✟251,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
@Paidiske
My former husband was pulled to the side after we arrived at a fancy restaurant. the very kind and friendly man working at the front of the house, asked my husband if he had a suit jacket, and he did not.

Ever so nicely, he informed us that it was just fine, and that he had a whole closet of suit jackets and he could pick and chose which one he liked.

My husband was impressed by the vast array of suit jackets hanging up in a special closet off to the side.

He was assisted in trying them on until we found the right one.

We felt so special and that we were giving ourselves a real treat.

I passed in my full length summer dress with a shawl.

We were treated very well dining there.

We did not take any offense, but felt that we were helped to not be out of place even before we entered the dining area.

Just my two cents on special garments being given out in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟251,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
When I'm not feeling well, I have permission by my spiritual director as well as my priest to stay at home and watch the mass online.

I am not dressed up.

In my snugly pajamas and full length fuzzy bath robe, I cuddle up to the computer with my blanket.

My hearts in the right place and God knows my circumstance.

Often, when going in person to mass, I had a hard time getting my dress on and my tights, so to look modest, but no matter how wiped I can be on any particular day, I tried and made the effort.

However, will God be disrespected when all I can muster is to pull on my granny slacks and a loose fitting smock?

I have seen similar older ladies with slacks and a blouse, often with cane, or walker or wheelchair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If I turned up to church somewhere, and they refused to let me in the door unless I accepted some arbitrary article of clothing because they decided my own was inadequate, I would take that as a massive red flag, turn right around, and leave. No matter how much I had genuinely wanted to attend, that would squash that desire right there. Because no matter how nicely you try to do it, that offer comes with a load of judgement and shame.
St Peter’s requires that knees and shoulders be covered, especially if you enter the basilica during mass. It’s pretty normal for churches to expect visitors to show a measure of respect.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I understand it, this is not how we are to treat one another. You cannot love your neighbour while judging and shaming them; those are tactics of control, not love.
There are several examples in the Bible of professing Christians being shamed, judged, disciplined, handed over to Satan, etc. Like it or not, when you say "I'm a Christian", there's certain standards of living you're expected to meet from that point on. A failure of leadership to protect their congregations from the people who intentionally want to buck biblical authority in the name of their own pride is how churches spiritually die.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMG_4717.gif

Reactions: MForbes
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know this is fantasy, but the Faith Militant gets what's coming to them in this TV series.
Pretty much everybody in that series does.

I much prefer Rebecca Welton (Ted Lasso) to Septa Unella. I want to be Rebecca when I grow up.

IMG_4719.gif

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pretty much everybody in that series does.

I much prefer Rebecca Welton (Ted Lasso) to Septa Unella. I want to be Rebecca when I grow up.

View attachment 341783
Yup. Pretty much everyone. Although I wanted to see Cersei Lannister die a slow painful death.....and it didn't happen. Disappointing.......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup. Pretty much everyone. Although I wanted to see Cersei Lannister die a slow painful death.....and it didn't happen. Disappointing......
Her death was heckin lame. Still time to change it in the book, though.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It makes me wonder how close he's gonna follow the series script when he finally puts out another book.
I think he basically said “not at all.” I suspect HBO doesn’t want him to either so they can reboot the series where it fell apart.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think he basically said “not at all.” I suspect HBO doesn’t want him to either so they can reboot the series where it fell apart.
Yeah, I'm hoping the book is better than what happened to the series in the last few episodes.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@Tropical Wilds @MForbes
While it is intriguing to see how your viewpoint on modesty is directly correlated with how much sewage you allow HBO to pump into your home, could you both nerd out on this trash somewhere else?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Tropical Wilds @MForbes
While it is intriguing to see how your viewpoint on modesty is directly correlated with how much sewage you allow HBO to pump into your home, could you both nerd out on this trash somewhere else?
My, your grumpy today.

It shouldn’t be that intriguing, all I watch on HBO is Studio Ghibli, TCM, and Julia. Thats about it. My husband watched GoT, I just read the recaps and talked with him about it. I enjoyed the story, for the most part, and the characters (Pedro Pascal, Natalie Dormer, Gwendolyn Christie ), but the violence was overly much for me. The S/A scenes were too much. But I never had issue with the sex content or nudity. That was whatever.

Personally, my only complaint is that HBO Max too expensive. Or it is for those who don’t password share, anyway.

I was pretty clear, though, I was team Ted Lasso vs GoT. And I enjoy nerding out on my trash with other fans whenever the opportunity arises.

IMG_4724.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Tropical Wilds @MForbes
Actually, the over-reactions of the Faith Militant in that show are kind of what I would expect from militant Christianity if it was legally allowed here in the U.S.

So in a way, it does tie in to this thread as far as the shame some folks wish to pour down upon a woman who might not be dressed according to their "religiousness".

_mQ6tD.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sunflower39

Anglican
Aug 23, 2023
UK
✟22,287.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I attend an Anglo-Catholic church and it’s pretty relaxed. People turn up wearing all sorts and nobody cares. I usually wear jeans and a top, but not too low cut or I’ll wear a dress but not down to my ankles, I’m not an old lady! I have worn short dresses but not too short.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Just ignore your biological drive to notice sexual appeal in women bro. Lol.
Christians use their actions to dictate feelings. We are not to let our feelings dictate our actions.
If you can show me a post where I stated "I don't believe in Jesus Christ", I'd like to see it. But your observations about me and my beliefs don't belong on this thread.
Regardless, you refuse to make a clarifying statement to clear it up. That is not on others. That is your decision.

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Asking a question in regard to 1 Timothy 2:9-10, which states:

"I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God" (NIV).

How would you define the "dress code", if you will, described in this excerpt?

Do you think churches should have a defined dress code, such as guidance on neckline, skirt/pant length, sleeve length, etc., or do you think the interpretation should be left up to the individual?

Would you confront a woman who you thought may be pushing the boundaries with the way they were dressing in church? What about in public in general? If so, how? (I'm speaking of a fellow believer here, not just any random woman you think is dressed inappropriate.)

If a fellow believer approached you and said a woman in your church was dressing in a manner that caused them to either fall under temptation or to sin, how would you address this situation?
A lot of people at my church, men, wear suits. I don't own a suit.
Alot of the women wear dresses. My wife mostly does.

Sunday morning is much more formal.
Sunday night is much more formal.
Wednesday night is much more relaxed.

I heard once a lady that was talked to because she brought her kids to church Sunday morning in their PJs. People actually complained. Turns out, she is poor, single parent, and she is doing her best to get her kids to church!

Stop looking for other peoples sins. Especially when they are not even sins.
Women are not responsible for men's eyes and thoughts. That is up to the Man to train himself to not be subdued by his thoughts and feelings.

Churches need to teach TRAINING in things to their people! Its all about training!

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0