Millennial generation

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Do you think that there's a theological significance to the Millennial generation?
It seems that the generation
  1. Is wistful in their arts and musical thinking (see Wintergatan)
  2. Not very religions (see your neighbours and children, or yourself)
  3. Fairly kind and caring about the environment and one another
  4. A little inclined to moral pomposity when debating with their Boomer grandparents.
  5. Not entirely inclined to be obedient to parents but also not given to some of the excesses of their predecessors.
The list I've given is my own observations based, it is not bad and not unremittingly good.
Is this a sign of the times?

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,575.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many in this generation grew up with little parenting, a great deal of television, and a heavy reliance on peers for direction, affirmation, and support. They have been shaped differently and we need to respond appropriately as we owe them a little respect, as they have managed to bring themselves up.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think that there's a theological significance to the Millennial generation?
It seems that the generation
  1. Is wistful in their arts and musical thinking (see Wintergatan)
  2. Not very religions (see your neighbours and children, or yourself)
  3. Fairly kind and caring about the environment and one another
  4. A little inclined to moral pomposity when debating with their Boomer grandparents.
  5. Not entirely inclined to be obedient to parents but also not given to some of the excesses of their predecessors.
The list I've given is my own observations based, it is not bad and not unremittingly good.
Is this a sign of the times?

All the evidence seems to be that Millenials and Gen Z are even more narcissistic than the Boomers, at least in the American context.

Moral pomposity is part of the narcissism. Nor is real kindness a particular virtue of the younger generation.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Many in this generation grew up with little parenting, a great deal of television, and a heavy reliance on peers for direction, affirmation, and support. They have been shaped differently and we need to respond appropriately as we owe them a little respect, as they have managed to bring themselves up.

The very little parenting is indeed pertinent. Younger people have been given far less moral guidance than past generations. Indeed, many of their parents raised them with the notion that authoritative parenting was actually a bad thing, and the results have been children that are more fearful and listless than past generations, but at the same time, tend to reject external moral guidance as "authoritarian". Many are openly nihilistic and depression is common.

What's missing from their lives frankly is real love that allows them to grow as persons. They've been raised with the pittiless sloganeering and moralisms of markets and crowds, and their parents have been relatively disengaged, either permissive or neglectful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟676,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we all have a tendency to think our generation is the best. Depending on what "yard stick" is used, arguments can be made to bolster any claim to superiority. I think all of the points in the OP could have been made by the generation that raised the Boomers. (Greatest Generation?) In fact the Boomer generation (60's) was much more radical than the Millennial generation in almost every way.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
All the evidence seems to be that Millenials and Gen Z are even more narcissistic than the Boomers, at least in the American context.
Boomers are rather selfish, not too community oriented, given to some immoral excesses especially regarding sex. All of this is in comparison to the "great generation" who fought in WW II. The development of technology is part of the explanation for boomer vs great generation changes. The pill, invented in the 1960s, made sex safe. Automatic washing machines, and a host of other automatic things freed up time. Women started working in greater numbers and sought careers. And political egalitarianism, brought into existence following WW II, a creation of the great generation along with a lot of the mechanics of social safety nets and other things, that were objectively good, made boomers feel safe and cared for and a bit irresponsible as a result. Funny how good things can have unintended side effects arising from the fundamental corruption in human nature.

So GenX, the millennials, and GenZ have inherited increasing technological and social changes, things like computers (GenX), social media (millennials), pervasive use of smart phones (GenZ) are all causing significant social changes. And I agree narcissism is increasing, but so is tolerance and empathy for minorities. It's a mixed bag.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Boomers are rather selfish, not too community oriented, given to some immoral excesses especially regarding sex. All of this is in comparison to the "great generation" who fought in WW II. The development of technology is part of the explanation for boomer vs great generation changes. The pill, invented in the 1960s, made sex safe. Automatic washing machines, and a host of other automatic things freed up time. Women started working in greater numbers and sought careers. And political egalitarianism, brought into existence following WW II, a creation of the great generation along with a lot of the mechanics of social safety nets and other things, that were objectively good, made boomers feel safe and cared for and a bit irresponsible as a result. Funny how good things can have unintended side effects arising from the fundamental corruption in human nature.

