Mike Lindell is developing his own social media platform to replace YouTube and Twitter

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This is the after effects of the hedge funds’ short positions.

There were many more (millions of) shares shorted than were/are in circulation. People and institutions that held short positions needed to buy back the stock at ridiculously inflated prices (or declare bankruptcy, generally a “frowned-upon” thing for stock traders), to cover their positions.
As the short-squeeze eases, savvy investors will look to short it AGAIN because the company cannot maintain it’s worth, as the stock price only went up due to the original short positions.
In two years it’ll be @$8.00\sh
Unless Gamestop actually recovers its market share and makes significant changes that make it relevant in todays business sphere.

They're trying, but nobody knows if they'll succeed.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If intentionally used ironically it is a reasonable signal for responding to irony.
Much like a Christian would offer proof of anything. (Kid-ing)
So a religious “bless your heart”?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Unless Gamestop actually recovers its market share and makes significant changes that make it relevant in todays business sphere.

They're trying, but nobody knows if they'll succeed.
Gee, what’s the revenue outlook for a company whose business model relies on face-to-face interaction with it’s customers (who are also the company’s wholesalers), just after a great plague has forced these folk to sit for hours on end playing console games?

If they’re still around by, say, Christmas 2021, they’ll be able to ride out the dearth of business caused by people going out and living again.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Gee, what’s the revenue outlook for a company whose business model relies on face-to-face interaction with it’s customers (who are also the company’s wholesalers), just after a great plague has forced these folk to sit for hours on end playing console games?

If they’re still around by, say, Christmas 2021, they’ll be able to ride out the dearth of business caused by people going out and living again.
The main problem for gamestop is that video game retail is shifting even harder towards online than most other venues. But they're trying to expand in that direction.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The main problem for gamestop is that video game retail is shifting even harder towards online than most other venues. But they're trying to expand in that direction.
Maybe one of the Giant Streaming services will buy/finance them to diversify their own portfolio?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Maybe one of the Giant Streaming services will buy/finance them to diversify their own portfolio?
I think this is too off-topic.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When the alt-right talks about free speech, they mean "free from objections".
then why does the alt-right object to what the left has to say?

one issue with free speech is for it to be truly free all platforms, even anti-free speech, censorship and hate speech, has as much right to a voice as any other. Free speech doesn't discriminate the message, even if the message itself is discriminatory.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
then why does the alt-right object to what the left has to say?

one issue with free speech is for it to be truly free all platforms, even anti-free speech, censorship and hate speech, has as much right to a voice as any other. Free speech doesn't discriminate the message, even if the message itself is discriminatory.
That's what I just said. They don't want free speech. They want to be free from dissenting speech.

Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,976.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I used to ascribe to the dictum: "The best counter to bad ideas is good ideas".

This was based on an (unwarranted) assumption that people are open minded and rational enough to look at the options, weigh them against each other and then come to a considered opinion. Unfortunately, for a large (and apparently increasing) section of the population, this is not the case. Case in point - believers in trickle down economics, Objectivism and economic nationalism.

So, then I moved onto the dictum: "Bad ideas exist to be destroyed"

This was based on an (unwarranted) assumption that if you showed people why the ideas they believed in were bad, and hammered this point into them enough, they'd jettison their bad ideas. Unfortunately, when shown that their ideas are bad, there is a strong psychological drive to double down on the same idea because of the evidence against it. See also, flat earthers, creationists, Scientologists, and anti-vaxxers.

Now I (reluctantly) believe that some ideas are inherently harmful, and like a fire should be denied oxygen to prevent spreading.

This is because the way we consume information has become a series of self-selected and algorithmically-generated silos. People are no longer seeing opposing view points, unless its someone on their 'side' (whatever that may be) dismantling/debunking/ridiculing someone on the other 'side (whatever that may be).

In this new world, people are no longer exposed to good ideas to counter the bad ones. People are no longer exposed to rigorous critiques of whatever heinous notion they ascribe to. Instead, they are able to consume a diet of content that is tailored right into their comfort zone - opposing voices are drowned out (except when one of the pack becomes weak/sick/feeble enough to warrant a pack feeding frenzy) and biases are met by voices increasingly in lockstep.

And yes, the reason that I'm on this website is so that I hear voices that are in opposition to my own ideas (and no, that wasn't the reason that I originally came here).

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's what I just said. They don't want free speech. They want to be free from dissenting speech.
If Lindell (or the alt-right) wants a platform for unchallenged speech I fail to see how this platform will keep the voices out that they don't want to hear without censorship. It feels like a broken model. I like to know what message he wants to be heard that twitter or YouTube would otherwise not allow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,587.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If Lindell (or the alt-right) wants a platform for unchallenged speech I fail to see how this platform will keep the voices out that they don't want to hear without censorship. It feels like a broken model. I like to know what message he wants to be heard that twitter or YouTube would otherwise not allow.
They don't need to censor those unwanted voices. The hostility will keep out most people, and anyone still left will be ignored as a "troll", "government shill" or "chinese bot" and thus further increase group cohesion.

