Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I lived in Senatobia for about a year when I was a kid. I think it's near Grenada and maybe Strayhorn. It's in Tate county if I'm remembering right! My dad and I used to fish at Sardis Dam. I miss living there! I really haven't had that "small town" feeling since. : (

Upvote 0

mamabear4

Lily of the Valley and Rose of Sharon lover
Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My parents moved from Indiana to Macon, Mississippi when I was three years old. That was in 1959, so do your math and you'll see that's been a long time ago and I am about half way to 100 years old already. ;) I've lived in Macon ever since; learned how to read in the Macon Elementary School, learned how to drive on Noxubee County roads, signed a marriage license with PapaBear (in 1976) in the Noxubee County courthouse, and reared four children with him right here in Noxubee County. For most of this time I've longed to see other places, to learn other cultures, to live anywhere but in Noxubee County. But do you know what? I don't expect to ever leave Noxubee County because it is my home. It is the culture I know. It's in my very blood. I am a Mississippian. It is where I belong and where I plan to stay. Now - if you've read through that entire exposition on my life, let me ask you a question. With so many Mississippians in this forum, how's come there ain't no Mississippi icon to put on our customized pages? We need to get our heads together and do something about it. :mad:

Reactions: Rochir
Upvote 0

Brother_Joey_Gowdy

Single and Looking for a Proverbs 31 Wife
Jan 31, 2002
Visit site
✟16,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mamabear4 said:
It's in my very blood. I am a Mississippian. It is where I belong and where I plan to stay. Now - if you've read through that entire exposition on my life, let me ask you a question. With so many Mississippians in this forum, how's come there ain't no Mississippi icon to put on our customized pages? We need to get our heads together and do something about it. :mad:

AMEN !!!

It's in the BLOOD... no doubt about that... Praise God !

AMEN !!!

Ive been on these forums for quite some time... and was even a moderator... I agree... we need a Mississippi Icon.

How about a Rebel flag and a Christian Cross and dove or maybe a KJV Bible ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mamabear4

Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Brother_Joey_Gowdy said:
AMEN !!!

It's in the BLOOD... no doubt about that... Praise God !

AMEN !!!

Ive been on these forums for quite some time... and was even a moderator... I agree... we need a Mississippi Icon.

How about a Rebel flag and a Christian Cross and dove or maybe a KJV Bible ?

Amen for Brother Joey!

I like all of those ideas - the Rebel flag, a Christian crss, a dove and a KJV Bible. How about using the Mississippi flag instead of the Rebel and then choose one of the other symbols on top of it? Or how about the mockingbird or magnolia flower? Same old, same old? Then let's use the Mississippi State bully, howboutdemdawgs? ;) I hear Ole Miss screaming about that already. :D

Upvote 0

mamabear4

Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When our children were young we took them to Jackson every year for a sort of mini-vacation. We'd go to the zoo, the planetarium, the art museum and of course, Toys R Us. We had this joke that Jackson takes your mufflers off because it seemed so often when we were in Jackson we'd drive through a low or rough spot in a driveway or street and scrape our muffler off. Then for the rest of the day we felt like true red-necks. But we had a very low '79 Dodge Aspen station wagon that was so low we couldn't even straddle a turtle without killing it. We also had this joke about smashing horse apples in the old Dodge and giving the supervisors a break from grading the dirt roads because our car would do the job for them.

But back to Jackson. When our daughter had cancer she got her treatments there at the Children's Cancer Clinic in Jackson during the first year (the second year we went to UAB in Birmingham) and we stayed at the Ronald McDonald House for entire weeks at a time. Whenever we could we'd go out and explore the city, often ending up in some residential area, and sometimes that was a tad scary. ha. Don't blame you for moving out to Brandon. Nice place there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mamabear4

Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I got this in an email this morning and I thought, 'Duh. Doesn't everyone know these things?'

1. You can properly pronounce Neshoba, Chata, Nanih Waiya, Shuqualak, DeKalb, Kosciusko, Decatur, Yazoo, Pascagoula, Picayune, and Scooba.
2. You think people who complain about the wind in their states are
sissies.
3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
4. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
5. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
6. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.
7. Stores don't have bags, they have sacks.
8. You've seen people wear bib overalls at funerals.
9. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
10. You measure distance in minutes.
11. It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.
12. Little Smokies are something you serve only for special occasions.

13. You go to the lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.
14. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
15. You know cowpies are not made of beef.
16. Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.
17. You have known someone who has a belt buckle bigger than your fist.

18. A bad traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first.
19. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.
20. Your "place at the lake" has wheels under it.
21. A Mercedes Benz isn't a status symbol. A Chevy Silverado Extended Bed Crew Cab is.
22. You know everything goes better with 'Ranch'.
23. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
24. You actually get these jokes and are "fixin' " to send them to your friends.
Finally, you are 100% Mississippian if you have ever heard or had this conversation:
"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
mamabear4 said:
I got this in an email this morning and I thought, 'Duh. Doesn't everyone know these things?'

1. You can properly pronounce Neshoba, Chata, Nanih Waiya, Shuqualak, DeKalb, Kosciusko, Decatur, Yazoo, Pascagoula, Picayune, and Scooba.
2. You think people who complain about the wind in their states are
sissies.
3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
4. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
5. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
6. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.
7. Stores don't have bags, they have sacks.
8. You've seen people wear bib overalls at funerals.
9. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
10. You measure distance in minutes.
11. It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.
12. Little Smokies are something you serve only for special occasions.

13. You go to the lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.
14. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
15. You know cowpies are not made of beef.
16. Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.
17. You have known someone who has a belt buckle bigger than your fist.

18. A bad traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first.
19. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.
20. Your "place at the lake" has wheels under it.
21. A Mercedes Benz isn't a status symbol. A Chevy Silverado Extended Bed Crew Cab is.
22. You know everything goes better with 'Ranch'.
23. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
24. You actually get these jokes and are "fixin' " to send them to your friends.
Finally, you are 100% Mississippian if you have ever heard or had this conversation:
"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?

25. A tick is indistinguishable from a freckle.
26. Chiggers can be kept as pets.
27. Anyone that lives North of you is considered a "Yankee."
28. The Dukes of Hazzard was the best tv show. Ever.
29. You know how to spell Mississippi...the long way. If you have to ask...you ain't been to Mississippi!
30. Chewing tobacco is a food group.

Yes, I just made those up!

Upvote 0

mamabear4

Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WalksWithChrist said:
25. A tick is indistinguishable from a freckle.
26. Chiggers can be kept as pets.
27. Anyone that lives North of you is considered a "Yankee."
28. The Dukes of Hazzard was the best tv show. Ever.
29. You know how to spell Mississippi...the long way. If you have to ask...you ain't been to Mississippi!
30. Chewing tobacco is a food group.

Yes, I just made those up!

I'd like to give a suggestion for #29.

We know how to spell Missippi the long way. If you have to ask you ain't been to Missippi. ;) ha.

Upvote 0