**Seventy-sevens fan**
Aug 14, 2002
Michigan
✟220.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't believe how brutal she was. She just kept hitting her again and again. :(  She knew what she was doing was wrong. That's why she waited to get her child in the car before she did it. And she did look around beforehand. Very obviously trying to make sure noone could see what she was about to do.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by LilyLamb
I disagree ... I know for a fact that there are too many people out there that honestly do not know how to parent ... they need to be taught that there are other/better ways to respond to a child that misbehaves ... especially if they were raised in a home where all they knew was physical punishment.

If we can provide counseling for married couples who are struggling with adultery, inappropriate content or just not being able to communicate with each other in order to SAVE the marriage ... then we should also be providing counseling to parents in order to SAVE their families.

There are too many children in foster care ... the answer to abuse isn't in "permanently" taking a child out of a home - but in temporarily providing a safe place while mom/dad get their act together and get the help they need to be better members of society.

Under a new policy that came out this spring parents are given one year to get their act together - that's more than enough time to show an effort to reunite the family - if they don't then the child is immediately available for adoption. The govt. is putting a stop to long-term (more than one year) and multiple foster care (more than two foster homes). There are only so many foster families that will be able to adopt only so many children ... these families need healing and help.

I agree with you Lilylamb.  This woman has a problem with aggression and she should receive help if she wants it and if she is truly willing to change.

Even though what she did was reprehensible, I'm sure the little girl doesn't understand why she is being separated from her mother.... and I'm sure that she loves her.   I'm not trying to make excuses for what she did because it made me sick to my stomach.  But we can't just toss her aside without giving her a chance to make it right. 

Michelle

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
And it can't be healthy for the daughter, either. First she receives a beating from her mom, then the police come and take her away. The daughter undoutedly feels like she's the criminal. Esepcially since she is not allowed to see her father, brothers, grandparents or anyone any more. In her heart, she is being punished for being a bad girl.

I think this is almost as big a crime as what the mother did.

Upvote 0

GritsnGrace

Legend
Sep 23, 2002
Louisiana
Visit site
✟38,028.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I work evenings, so I rarely get to see the news,. so I haven't gotten to see the video tape. But, my mother saw it, and she told me exactly what happened in the tape! Clenched fist and all! What I need to know is, how can she honestly plead innocent, with so much evidence? Now, I agree that she needs counseling, along with whatever punishment the courts dole out to her, but I also agree with the fact that she was placed in a foster home. I think it should be a long, long time before she gets this child back, if she ever does!

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, the rumors going around now are that this mother is a member of the "Traveling Irish" or the gypsy family that roams around the US in packs, doing various illegal things for their livelihood. The woman was said to have no address.

The woman allegedly became angered because she tried to return items to customer service and the people would not refund her money. This is one of the typical scams of this group: one will shoplift merchandise, another will attempt to redeem it for cash. There was a report that the little girl had been opening and playing with toys, which is why the mother reprimanded her. Supposedly, though, the little girl was reprimanded because she didn't steal her quota.

I found it interesting that the woman in the videotape was a blonde; the sobbing mother in later news broadcasts had dark brown hair.

Now, I must say, I don't know if this is just another Urban Legend, or if it's true, however there's enough suspicious information to give this story a shade of truth.

If this is the case, the girl might be better off OUTSIDE of that family!

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by mamabear56
I work evenings, so I rarely get to see the news,. so I haven't gotten to see the video tape. But, my mother saw it, and she told me exactly what happened in the tape! Clenched fist and all! What I need to know is, how can she honestly plead innocent, with so much evidence? Now, I agree that she needs counseling, along with whatever punishment the courts dole out to her, but I also agree with the fact that she was placed in a foster home. I think it should be a long, long time before she gets this child back, if she ever does!

She isn't pleading innocent. She has admitted that she is guilty and that she hurt her child.

I'm glad that God loves us enough to stop punishing us at the point where we admit our guilt. Then He works with us to change ourselves so we don't keep doing the same hurtful things over and over.

