USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
An option I use a bit is to buy from an online retailer who will tailor to their customers' measurements. Each piece is adjusted for the individual buyer, but because they do many, they still have economies of scale. I pay a bit more perhaps than I would for off the rack, but tend to think it's worth it. But I would pay a lot more to get someone to make something for me, from scratch.

That's the made to order option I referenced. They have in-house patterns that are adjusted as you've noted. Whereas bespoke pieces include a custom drafted pattern and the garment. The pattern is kept on hand for future items.

Hobbyists use a similar option with commercial sewing patterns. Very few draft their own. The classes are more expensive and must be taken in person to prepare each element. In that respect it's more akin to tailoring and includes custom parts like a sleeve, collar and pocket which make up the piece when combined. Most people who learn the process work in the industry as fashion designers, ateliers or tailors.

~bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your question wasn't unclear. It was obvious, of course, which is why I addressed it for the reasons I mentioned.
It's good that you consider the headship arrangement God put in place.

Nevertheless she's wrong and @LovebirdsFlying acknowledged his disagreement with the child's attire. If she's unwilling to change and he's unable to influence her the child suffers most. She's the victim in all of this.

It's impossible to know all the nuances of their marriage from afar. But there's a few qualities that are difficult to tuck in. A person that's strong-willed or stubborn is going to show it eventually. It isn't unreasonable to question the pairing in light of the circumstances. But when you're looking at the roots you have to start at the beginning.

There's a reason he chose her and she did the same and both are influenced by their upbringing and other factors. Choices have consequences and we all pay the piper. And that's biblical. In light of their decisions they're going to experience hardships until change occurs. Where they are today isn't necessarily where they began.

Mutual ownership is a must. That's how healthy bonds are forged. Every one must own their mistakes. That's how you grow.

~bella

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You are so right about identity.
Even persons who do not necessarily practice Christianity, are aware of this.

I was searching for information that shows, the way we dress, is actually part of our behavior, and I came across, this item:

You Are What You Wear

The type of clothes you wear – and the kinds of accessories you use to either jazz them up or tone them down – says a lot about who you are, where you’re from, what you do and how you feel about yourself and others.

In fact, dress scholars Mary Ellen Roach and Joanne Eicher, find that dress is one of the main ways we send social signals because
what we wear shows our identity.

You said, though, "
The paragraph is not about modest dress for women -- it is about appropriate
behavior for men and women in the congregation (in worship)."

Can you clarify? Were you considering the paragraph only, and not the sentences in the paragraph?

1 Timothy 2:9
New International Version
I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,

Paul said, "I also want the women to dress modestly". That's about modest dress for women, isn't it?

Paragraph divisions in writing, signal a "context" for the individual sentences in the paragraph.

In this Greek paragraph, Paul is addressing CHRISTIANS, and specifically, how Christians
should behave WHEN GATHERED IN THE CONGREGATION.

This is a very basic point to be made, when thinking about the meaning of a specific
sentence in the Bible. Unfortunately, many Bible teachers don't get the basics of
human writing, and writing by the biblical authors, right. In most books in the Bible,
taking a verse out of the context of the paragraph where it occurs, means losing
meaning as to what the sentence or phrase means.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paragraph divisions in writing, signal a "context" for the individual sentences in the paragraph.

In this Greek paragraph, Paul is addressing CHRISTIANS, and specifically, how Christians
should behave WHEN GATHERED IN THE CONGREGATION.

This is a very basic point to be made, when thinking about the meaning of a specific
sentence in the Bible. Unfortunately, many Bible teachers don't get the basics of
human writing, and writing by the biblical authors, right. In most books in the Bible,
taking a verse out of the context of the paragraph where it occurs, means losing
meaning as to what the sentence or phrase means.
Context is one thing. Specification is another.
For example, I am addressing an entire class about what I expect from my student, and then I said, and you Jack, I want you to xyz.
Doesn't mean that I did not address Jack, and the position I want him to, be in, does it?
Paul specifically addressed modest dress for women.
Are you saying that is not so?

