Missouri lawmakers anticipate challenges in 2024 after record-breaking budget and declining revenue projections

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The state of Missouri is expecting a decline in general revenue in 2024 following a record-setting budget approved earlier this year.

The projections leave some lawmakers concerned about the state’s future.

It’s a constitutional requirement for the General Assembly to pass a balanced budget by May.

Over the past few years, lawmakers have approved income tax cuts, and counties can now freeze property taxes for seniors. These cuts are causing concern for some.

Earlier this year, Gov. Mike Parson signed off on the largest budget in state history, which included nearly $3 billion to expand Interstate 70 to three lanes across the state.

“I argue if you can put the taxes back into the taxpayer’s pocket, they are going to spend the money,” said [state house speaker] Plocher. “They are going to be able to afford those necessary items, food, shelter, cars, things like that, that just go back into the economy and employ more Missourians.”

But they are not going to be able to expand interstate 70.

Reactions: Vambram

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I lived in Missouri 9 years and still visit frequently. Expanding I70, or I44, or I49 to three lanes through the miles of farm country is unnecessary. Expanding to three lanes near mid-sized cities (Springfield, Columbia, etc.) is sensible.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The state of Missouri is expecting a decline in general revenue in 2024 following a record-setting budget approved earlier this year.

The projections leave some lawmakers concerned about the state’s future.

It’s a constitutional requirement for the General Assembly to pass a balanced budget by May.

Over the past few years, lawmakers have approved income tax cuts, and counties can now freeze property taxes for seniors. These cuts are causing concern for some.

Earlier this year, Gov. Mike Parson signed off on the largest budget in state history, which included nearly $3 billion to expand Interstate 70 to three lanes across the state.

“I argue if you can put the taxes back into the taxpayer’s pocket, they are going to spend the money,” said [state house speaker] Plocher. “They are going to be able to afford those necessary items, food, shelter, cars, things like that, that just go back into the economy and employ more Missourians.”

But they are not going to be able to expand interstate 70.
Well strangely, that's why there are a few people on the left who are big fans of wealth transfers. Take money away from billionaires and give it to thousandaires that are going to spend that money IMMEDIATELY in their community.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like what's happening in California on a lesser scale

Why do these politicians do not trim their budgets when they know their revenue is declining is beyond me.

• Agree
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Sounds like what's happening in California on a lesser scale

Why do these politicians do not trim their budgets when they know their revenue is declining is beyond me.
"lesser scale"? I'd LOVE to see a per capita comparison to keep things, logical and rational.

California has the 5th largest economy in the world. I understand the compunction then poop on them but I gotta tell you, they're doing SOMETHING right.

I'd be MORE curious why they wouldn't increase tax rates. I've "heard" there's a few millionaire actors and such who love helping the working class.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0