Maybe we should be more like God.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by VOW
FWIW, the rumors going around now are that this mother is a member of the "Traveling Irish" or the gypsy family that roams around the US in packs, doing various illegal things for their livelihood. The woman was said to have no address.

The woman allegedly became angered because she tried to return items to customer service and the people would not refund her money. This is one of the typical scams of this group: one will shoplift merchandise, another will attempt to redeem it for cash. There was a report that the little girl had been opening and playing with toys, which is why the mother reprimanded her. Supposedly, though, the little girl was reprimanded because she didn't steal her quota.

I found it interesting that the woman in the videotape was a blonde; the sobbing mother in later news broadcasts had dark brown hair.

Now, I must say, I don't know if this is just another Urban Legend, or if it's true, however there's enough suspicious information to give this story a shade of truth.

Peace,
~VOW

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

There is nothing that cannot be forgiven, and even thieves can be redeemed.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by VOW
FWIW, the rumors going around now are that this mother is a member of the "Traveling Irish" or the gypsy family that roams around the US in packs, doing various illegal things for their livelihood. The woman was said to have no address...

...I found it interesting that the woman in the videotape was a blonde; the sobbing mother in later news broadcasts had dark brown hair.

Peace,
~VOW

Everyone knows that only the lowest type of criminals use hair dye. Everyone else is satisfied with their natural color and anyone who colors their hair does it for criminal purposes. :mad:

I have to say, I can't get over how quick you Christians are to condemn this woman based on heresay, rumor and culture.

Shame.

WWJD?

Upvote 0

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Vow--I noticed the hair dye, too. Trying to evade police? She got caught red-handed and then tried to hide herself. Nice...

This isn't just judging (since that's what you seem to want to call it) just that woman, but ANY person who beats their own child doesn't deserve to have them--regardless of whether or not the child should be with the parent or not. If someone can step in NOW for that little girl, it may keep her from getting KILLED later on.

Yes God is forgiving and all, but we HAVE to protect our children--even if it means taking them away from abusive parents! Don't trivialize the life of a child by thinking they're better off with a parent--especially one who beats them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
No one is saying not to protect the little girl, but how is it in her best interest, long-term, to be permanently removed from her mother, if the mother is willing to change? In identical situations, the parent is given a few days in jail, parenting class and so on, and the child is returned when it is safe.

The same thing goes on someplace everyday. Children are NOT better off living in foster care, where people are paid to take care of them, than they are in their own families, where people take care of them because they love them. In fact, lots of children die every year in foster care due to neglect, beatings, etc. No paid stranger loves a child selflessly like a parent does.

If she can't be returned to her mother, then she ought to at least get to live with loving blood relatives.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This situation is looking more discouraging all the time. On O'Reilly last night they said that the parents have long criminal histories and that they are scam artisists...grifters of sorts.

I agree with lambslove that foster care is a horrible alternative. The children would probably all be separated, and coming from a broken family where I was separated from my siblings I can say from experience that it is not at all a good deal.

But will the parents be willing to change? With God all things are possible. A little prayer might be in order here. Maybe alot of prayer.

Michelle

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
I am a foster mom and I can say that I honestly "selflessly" love the children I am given - yes, I am paid to care for them - but you don't get rich off of foster parenting - these children come to us with practically nothing. The money we get gives us the ability to go to the store and buy them clothes, shoes, toys and things to decorate their room as well as personal items (like a brush). It also helps pay for activities that they may never have experienced. For example, the little six year old boy we had over the summer had never been to an amusement park - so we took him and he rode roller coasters for the first time ever. We also took him on a train ride in Lancaster County, PA. If it had been possible I would have also put him into a summer program at the school so he could meet the other children in the area and play with them - but his chemo treatments sort of interfered with that. We were able to put him through two different Vacation Bible School. We rented movies and I bought some things that I normally wouldn't buy (treat wise).

Yes, there are foster parents who abuse the system and take in children that they have no intention of loving or caring for ... however that is rare and not the norm. Our agency carefully screens parents and is careful when placing children in homes ... they are also very supportive and available at a moments notice.

