✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1523PS.pdf

This time, there's no legal waffling about it.

(1) The state government shall not take any discriminatory action against a religious organization wholly or partially on the basis that such organization: [...] (b) Makes any employment-related decision, including but not limited to, the decision whether or not to hire, terminate or discipline an individual whose conduct or religious beliefs are inconsistent with those of the religious organization, based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction described in Section 2 of this act; or (c) Makes any decision concerning the sale, rental, occupancy of, or terms and conditions of occupying a dwelling or other housing under its control, based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction described in Section 2 of this act.​

If this doesn't sound bad to you, it's probably because you don't realize that qualifying as a "religious organization" is trivially easy - Hobby Lobby qualified, and the only regulations on this within the law are as stated:

(4) "Religious organization" means: (a) A house of worship, including, but not limited to, churches, synagogues, shrines, mosques and temples; (b) A religious group, corporation, association, school or educational institution, ministry, order, society or similar entity, regardless of whether it is integrated or affiliated with a church or other house of worship; and (c) An officer, owner, employee, manager, religious leader, clergy or minister of an entity or organization described in this subsection (4).​

So what does it take to qualify as a "religious group"? As far as I can tell, nothing more than the owner of the company saying, "I am religious". And while this is shameful, it's also fairly standard stuff. No, the really nasty stuff is what's different: provisions protecting parents who subject their children to abusive ex-gay therapies, provisions protecting doctors who refuse to apply the current standard of care to their transgendered patients, and more.

To quote Human Rights Campaign:

Tax-payer funded faith-based organizations could: refuse to recognize the marriages of same-sex couples for provision of critical services including emergency shelter; deny children in need of loving homes placement with LGBT families including the child’s own family member; and refuse to sell or rent a for-profit home to an LGBT person -- even if the organization receives government funding. As introduced, H.B. 1523 would also give foster families the freedom to subject an LGBTQ child to the dangerous practice of “conversion therapy,” and subject a pregnant unwed girl to abuse, without fear of government intervention or license suspension. It would even allow individuals to refuse to carry out the terms of a state contract for the provision of counseling services to all eligible individuals, including veterans, based on the counselor's beliefs about LGBT people or single mothers.

Furthermore, schools, employers and service providers could implement sex-specific dress and grooming standards, as well as refuse transgender people access to the appropriate sex-segregated facilities, consistent with their gender identity -- all in conflict with the United States Department of Justice’s enforcement of federal law. H.B. 1523 even legalizes Kim Davis-style discrimination by allowing government employees to abdicate their duties and refuse to license or solemnize marriages for LGBT people.

But I'm sure the analogue in Georgia is not about discrimination either.

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
So where are our cooperate overloads threatening to boycot?
I'm not aware that Mississippi has much in terms of the film or tech industry. Or much of anything - their economy is kind of crap. Hard to threaten to leave a state when you're not really there to begin with. :D

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'm not aware that Mississippi has much in terms of the film or tech industry. Or much of anything - their economy is kind of crap. Hard to threaten to leave a state when you're not really there to begin with. :D
How long do you think that this will end up in SC?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All the people worried about Sharia Law being passed in the US, but not worried about being able to use their religion to treat others like second class citizens.

There is a disconnect there I think.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If large corporations boycotted Mississippi, would anybody notice?:scratch:
Boycotting is not the answer, since both sides can do this. The bottom nline is you can't continually force others to do or say something unless you stay there. Corporations are fed by money and if enough pressure is given, they will fold.
We need an amendment to the constitution that can't become a political football for the parties involved. If we don't get that, every four years we will find ourselves returning to this, without results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but it's the side that has the money that tends to be successful.
No. The side that has the revenue has the power. Banks have money money but having it set there isn't quite as profitable is using it.
the power of public is not in its wealth but it's voice. You get enough fence sitters irritated about activism and they tend to support the opposition. Remember what happened at Chick Fillet?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

(1) The state government shall not take any discriminatory action against a religious organization wholly or partially on the basis that such organization: [...] (b) Makes any employment-related decision, including but not limited to, the decision whether or not to hire, terminate or discipline an individual whose conduct or religious beliefs are inconsistent with those of the religious organization, based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction described in Section 2 of this act; or (c) Makes any decision concerning the sale, rental, occupancy of, or terms and conditions of occupying a dwelling or other housing under its control, based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction described in Section 2 of this act.​

If this doesn't sound bad to you, it's probably because you don't realize that qualifying as a "religious organization" is trivially easy - Hobby Lobby qualified, and the only regulations on this within the law are as stated:

(4) "Religious organization" means: (a) A house of worship, including, but not limited to, churches, synagogues, shrines, mosques and temples; (b) A religious group, corporation, association, school or educational institution, ministry, order, society or similar entity, regardless of whether it is integrated or affiliated with a church or other house of worship; and (c) An officer, owner, employee, manager, religious leader, clergy or minister of an entity or organization described in this subsection (4).​

So what does it take to qualify as a "religious group"? As far as I can tell, nothing more than the owner of the company saying, "I am religious". And while this is shameful, it's also fairly standard stuff. No, the really nasty stuff is what's different: provisions protecting parents who subject their children to abusive ex-gay therapies, provisions protecting doctors who refuse to apply the current standard of care to their transgendered patients, and more.

Tax-payer funded faith-based organizations could: refuse to recognize the marriages of same-sex couples for provision of critical services including emergency shelter; deny children in need of loving homes placement with LGBT families including the child’s own family member; and refuse to sell or rent a for-profit home to an LGBT person -- even if the organization receives government funding. As introduced, H.B. 1523 would also give foster families the freedom to subject an LGBTQ child to the dangerous practice of “conversion therapy,” and subject a pregnant unwed girl to abuse, without fear of government intervention or license suspension. It would even allow individuals to refuse to carry out the terms of a state contract for the provision of counseling services to all eligible individuals, including veterans, based on the counselor's beliefs about LGBT people or single mothers.

Furthermore, schools, employers and service providers could implement sex-specific dress and grooming standards, as well as refuse transgender people access to the appropriate sex-segregated facilities, consistent with their gender identity -- all in conflict with the United States Department of Justice’s enforcement of federal law. H.B. 1523 even legalizes Kim Davis-style discrimination by allowing government employees to abdicate their duties and refuse to license or solemnize marriages for LGBT people.

Here were not taking about cakes. We are talking about the right to deny to eat to humanists and homosexuals, and anyone else that offends our personal sensibilities.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

This is a clear violation of the Housing section of the federal Civil Rights Act.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Would Mississippi care. How many in that state support this. I heard somewhere that the state of the Educational level in that state was a direct result of institutionalized racism. How long was it after the Civil war did the blacks there actually become free? 1865 as opposed to 1965.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JusticeIsBlind

Mar 31, 2016
Miami
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At least you have to give Mississippi credit for not bothering with pretending. And honestly, I would like this case to make it to the current SOCTUS. Worst case scenerio is that the law stands, but without precedental value.

Sounds unconstitutional. I too would like to see a SCOTUS ruling on this.

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All the people worried about Sharia Law being passed in the US, but not worried about being able to use their religion to treat others like second class citizens.

There is a disconnect there I think.
Thank you! This is my default first thought any time I see anyone banging on about sharia law.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you! This is my default first thought any time I see anyone banging on about sharia law.

My default first thought is usually, "they're jealous."

Upvote 0