The alt-right has turned selective perception into an art form.

They just need a place where they can spew their ignorance and hate.

Upvote 0

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟270,330.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Probably this:
vaccinebad.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟270,330.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But don't tell Trump!!!

President Trump today said I hope everyone remembers when they're getting the COVID-19 vaccine, that if I wasn't president, you wouldn't be getting that beautiful shot for five years at best and probably wouldn't be getting it at all.

vaccinegood.jpg

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I used to ascribe to the dictum: "The best counter to bad ideas is good ideas".

This was based on an (unwarranted) assumption that people are open minded and rational enough to look at the options, weigh them against each other and then come to a considered opinion. Unfortunately, for a large (and apparently increasing) section of the population, this is not the case. Case in point - believers in trickle down economics, Objectivism and economic nationalism.

So, then I moved onto the dictum: "Bad ideas exist to be destroyed"

This was based on an (unwarranted) assumption that if you showed people why the ideas they believed in were bad, and hammered this point into them enough, they'd jettison their bad ideas. Unfortunately, when shown that their ideas are bad, there is a strong psychological drive to double down on the same idea because of the evidence against it. See also, flat earthers, creationists, Scientologists, and anti-vaxxers.

Now I (reluctantly) believe that some ideas are inherently harmful, and like a fire should be denied oxygen to prevent spreading.

This is because the way we consume information has become a series of self-selected and algorithmically-generated silos. People are no longer seeing opposing view points, unless its someone on their 'side' (whatever that may be) dismantling/debunking/ridiculing someone on the other 'side (whatever that may be).

In this new world, people are no longer exposed to good ideas to counter the bad ones. People are no longer exposed to rigorous critiques of whatever heinous notion they ascribe to. Instead, they are able to consume a diet of content that is tailored right into their comfort zone - opposing voices are drowned out (except when one of the pack becomes weak/sick/feeble enough to warrant a pack feeding frenzy) and biases are met by voices increasingly in lockstep.

And yes, the reason that I'm on this website is so that I hear voices that are in opposition to my own ideas (and no, that wasn't the reason that I originally came here).
You should start a thread around this^. Just verbatim as the OP.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lindell seems be operating in an American vacuum. Does he realise people exist outside that don't care about these issues. In terms of this ambitious project that demands global appeal he seems to be targetting a niche American group.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Lindell seems be operating in an American vacuum. Does he realise people exist outside that don't care about these issues. In terms of this ambitious project that demands global appeal he seems to be targetting a niche American group.
We don't really know what Lindell is targeting.

Sure, his motivation has to do with censorship of conservatives as currently practiced by Youtube and Twitter, but he'd be foolish to stop with that. As an entrepreneur himself I'm sure he understands that offering a product with compelling advantages over existing products is essential when competing against established behemoths. Or, are we to believe that no better social media platforms could ever be developed? :scratch:

Just to offer an example of fatal weakness in existing social media platforms, Facebook is perhaps the least secure internet platform ever developed coupled with perhaps the worst customer service practices any company ever implemented. Facebook can be replaced practically overnight if a new product with compelling reasons to switch becomes available.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
As an entrepreneur himself I'm sure he understands that offering a product with compelling advantages over existing products is essential when competing against established behemoths
Does he?

As near as I can tell, his business isn't even near the top when it comes to pillow manufacturers in the USA. He's pillows are actually poorly reviewed - according to this article, only 1 in 3 customers said they would buy his pillows again.

Should My Pillow Become Your Pillow?

And the BBB had him rated at a F for customer complaints. Going off these reviews in general...

My Pillow Reviews & Complaints 2021: What's Inside Counts!

...his product seems to be average at best and at worst inferior.

If he can't get to the top of the market he started in, I don't see any reason to think he'll be able to do any better in another one. Yeah, starting a business and running it are big accomplishments, sure, but it's not like he's all that outstanding as businessman go.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And the BBB had him rated at a F for customer complaints. Going off these reviews in general...

My Pillow Reviews & Complaints 2021: What's Inside Counts!
He's explained the F before. As I recall his rating plummeted from B+ (or thereabouts) in one fell swoop on the basis of a questionable review. When the BBB wouldn't work with him, he told them to keep it at an F and he walked away from the BBB. He's worn that rating as a badge of honor ever since.
...his product seems to be average at best and at worst inferior.
Let us know when you've actually tried one of his products.
If he can't get to the top of the market he started in, I don't see any reason to think he'll be able to do any better in another one. Yeah, starting a business and running it are big accomplishments, sure, but it's not like he's all that outstanding as businessman go.
Considering that the 'left' has been consistently attacking him for years for no reason other his political views, he's done very well. A lesser business would have collapsed under the constant attacks.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics