries later, all of that had changed and the simpler lifestyle of the new monastic orders didn't present the same situation, nor are they very public these days, either.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see. Thanks for the answer. :)

Well, and why didn't whole monasteries convert to Anglicanism (or Lutheranism)?

Well, Luther's brothers basically followed him into reformed Christianity and sisters of a nearby nunnery converted, too. Luther's wife Katharine had been one of them. But the reason the majority didn't change is, I believe, because they would lose everything by doing so. Creature comforts and security matter even to monks!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let's go back to the Anglican church and England: there the monks and nuns could have gone with the reformation? Or was the Anglican church at that time not that Catholic as it is now?

Arguably, the monasteries and nunneries DID "go to" Anglicanism since Anglicanism--unlike Lutheranism--was just a continuation of the church that had been there for almost 1500 years. They could, I suppose, have left their own church in protest of something or other and aligned themselves with the Pope. Unfortunately for them, the matter was taken out of their hands when the king closed the monasteries.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ah I see. Interesting. So are there (in the meantime Anglican) monasterie that were found before the reformation? Do you know?
If you are asking if there were any monasteries that dated from before the Reformation and managed to avoid the dissolution that occurred under Henry VIII, I don't think so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see. Yeah quite probable.
But I assume some monastery buildings were 're-inhabited by Anglicans monks and nuns.

The first post-Reformation Anglican monastery is supposed to date from the 1840s, and that was in the USA. Many of the English monasteries (the buildings, that is) from Medieval times went on to be used in other capacities, of course, and still stand.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Hi

Esdra

Whereas Henry VIII forcibly closed down monasteries throughout England and Wales, monasteries in Lutheran lands had variety of fates. The Lutheran problem with monasticism essentially had to do with the meritorious theology of monastic vows, and therefore strongly emphasized that people were not bound by them. Thus many monks and nuns abandoned the cloistered life, even though the cloistered life was not itself a problem for many Lutheran reformers. The Augustinian Monastery in Wittenberg, for instance, was eventually abandoned by all the monks except for Luther himself, and then de facto became his family home.

Some monasteries continued to exist, however, and there has been increased interest in them just as there have been attempts to renewal Anglican monasticism.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟834,372.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Whereas Henry VIII forcibly closed down monasteries throughout England and Wales, monasteries in Lutheran lands had variety of fates. The Lutheran problem with monasticism essentially had to do with the meritorious theology of monastic vows, and therefore strongly emphasized that people were not bound by them. Thus many monks and nuns abandoned the cloistered life, even though the cloistered life was not itself a problem for many Lutheran reformers. The Augustinian Monastery in Wittenberg, for instance, was eventually abandoned by all the monks except for Luther himself, and then de facto became his family home.

Some monasteries continued to exist, however, and there has been increased interest in them just as there have been attempts to renewal Anglican monasticism.

Geographically it seems that the "smoother" the transition to Lutheranism, the more likely that monasticism persisted such as in Scandinavia.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Geographically it seems that the "smoother" the transition to Lutheranism, the more likely that monasticism persisted such as in Scandinavia.

Very true. I think that's equally true with a number of other "Catholic" elements like the episcopacy and older forms of the liturgy. The less opposition, the less people identified these elements with the opposition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Interesting. Is the Lutheran Church in Scandinavia really that "Catholic"?
Do you have a link to a Lutheran monastery there by chance?

Alas, not anymore. They still have bishops in apostolic succession, but the churches were at the forefront of introducing liberal modernity into Scandanavia a hundred years ago, and before that were largely taken up with rationalism and Pietism- all the great trends. Standard evangelical catholic Lutheranism still exists there, but it is rare.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟834,372.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Alas, not anymore. They still have bishops in apostolic succession, but the churches were at the forefront of introducing liberal modernity into Scandanavia a hundred years ago, and before that were largely taken up with rationalism and Pietism- all the great trends. Standard evangelical catholic Lutheranism still exists there, but it is rare.

And don't forget "secular humanism".

There are Confessional Lutherans there though, they have valid (according to the RCC) Apostolic Succession through the Church of Sweden, but are not in fellowship with them; they are known as the Mission Province of Sweden.

St. Augustine House in Michigan is affiliated with the Mission Provence; has a LCMS Prior.

Here's a search I did for "Lutheran Nuns": https://www.google.ca/search?q="Lut...t=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=qrNEUvCIG9DEqQGTvIBw

...And one for Monks too: https://www.google.ca/search?q="Lut...firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=BbREUsuAM8LpqgHk1YDoDg

Upvote 0