So GenX, the millennials, and GenZ have inherited increasing technological and social changes, things like computers (GenX), social media (millennials), pervasive use of smart phones (GenZ) are all causing significant social changes. And I agree narcissism is increasing, but so is tolerance and empathy for minorities. It's a mixed bag.

I disagree. Don't confuse politics with real empathy. Actual empathy, as measured by standard psychological testing tools, is decreasing.

Secularization might have something to do with this. One of the most famous parables of Jesus, the Good Samaritan, is a story about compassion. The Boomers started the trend of leaving socially responsible religion behind in the 1970's, but Millenials and Gen Z increasingly leave behind religion altogether (a local pastor I talked to today said that 70 percent of Gen Z are unchurched).

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. Don't confuse politics with real empathy. Actual empathy, as measured by standard psychological testing tools, is decreasing.

Secularization might have something to do with this. One of the most famous parables of Jesus, the Good Samaritan, is a story about compassion. The Boomers started the trend of leaving socially responsible religion behind in the 1970's, but Millenials and Gen Z increasingly leave behind religion altogether (a local pastor I talked to today said that 70 percent of Gen Z are unchurched).
Thanks, that is interesting.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I talked to a local Lutheran pastor about problems I was having at another local Lutheran church, where people seemed to be becoming calculating and self-concerned in the face of increasing number of homeless in the area I live in. That's when the conversation turned to the subject of empathy and a decrease in people valuing kindness. What had previously been mostly theoretical and abstract, became all too obvious during the pandemic.

I think it's hard for me to explain to somebody who is very much steeped in traditional Protestant theology, but there is valuing in pursuing kindness and empathy for its own sake. At least, I really struggled in that conversation. That's one reason I've been increasingly drawn to the local Congregationalists, because it's a place where it's easier to talk about empathy and kindness as religious values, and I see people trying to live that out more in costly ways.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I talked to a local Lutheran pastor about problems I was having at another local Lutheran church, where people seemed to be becoming calculating and self-concerned in the face of increasing number of homeless in the area I live in. That's when the conversation turned to the subject of empathy and a decrease in people valuing kindness. What had previously been mostly theoretical and abstract, became all too obvious during the pandemic.

I think it's hard for me to explain to somebody who is very much steeped in traditional Protestant theology, but there is valuing in pursuing kindness and empathy for its own sake. At least, I really struggled in that conversation. That's one reason I've been increasingly drawn to the local Congregationalists, because it's a place where it's easier to talk about empathy and kindness as religious values, and I see people trying to live that out more in costly ways.
Is UCC = United Church of Christ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Is UCC = United Church of Christ?

Yes. I changed it to Congregationalists, because I realized that term might be confusing to an Australian. But UCC is the official name of the denomination.

In the US, the UCC are a liberal Reformed/Evangelical Protestant denomination with a variety of theological perspectives. I would describe my local UCC congregation as being in the Pietist tradition- dogmatic theology isn't the focus.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes. I changed it to Congregationalists, because I realized that term might be confusing to an Australian. But UCC is the official name of the denomination.

In the US, the UCC are a liberal Reformed/Evangelical Protestant denomination with a variety of theological perspectives. I would describe my local UCC congregation as being in the Pietist tradition- dogmatic theology isn't the focus.
Some Catholic monastics give attention to the matters you've raised.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Some Catholic monastics give attention to the matters you've raised.

I would think it's something all Catholics should give attention to, especially given that virtue, in Catholic soteriology, is so closely tied to justification.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would think it's something all Catholics should give attention to, especially given that virtue, in Catholic soteriology, is so closely tied to justification.
I agree, and maybe many do. I only know a few compared to the billion or more listed in the statistics.

Upvote 0