Yes, I agree basic points are often warped into something other than what is there, and many Bible teachers don't get the basics of human writing, and writing by the biblical authors, right, and of course, lose the meaning as to what a sentence means.

For example, many read a sentence, and then ignore the sentence, because something was added to the sentence.
Paul, said, "likewise / in like manner / also / and...
I want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,

Some exclude the phrase "dress modestly with decency and propriety", and associate "elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes" with the total focus of what Paul wanted.
Others ignore, the entire aspect of dress, and determine that behavior, and the heart condition, are solely what Paul is addressing.
I'm not sure what position you take. I get a little confused when I read someone's post, that seems to say two different things.

That's why I asked for clarity, but I'm not sure I got it, even though I know you tried.
Thanks for doing so.
If you have patience enough to deal with my hard head, you can try again. I try to be patient.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’d like to ask a question to the people who have posted here who feel the need to judge women based on their clothing…
I don't mind answering this.
I'm glad you are willing to have the discussion after all, sunflower.
Thanks for asking,

I hope you are also willing to share, because I too have a question. I'll answer yours, of course.
Are persons in the congregation to make judgments?
Jesus said, at Matthew 7
15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

For someone to differentiate between good fruit, and rotten fruit, they have to make a judgment, don't they? They have to examine characteristics, and make determinations about them. Isn't that so?

The matter of judging, is further revealed in 1 Corinthians 5:12, 13.
12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”

Just as the elders need - are required - to judge those in the congregation, other brothers and sisters, who are not blind, will form their own judgments.
You yourself make judgments, for example, referring to persons who dress in what has long been known as decent and well arranged, as dressing like a grandmother.
decent_well-arranged.jpg

What I'd like to ask, is, if the elders in the first century, gave counsel to a brother, or sister, on their dress, in accordance with 1 Timothy 2:9, 10, and the person does not adjust, because they do not consider their clothing inappropriate, what might the elders do, and would you support their decision?
For example:
dress-man-woman.jpg

How do you know that the woman walking down the street wearing the short skirt is not more of a committed Christian than you and I are?
That is a good question.
You said committed Christian, so I assume you mean committed to God, and not committed to the standards of the world's view of Christian.

In Titus 2:2-8, Paul repeatedly used the term néphalios - sober-minded
It carries the thought of being clear-minded; circumspect ("sober"), free from life-dominating influences. We might as well say, a person having good judgment. So we could appreciate the expression there "free from life-dominating influences". Or, not influenced or swayed by the world.

Paul also frequently used the term sóphrón: of sound mind, self-controlled, which involves modesty, chastity, along with sober-minded.

Would you say a person lacking these two qualities, can be, as you put it, "more of a committed Christian"?
How do we know the person who identifies with the world, is not more committed?
What we choose to wear, sends a message about who we are, our values - it's an identity.

"Many women do not even seem to reali[z]e the extent to which their clothing is sending certain messages. A lot of this comes down to the way men and women are wired."
I did ask that you gave it some consideration. Remember?

Someone else @Stephen3141 said something similar:
There is no room in the People of God, for those who identify as something other than a child of God. And this means that our dress, and behavior, and hair styles, all need to conform to God's standards of decency.

Would you care to share how you feel about these statements?
We would be interesting in hearing from you.

How would we know if someone isn't good association, for our children?
Isn't it by what we see? Does it not come back down to what Jesus said about fruit, and identifying marks?

Maybe you and I fall short in areas she doesn’t.
We all fall short. No human is perfect.
However, when any counsel is given, we should use it to our benefit, rather than point out things that we do not know, nor can see.

What people see, is what, determines the reputation we get.
Hence, the elders do not consider an individual a good recommendation, if they do not have a good reputation from onlookers.
1 Timothy 3:7
Furthermore, he must have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the snare of the devil.​

While the world loses sight of what decency is, as their standard drop lower, and lower, being sober-minded, and self-controlled allows Christian sister, not to lose track of what decency is.
This too, does good for onlookers.
Titus 2:3-5
3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things — 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

If we profess to be Christian, anything we do, whether it be what we watch for entertainment, what words we use, how we choose to dress, all have an impact on how onlookers view God's word.
The impact can either be positive, or negative.

