Mike Lindell is developing his own social media platform to replace YouTube and Twitter

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I will never get over the delicious irony of people championing places like Parler as bastions of free speech...on Christianforums, a site that would likely ban them if they posted the average Parler post.
We need an irony button.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem is that Mike and all those other 'alternatives' are handicapping themselves. They're trying to appeal to a relatively small audience - conservatives in America.
Yep, when your maximum possible market share is in the range of 70-150 million (compared to multiple billion for other social networks), you're shooting yourself in the foot out of the gate. Then there's the issue of too many competitors fighting over that small market share. Parler, Rumble, Mike Lindell's new thing, and I feel like there's another 2-3 that I'm forgetting and/or haven't heard of, are all trying to grab that relatively small audience, and none has been particularly successful, so they've all got a small chunk of the proportion of their potential audience who has any interest in social media AND is willing to switch off their preferred platforms. That's not a recipe for profit.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Check again lol
I hadn't looked for an hour or so. GME is making a really interesting chart today. Up around $350, down around $200 and now back up some to about $250. We'll see where it all settles out. Regardless, the overall trajectory of Gamestop stock over the past few months has been steadily up.

Against the odds, I might add. (just to bring the matter back to Lindell's chances)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
upload_2021-3-10_13-26-45.png

And from those humble beginnings, we have this

Mike Lindell

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟325,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't looked for an hour or so. GME is making a really interesting chart today. Up around $350, down around $200 and now back up some to about $250. We'll see where it all settles out. Regardless, the overall trajectory of Gamestop stock over the past few months has been steadily up.

Against the odds, I might add. (just to bring the matter back to Lindell's chances)

But doesn't this same idea of yours, that Lindell's platform can get money to survive, show that it won't necessarily succeed? Parler is still around, why should those who are already on Parler switch and give money to Lindell's Platform? And would he even take the company public? My guess is no, that he'd want to remain the sole/controlling owner (like he is with MyPillow).

Beyond that, any platform he develops will need to find a web hosting server -- I'm guessing Lindell will refuse to abide by Amazon's terms of service (that require some moderation), so won't be able to use their web hosting. Sure, that one can be fixed but it also points that he likely will be unable to get (or at least keep) any app created for his platform onto iOS or Android -- meaning likely no smartphone support.

The real question here, and the one most are talking about, is not if he can finance this startup and get it going -- I think most assume he has, or can get, the money to make it happen. The real question being discussed is if it will ever be successful -- meaning getting tens or hundreds of millions of users that frequently post. I think that is doubtful, that instead he is unlikely to do any better than Parler; especially as he must compete with Parler and other sites.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Like virtually every other "conservative" alternative, I predict this will wind up being another cesspool of simple-minded, lowbrow fear-mongering. If it even gets off the ground in the first place.

The comparison to GME is faulty because the hedge funds who shorted GME essentially walked themselves into a trap, hoping that nobody would notice. WSB noticed and pounced. It's not unlike that trope of westerns wherein a party of travelers takes a shortcut through a narrow canyon only to be waylaid by Indians or bandits hiding in the cliffs above them, capitalizing on the party's lack of escape routes. There is no comparison to be made between them and large mainstream platforms like Youtube and Twitter; those platforms have no fatal weakness to exploit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,424.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Amazing no-one ever thought of just starting a new company that could just immediately replace two of the biggest Internet giants on the planet...

Also isn't this kind of assuming Liddell has any money left after Dominion get through with their billion dollar lawsuit against him?

Flat broke and in debt is my prediction for his future.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

"These people achieved something remarkable, so that must mean these other peoples incredibly unlikely venture is more likely to succeed!"

• Optimistic
Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Like virtually every other "conservative" alternative, I predict this will wind up being another cesspool of simple-minded, lowbrow fear-mongering. If it even gets off the ground in the first place.
We'll see.

Odds would certainly seem to be against Lindell. Still, many successful people leverage one successful venture into additional successful ventures. The characteristics which allow successful people to achieve one success often allow them to achieve additional successes as well.
The comparison to GME is faulty because the hedge funds who shorted GME essentially walked themselves into a trap, hoping that nobody would notice. WSB noticed and pounced. It's not unlike that trope of westerns wherein a party of travelers takes a shortcut through a narrow canyon only to be waylaid by Indians or bandits hiding in the cliffs above them, capitalizing on the party's lack of escape routes. There is no comparison to be made between them and large mainstream platforms like Youtube and Twitter; those platforms have no fatal weakness to exploit.
Noting that before Wallstreetbets successfully took down prominent hedge funds, the hedge funds were not perceived as having any particular fatal weakness either.

Anyone who believes that Youtube and Twitter are without fatal weaknesses, hasn't been paying attention. It's worth noting that Facebook, by some accounts, has been an ongoing dumpster fire since day 1.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MyPlatform: now with more insurrection!

He'll also have a 2 for 1 membership deal that he'll never honor.
Oh he'll honor it. It's just that in order to honor it, you have to pay an additional shipping and handling... which happens to cost as much as a membership.

• Haha
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We'll see.

Odds would certainly seem to be against Lindell. Still, many successful people leverage one successful venture into additional successful ventures. The characteristics which allowed them to achieve one success often allow them to achieve additional success.

The guy makes pillows that he advertises on tv. If he was looking to expand to other low-cost durable goods, then I wouldn't be surprised if were successful. But there's a huge difference between manufacturing goods sold via infomercial and building a competitive global content platform.

Noting that before Wallstreetbets successfully took down prominent hedge funds, the hedge funds were not perceived as having a fatal weakness.

That's because they didn't have a fatal weakness (that I'm aware of) until they all shorted GME and left themselves vulnerable to a short squeeze.

Anyone who believes that Youtube and Twitter are without fatal weaknesses, hasn't been paying attention.

Anti-trust concerns seem to be their most vulnerable weakness at this point, but that's not something Lindell is going to be able to exploit until the feds do the heavy lifting for him.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I post my opinion on sites like that, I get shouted down and called a lot of things, most of which I can't repeat here. I also get accused of being a government troll. Also, I usually get dozens of downvotes.
So one form of censorship is replaced with another. There's nothing about that model I care to participate in.

Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0