The little boy we had finished his chemo treatments and was able to rejoin his brothers in another foster home - that foster family has him in a private Christian school and his younger brothers attend the daycare there a few times a week. Our purpose was to get him through his chemo treatments and get him reunited with his brothers. Whether or not he/they will be reunited with their parents is another story - but that's up to the parents.

This little girl DOES need to be in foster care right now ... hopefully she will not be in a foster home indefinitely ... but if her parents don't get their act together then she deserves better.

MHO FWIW

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was attacking foster moms--I hope to be one some day.

Foster parents are a godsend to children whose parents are not able or willing to care for their own children.

But I don't think fostering should be a permanent solution to a child's needs, and whenever possible, the children should be returned to the original family, or to the extended family. Taking kids away permanently can ruin their lives by causing them to lose touch with family.

Unless the parents are unable or unwilling to become better parents, the child should never be taken away permanently.

I know this from the experience with a few friends, now adults. They were taken from their families, and had no other family who could take them. The went to foster care, where one stayed for more than a decade, and the other for 14 years. When they were put out of the system at 18, they had no idea how or where to contact any family. They are fundamentally orphans. And even if they could have found family, they didn't know what to say or how to relate to them. These now forty-something adults have always felt lost and drifting in their own lives. One never married and had kids for fear that they would be taken away and forced to live without familial love, and the other married three times, looking for a way to establish a family that would fulfill her childhood needs.

Fostering should be a last resort, and a temporary solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KeepTheFaith15

Thats Me whats can i say?
she needs jesus. point blank period, confess her sins and ask her into her heart, but she doesnt deserve the child back, god gave her that child, not to beat and abuse, to love and care for and she obviously cant do that so she shouldnt be raising children. god will give that girl a good home where someone will love and care for her.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟35,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by OntheRock
Children are more resilient that we give them credit for. They tend to forget alot of bad. If this was not so, then we'd be over run with adults full of emotional scars from childhood.

But Rock we ARE over run with adults full of emotional scars from childhood.  Everyone is a victim... of beatings, of neglect, of over-protection, of over-zealous religious training, of verbal abuse, of spankings, of sexual repression, of bigotry, of (oh I love this one) disenfranchisement....

Don't you see?  The problem I see lies with the adults who can't accept responsibility for their actions.  It all has to be a result of someone ELSE's actions, or lack of action or whatever.  "I'm being this way because my Mommie spanked me once and it hurt my feelings, and now I'm not even sure if she ever loved me at all.....", "I'm angry at the world because as a left-handed woman, I am seen by the world as less than normal"  No, you're being this way because you are trying to act like what you think a child should, at a time when childish things should be behind you. You see how ridiculous this all sounds??  We are living in a generation who have been raised with blurred lines of what is acceptable and what isn't. 

I AM a survivor of child abuse, sexual and physical.  But I am not "that way" anymore.  I have chosen to live a life apart from that.  I do not live my life because of or as a response to my childhood.  I am a bigger person than that now.  I am an adult, with children of my own.  I am required to live in an appropriate manner. 

This mother does need the love of God, and she also needs to be held accountable for the violence she did.  If she had done this act against a person of adult age, she would be imprisoned immediately.  She needs to admit that what she did to her child is unacceptable, and inexcusable.  She is the adult in this picture, and she should be required to behave accordingly.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟35,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by lambslove
I'm glad that God is more merciful than humans seem to be...

It would be awful if, when we goofed up at something, He said, "I'll forgive you,I'll never give you another chance."

I have been on the receiving end of "forgiveness" like that.  It sucks.  You are exactly right, I am forever thankful that my God doesn't forgive that way.

On the other hand, there is forgiveness, but there is also responsibility.  There are consequences for our actions, forgiven or not.  The one with AIDS after a sinful lifestyle is not going to be miraculously healed after getting right with God.  This woman will still need to be held accountable for what she has done, even if she is shown God's way and comes to the Truth.

Upvote 0