Do we want to contribute to the negative?
You want to contribute to people viewing the word positively, don't you.

Attachments

• dress-man-woman.jpg
    dress-man-woman.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 8
  • decent_well-arranged.jpg
    decent_well-arranged.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nevertheless she's wrong and @LovebirdsFlying acknowledged his disagreement with the child's attire. If she's unwilling to change and he's unable to influence her the child suffers most. She's the victim in all of this.
Sadly, that is the case with millions of children.

It's impossible to know all the nuances of their marriage from afar. But there's a few qualities that are difficult to tuck in. A person that's strong-willed or stubborn is going to show it eventually. It isn't unreasonable to question the pairing in light of the circumstances. But when you're looking at the roots you have to start at the beginning.
Certainly, if she is a babe - that is, she hasn't reached spiritual maturity, it is understandable, that she will allow a former course of life to dominate her thinking.
So, it could take some time to conform to the Christ-like mentality.
If she is indeed being taught by Christ, she will make those adjustments quickly. Ephesians 4:20-24

There's a reason he chose her and she did the same and both are influenced by their upbringing and other factors. Choices have consequences and we all pay the piper. And that's biblical. In light of their decisions they're going to experience hardships until change occurs. Where they are today isn't necessarily where they began.

Mutual ownership is a must. That's how healthy bonds are forged. Every one must own their mistakes. That's how you grow.

~bella
I'm with you. I understand that perspective.
Do you find though that some people do not seem to "grow", and do you think this sometimes is due to the fact that where the person is going for worship, is not helping them to grow spiritually?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm with you. I understand that perspective.
Do you find though that some people do not seem to "grow", and do you think this sometimes is due to the fact that where the person is going for worship, is not helping them to grow spiritually?

Most people don't know how to progress in the natural. Why would the spiritual be easier? It uses the same principles. You have to look at your life and experiences good and bad and consider their impact. This should occur in your early twenties. It sets the stage for everything that follows.

That includes examining your upbringing and beliefs. What's working or in need of change? That's how you learn what to focus on. You do a diagnosis and determine the areas in need of the greatest assistance. If you can't scrutinize your parents how will you do the same with a potential spouse or pastor? The first truth bomb begets the rest. If you close your eyes in one place you'll do the same in another and be deceived.

From my observation, Christians spend a lot of time debating life issues because their home life was ineffective. Their parents didn't emphasize the right things or establish principles based on sound reasons they could understand.

You don't need the bible to tell you to dress modest. Your common sense should remind you of the dangers of doing otherwise. You learn about consequences as a child and if it's properly ingrained that's enough. You don't want those experiences.

A lot of people had a roof over their head and little instruction. That's their reality. What do you expect from them when they're of age? They need a do-over. You have to fill in the gaps or there's a bumpy road ahead.

~bella

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad to hear that. So the length of the skirt matters, and some lengths are inappropriate - indecent - for Christians... at least if one is not in the privacy of their home.
Thank you.

Sometimes.
Thank you again, because when you said "any of [the lengths I posted] can be modest", my hair stood on end.
I am thinking to myself... Well that's not important now.
Glad to know you didn't give that much thought at the time.

I'm interested in hearing then, why you think the skirt that is six inches above the knee, is inappropriate, and if you think the skirt 2, 3, 4, and 5 inches above the knee is any different, and why, or why not?

What's the difference between a shorts and a panty, under a mini skirt?
Is the message sent, not the same in both cases, since the men can see neither, unless... ?

I agree there are modest bathing suits, and immodest ones, and you are right, some are skimpy to an extreme, and some are skimpy but the designer gets away with the subtle inappropriate missing pieces, which some professing to be Christian are happy to wear.

Nice scriptural reference.

