Mike Pence ‘visibly shook’ as nobody claps at his applause lines during disastrous European trip

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone can watch the video with their own eyes.
I did, that's why I talk about enjoying the expression on Vice-President Pence's face when not a single person in the audience applauded when he delivered President Trumps greetings. :wave:

This news is as fake as fake news gets.
I agree, apparently some among President Trumps supporters, this, along with any news that doesn't praise President Trump, is considered "fake news". So, anything truthful or accurate is considered "fake". So you're right: Among President Trump supporters this is considered fake, as "fake as fake news gets". ;)

I guess when someone pees on your leg and tells you it's raining, some people can actually believe it's raining if they want to believe that.
Well...as I understand it President Trump would be the expert about that sort of thing. :sorry:
tulc(will defer to President Trumps opinion in that area) :)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,263.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I did, that's why I talk about enjoying the expression on Vice-President Pence's face...
He had no expression on his face as he immediately began the body of the speech.
...when not a single person in the audience applauded when he delivered President Trumps greetings. :wave:
No one expects anyone to applaud "greetings" from someone who's not present. The person not present couldn't hear applause because they're not present.
I agree, apparently some among President Trumps supporters, this, along with any news that doesn't praise President Trump, is considered "fake news". So, anything truthful or accurate is considered "fake". So you're right: Among President Trump supporters this is considered fake, as "fake as fake news gets". ;)
No, when you lie and report the lie as if it were a news story, that's fake. Just like with Covington. You were obviously wrong on that video, tulc, and you're obviously wrong on this.
Well...as I understand it President Trump would be the expert about that sort of thing. :sorry:
tulc(will defer to President Trumps opinion in that area) :)
Yes, another good example. As Fleetwood Mac said, don't stop believing, tulc.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He had no expression on his face as he immediately began the body of the speech.
Yes he immediately began the speech...after he stood there waiting for the applause that wasn't going to happen. :)

No one expects anyone to applaud "greetings" from someone who's not present. The person not present couldn't hear applause because they're not present.
actually, pretty much whenever anyone offers greetings from a foreign head of State people tend to clap. It's sort of a diplomatic thing. That's why it's absence was so noticed here. :wave:

No, when you lie and report the lie as if it were a news story, that's fake.
Sorry? Wouldn't there have to be, you know, a lie in the story in order for it to be fake? He gave the speech, he paused for applause and it never came. He looked flummoxed. All of that is the story. And all of it happened. So the only thing that would appear to make this a "fake news" item would be "It didn't praise President Trump, so it's fake!". :wave:

Just like with Covington. You were obviously wrong on that video, tulc, and you're obviously wrong on this.
Nope, sorry. If you like to discuss the Covington video (which I suspect you have me confused with a couple of other posters in that thread) you should discuss it in that thread. In this thread? We're discussing the video in the OP, not that one. :)

Yes, another good example. As Fleetwood Mac said, don't stop believing, tulc.
I was more of an "All Saved Freak Band" guy back then, big fan of this song:
tulc(is an old Jesus Freak from the 70's) :sorry:

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Or it doesn’t matter if Pence expected applause or not. The very fact that other world leaders have so little respect for our current administration and/or so vehemently disagree with current US foreign policy that they don’t applaud is troubling.

Pence was not addressing a presidential rally of the faithful. He was addressing a meeting of equals --- they don't applaud on cue. But there actually used to be presidents and vice-presidents who earned that kind of respect.

• Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except they did applaud the same greetings from Trump here.....

I don't think CSPAN is 'fake news'. They noticed the silence so I think that it must be unusual. Their video is here.
Vice President Pence Greeting from President Trump Met with Silence at Munich Security Conference | C-SPAN.org

But I didn't see any shock either, in fact he just looked down, waited a few seconds then began speaking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,263.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Except they did applaud the same greetings from Trump here.....
That's not a greeting.

If a spokesperson for Justin Beiber were to say to a crowd of his fans, "Justin sends his greetings", a crowd of slightly deranged teenage girls might applaud and cheer. It would be weird, but not totally unexpected all things considered. But these are heads of state. So when it would be weird to applaud for a greeting, they don't applaud. Yet they do applaud at the mere mention of his name in the clip you posted. So I guess we can conclude that world leaders love Trump.
I don't think CSPAN is 'fake news'. They noticed the silence so I think that it must be unusual. Their video is here.
Vice President Pence Greeting from President Trump Met with Silence at Munich Security Conference | C-SPAN.org

But I didn't see any shock either, in fact he just looked down, waited a few seconds then began speaking.
Whether intentionally or not, CSPAN is perpetrating fake news. Pence is not doing a podcast, it's a live speech. Has CSPAN never seen a speech where it's completely normal to pause between introductory remarks and the beginning of the speech? We are seeing this over and over. Some liar posts video of the color blue, says it's red, 50 other "news outlets" repeat that it's red, and millions of fools simply swallow what they're fed without critically examining what they're seeing. We actually do have a real national emergency - people are losing the ability to think for themselves.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's your opinion, based squarely on your own anti-Trump bias. He expected that reception, I am quite sure. Why not stand silently while the antipathy is exposed? I would.
No, he didn't expect that silence. He paused for the same reason that he paused after mentioning Senator Graham. He was anticipating a response from the crowd. I can't say that he was expecting the applause which Graham received but he wasn't expecting silence or he would have just continued with his speech without the pause.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When you spend your entire life in a media bubble, it has to be shocking when you temporarily venture out of it to find that you're not as clever or well liked as you think you are.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, he didn't expect that silence. He paused for the same reason that he paused after mentioning Senator Graham. He was anticipating a response from the crowd. I can't say that he was expecting the applause which Graham received but he wasn't expecting silence or he would have just continued with his speech without the pause.
That's your speculation. Perhaps. When no response was forthcoming, he simply went on, without a hitch.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's your speculation. Perhaps. When no response was forthcoming, he simply went on, without a hitch.
I think Pence handled it well but speech writers put pauses in the speech so readers know where to pause. In situations like this meeting, those in the audience know to clap during the pauses. It was most likely planned to be silent as a sign of their protest to Trump's antics during his past European visits. If not, there would have been a smattering of applause.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think Pence handled it well but speech writers put pauses in the speech so readers know where to pause. In situations like this meeting, those in the audience know to clap during the pauses. It was most likely planned to be silent as a sign of their protest to Trump's antics during his past European visits. If not, there would have been a smattering of applause.
Perhaps. Rudeness is appalling at that level.

I would have clapped politely.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Not really. Rude would have been shouting "You lie!" at him while he was speaking. :wave:
tulc(just a thought) :)
or possibly someone throwing a shoe. :)

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps. Rudeness is appalling at that level.

I would have clapped politely.
You would have thought that some of the GOP law makers, in attendance, would have done so. For it to have been so silent at that point shows there had been a concerted effort amongst those in attendance to remain quiet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums