up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Another unfortunate incident that would not have happened save for failure to co-operate and an attempt to leave the scene to escape outstanding warrants, but of course that is never considered. I guess they should have let him go until the next traffic stop for an unregistered vehicle. Condolences to the family who suffer from mistakes made by both parties.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The video might change your mind about intent.
I' ve only seen it once. But how in the world does an experienced veteran of the force accidently draw their service weapon instead of a taser when going to shoot somebody? Come on.

If I were the DA I'd definitely pursue (involuntary) manslaughter

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I' ve only seen it once. But how in the world does an experienced veteran of the force accidently draw their service weapon instead of a taser when going to shoot somebody? Come on.
Everyone is capable of making mistakes in a stressful situation. Will feminists arise if this is made a woman thing? There was however no intent other than to subdue. But again, none of it would have happened if compliance was followed. Nothing in the constitution about leave me alone, I'm going home as a right. There has NEVER been a time in the world where people lived free of authourity.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone is capable of making mistakes in a stressful situation. Will feminists arise if this is made a woman thing? There was however no intent other than to subdue. But again, none of it would have happened if compliance was followed. Nothing in the constitution about leave me alone, I'm going home as a right. There has NEVER been a time in the world where people lived free of authourity.
People are capable of making mistakes in stressful situations, true. But there needs to be consequences when it comes to taking innocent life. There needs to be serious overhauls to police departments. Too many cops are trigger happy and pulling triggers when its completely unwarranted.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There needs to be serious overhauls to police departments. Too many cops are trigger happy and pulling triggers when its completely unwarranted.
I agree but that is what happens with the wild west mentality , both with cops and outlaws such as this. There also needs to be a serious overhaul of the attitude of the criminal element also. This is their consequence and no innocence here either.

Who found it necessary to be more protective of self first, the criminals over the decades or the police? Who had to become more aggressive as a result? Oh those poor white entitled gangsters of old in the early 20th century who got shot as a result of their shootings .
Escalation on both sides is a natural result, but one side shoots both cops and their own,.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that the officer was genuinely horrified when she realized she shot a gun instead of a taser. She screwed up. She should suffer a serious consequence for screwing up that badly, but I would leave that up to the police force. Fire her, demote her, whatever. Of course, that won't be enough for the rioters, who want to see her face criminal charges, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen with an accidental shooting that lacks a callous or malicious attitude.

Hopefully the crowds will realize that she isn't another Chauvin, and cool off a bit.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Comply or die?
It’s got a ring to it, I’ll give ya that...buuut, nope can’t go along with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that the officer was genuinely horrified when she realized she shot a gun instead of a taser. She screwed up. She should suffer a serious consequence for screwing up that badly, but I would leave that up to the police force. Fire her, demote her, whatever. Of course, that won't be enough for the rioters, who want to see her face criminal charges, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen with an accidental shooting that lacks a callous or malicious attitude.

Hopefully the crowds will realize that she isn't another Chauvin, and cool off a bit.

The officer made a grievous mistake and many will suffer because of it.

It would be great if we routinely held actual bad actors responsible for their actions so there would be trust instead of rioting.

The idea that you can pull what you think is a tazer and have it be a gun is horrifying so there is more than one good reason to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen so much. This sort of thing has been a problem in the past so many departments issue tazers that amazingly easy to tell from guns.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The idea that you can pull what you think is a tazer and have it be a gun is horrifying so there is more than one good reason to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen so much.
Aren’t tasers like “color coded”?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this the same case where it was supposed to be a senior female officer involved who did the shooting?

Yeah, I don't buy it.
There's body cam footage of it. In it she sure as heck gives the impression that she meant to taze him.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like he managed to escape the handcuffs and then lunged into the car for something...
Looks like he lunged in to drive away. Stupid thing to do for a misdemeanor warrant, especially when you don't have (AFAIK) anything illicit in the car. That doesn't justify shooting him of course.
I also wonder why the cop was unable to cuff him properly.
I wondered that myself. It didn't look like he was moving that much when the cuffs were out. But looks can be deceiving.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like he lunged in to drive away. Stupid thing to do for a misdemeanor warrant

True. He probably would have been released by the next morning.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
He should have complied with the officers, but notice how many people are talking about his conduct. Where is all the talk of him being unarmed like the terrorist shot during the Capitol riot where threats of violence were apparent and imminent? Now I see people talking about the "criminal element", for a misdemeanor? This officer should be fired and punished for taking an innocent life, he should have not run, but pulling a gun instead of your taser is not acceptable for a police officer. She should get the Robert Bates treatment and serve time for manslaughter.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status