That's an interesting bit of information you just shared there.
The only problem with it, is that we could begin to judge sisters of being cunning, when they might not be, but simply wearing the heels because they like the style.
Also, they may not have a husband to tell them, "Honey. You look real good, in those heels, but... your hips are saying more than you and I want them to say."
I'd rather not get into straining at a gnat with the precise acceptability of skirt lengths.

Not against continuing the discussion further, but I don't have time at the moment.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most people don't know how to progress in the natural. Why would the spiritual be easier? It uses the same principles. You have to look at your life and experiences good and bad and consider their impact. This should occur in your early twenties. It sets the stage for everything that follows.

That includes examining your upbringing and beliefs. What's working or in need of change? That's how you learn what to focus on. You do a diagnosis and determine the areas in need of the greatest assistance. If you can't scrutinize your parents how will you do the same with a potential spouse or pastor? The first truth bomb begets the rest. If you close your eyes in one place you'll do the same in another and be deceived.

From my observation, Christians spend a lot of time debating life issues because their home life was ineffective. Their parents didn't emphasize the right things or establish principles based on sound reasons they could understand.

You don't need the bible to tell you to dress modest. Your common sense should remind you of the dangers of doing otherwise. You learn about consequences as a child and if it's properly ingrained that's enough. You don't want those experiences.

A lot of people had a roof over their head and little instruction. That's their reality. What do you expect from them when they're of age? They need a do-over. You have to fill in the gaps or there's a bumpy road ahead.

~bella
An honest self evaluation. Sounds good to me.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It seems pretty clear that what he's talking about is dressing ostentatiously to garner attention. Modesty would include not being deliberately sexually provocative, but it is more than only that. It also includes not being overly ostentatious or flamboyant etc.

The point is to dress with decorum and, of course, this applies to both men and women. Your clothes should be respectful both to the occasion, the place, and the people you will be with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Context is one thing. Specification is another.
For example, I am addressing an entire class about what I expect from my student, and then I said, and you Jack, I want you to xyz.
Doesn't mean that I did not address Jack, and the position I want him to, be in, does it?
Paul specifically addressed modest dress for women.
Are you saying that is not so?

Yes, I agree basic points are often warped into something other than what is there, and many Bible teachers don't get the basics of human writing, and writing by the biblical authors, right, and of course, lose the meaning as to what a sentence means.

For example, many read a sentence, and then ignore the sentence, because something was added to the sentence.
Paul, said, "likewise / in like manner / also / and...
I want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,

Some exclude the phrase "dress modestly with decency and propriety", and associate "elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes" with the total focus of what Paul wanted.
Others ignore, the entire aspect of dress, and determine that behavior, and the heart condition, are solely what Paul is addressing.
I'm not sure what position you take. I get a little confused when I read someone's post, that seems to say two different things.

That's why I asked for clarity, but I'm not sure I got it, even though I know you tried.
Thanks for doing so.
If you have patience enough to deal with my hard head, you can try again. I try to be patient.

"Specification" and context are not in conflict.
"Specification" is nested within context.

When Paul, in this text, uses language such as "along the same lines" or "likewise",
he is not changing the context. The same context still applies. He is simply stating
another command that fits into the context.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd rather not get into straining at a gnat with the precise acceptability of skirt lengths.

Not against continuing the discussion further, but I don't have time at the moment.
I was hoping to get input from other persons, but that's okay. I did get an answer.
Remember, Jesus demonstrated that an unsatisfactory answer, is just as good as a satisfactory one.
Matthew 3:4-6; Matthew 22:23-27
There is also a time to keep silent. Ecclesiastes 3:7 For good reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Specification" and context are not in conflict.
"Specification" is nested within context.

When Paul, in this text, uses language such as "along the same lines" or "likewise",
he is not changing the context. The same context still applies. He is simply stating
another command that fits into the context.
Thank you.
So, does "likewise" involves specifically, how Christians should behave WHEN GATHERED IN THE CONGREGATION - namely, how the women should conduct themselves, in the matter of dress and grooming?

Upvote 0