United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milo Yiannopoulos resigns from Breitbart amid child sex comments

It would appear his day in the sun is over for the time being...(although, I hear another publisher has stepped in and wants to do his book after the other publisher backed out)

However, after reviewing what the media outlets are saying, and reviewing the actual transcripts of the comments in question, I think this is a blatant case of intentionally cherry picking comments and taking them out of context to tell a story that simply isn't there.

It seems like the left wing media was far too eager to employ the same tactic that the right wing was using when they did all of the "Look, here's Hillary bragging about defending a rapist in court!" nonsense during the election. Which is, grab a quick snippet that looks bad if you don't have context, and act as if that's the whole story.

I'm not one for posting too many memes, however, I'm beginning to think this one might just be accurate based on what I'm seeing from left leaning outlets and social media over the last few months in regards to Milo.

upload_2017-2-22_18-11-2.png

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wasn't he the victim? And just trying to use jokes to make himself feel better about what happened? That's what I read elsewhere.

Yeah, he was referring to two different things, he was referring to the time he was abused by a priest...

And then the second remark was a "coming of age" remark in which he spoke about a relationship that he had with a man who was in his 20's when he, himself, was 17.
(and I guess that's the one that's drawing all of the heat...even though the age of consent where he was at was 16).

He was speaking fondly of his relationship with someone who was a little older because, in his words, it gave him the support system that he wasn't getting from his family.

That's been twisted into "Milo thinks that pedophilia is a-ok!"...which, when you look at the entirety of what he said, we know isn't the case. In fact, he's actually gone after a number of child abusers.

It's almost as if the far-left gets frustrated when they can't fall back on their usual "racist homophobe" talking points to describe conservatives, and just goes off the rails. They talk about how dumb Milo is, yet thus far, their only action against him has been twisting his words around (on this occasion and many others), and lighting trash bins on fire to prevent him from even showing up.

As controversial as he is, and as clueless as they claim he is, you'd think they would've been able to shut him down in a straight-up intellectual manner. Thus far, the only notable left-wing personality that's even attempted to engage him on that level is Bill Maher, and Joe Rogan (who's more of a left-wing/libertarian blend)

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are plenty of good reasons not to be into this guy's clown persona.

Just like there are plenty of good reasons not to like [fill in the blank popular figure] that people often skip in favor of cherry-picked silliness. I think maybe it's because the ones they like often have the same actual faults as they ones they don't like.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not going to shed any tears for him, but it is a bit ironic that those who embraced him for being outrageous have turned on him so quickly and it's almost as if he didn't realize that was the nature of his audience. For that I do feel a bit of sympathy for him.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Better tell CPAC and Breitbart to stop falling for that leftist propaganda.

Given CPAC's propensity for siding with the religious right, there's no doubt that they never really had any real love or respect for the guy to begin with...he was just a "token gay guy" for them to trot out when convenient so they can say "look we're not anti-gay, we have Milo"...so there's no doubt that most of their support base didn't like him to begin with. He's even said in public interviews that he's had just as many physical & death threats from the far-right as he has from the far-left.

As far as Breitbart goes, he left that organization on his own terms.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For that I do feel a bit of sympathy for him.

I don't know if I'd go as far as feeling sympathy for him...aside from the stuff about him being abused by a priest...but as far as his career, he knew the risks of the edgy material he was doing. Plus, he's already got plans in the hopper to start up his own online media outlet (I'm sure he'll find some financial backers), and another publisher already approached him about doing his book for almost the same amount that he was going to get from S&S so he'll be fine as far as $$$ goes.

I'm more concerned about the fact that I'm seeing members of the progressive crowd going down the same hole as many in the GOP crowd went down. This smear journalism by the left wing outlets is almost identical to what we saw when the right wing outlets were releasing the cherry picked soundbytes, out of context, that were trying to imply that Hillary was bragging about getting a rapist off the hook.

We can't have both sides eating up manufactured propaganda... When CNN, ABC, and PBS lower themselves to the level of FOX...that's not good for anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
He did none of that.

I agree. Having known quite a few gay people, a few of them did have things like whatt Milo is talking about happen to them, it's hard for the unwashed masses to understand (BTW, I watched a bio of George Takei and he admitted his first sexual experience was with an adult counsellor at a summer camp as a teenager... why is it OK for him to talk about that, but not Milo?). Yeah, our society doesn't condone it, in fact it makes some people homicidally angry and disgusted... but it does happen. It doesn't make somebody a monster for talking about it openly and saying something that is not exactly politically correct, especially when it comes from a place of vulnerability and lapsed judgment.

One thing the LGBT community is good about is not dehumanizing people because of their sexual vulnerability (remember what happened to Bill Clinton during the Lewinsky scandal?). Gays do a better job protecting human dignity in this area than many Christians. One reason I think more Christians need to really try to understand this community, even learn from them.

Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I thought employees at Breitbart threatened to quit if Milo wasn't fired or didn't resign. I don't usually read the Blaze which I think is conservative, but I saw this on Twitter a couple of days ago:
Breitbart News employees revolt, reportedly threaten to quit unless Milo Yiannopoulos is fired

I wouldn't doubt it. There are things Milo said that made me cringe; but he's an engaging speaker and his snark factor is 10, so I had a love/ick relationship with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I wouldn't doubt it. There are things Milo said that made me cringe; but he's an engaging speaker and his snark factor is 10, so I had a love/ick relationship with him.

Pretty much mine as well. Cringe factor went up when he went all-in (phrasing) for Trump, but I suppose I didn't really expect anything less from him given his takes on things.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

I need to understand something:
I hate the term "reverse racism" because racism is racism.

I don't think I understand why one couldn't give Milo the label of "racist" SIMPLY Because he's a jewish gay conservative?
Asians can be racist; black people can be racist. These are things I've heard from people decrying pleas of racism from minority groups.
And they are right.

But what I don't get is how a gay jewish conservative CAN'T be a racist? Can I get a little help there?
I'm not even going to argue whether he SAID something racist. I'm just taking exception to the idea in the meme that he couldn't be called racist.

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I don't think I understand why one couldn't give Milo the label of "racist" SIMPLY Because he's a jewish gay conservative?
Asians can be racist; black people can be racist. These are things I've heard from people decrying pleas of racism from minority groups.
And they are right.

But what I don't get is how a gay jewish conservative CAN'T be a racist? Can I get a little help there?
I'm not even going to argue whether he SAID something racist. I'm just taking exception to the idea in the meme that he couldn't be called racist.
It kind of worked for him because the progressive left defined racism in such a way that only white people could really be racists. Combine that with the "straight white male" thing that gets thrown around as a way to dismiss people, and it becomes difficult to make the charge of racism stick to a gay Jewish man who constantly talks about how much he loves having sex with black men.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

And they are right.

He could not be called racist Not because He was a jewish gay concervative.. But because He has Black boyfriends .. It is hard to tag someone white with the racist tag if they are having relationships with people who are black...

Upvote 0