Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What, exactly, are you trying to say?

I have yet to see you voice a clear, "I think he's nuts because of these three points." or, "I think he's great because of these two teachings."

Your posts always seem to display an ability to gather information (which anybody can do these days, thanks to Google), but lacking any clear analysis that results in a particular view.

What is your view on the validity, or lack thereof, of Rood?

Easy G (G²);62150610 said:
Don't know if you are aware of it - but there was another thread on the issue that gave some good information on the matter - as seen in the thread entitled Why do so many Messianics criticize Michael Rood?. Some have even been shocked by the fact that he chose to have a sacrifice outdoors - yet I don wonder how off it really was (more here) - and on many things, many of the same people who may have complained against him have actually supported things he has taught at some point or another.

He used to be with "The Way International" - well known for their cult status and other things they've done...and he still works with people from there. (more shared here , here, here and here). Much of what he does with his own fellowship is considered to be a Splinter Group dynamic of Way International. He has shared his own testimony of his background - although some of the things shared seemed to be a good bit out there when seeing current actions:

There was one time years ago where he prophesied the End of the World on a specific date and got A LOT of people unsettled - and it didn't seem right at all. And many of his actions seemed no different than things I'd hear from some of the Hebrew Roots cults I unfortunately encountered/lost family and friends to back in 08 - as the man (not surprisingly) is very dogmatic and has made attempt to reinforce his teachings to his supporters with extremely strong warnings that to depart from them would be to "deny God" or such.

For more, one can go online/investigate the article entitled What the Heck, Michael Rood? | Messianic Jewish Musings - and the others would be Learn to be a Prophet in Jerusalem! | - Rosh Pina Project and Haredim and the Bible | - Rosh Pina Project. Additionally:

The videos/info I was able to find on him:When he made his prophecies of the world ending back in May of 2011, we discussed in service t the subject of deception and those who may fall into the errors of believing that the Messiah will come/telling others when.....and we prayed for Brother Michael on the issue since he has supported this. Some of what he offers is akin to what occurred with Y2K and many of the "End Times" teachers that were on T.V. (i.e Hal Lindsey, Jack Van Imp, etc) who would say that the Lord was coming back on certain dates---and then having to backtrack when it didn't happen. It's unfortunate to see since it comes off as if one's a conspiracy theorist that strings together things without seeing if they even should connect. For the people who may get into alarms/try to buy supplies and give up their jobs (as many did in the 70/s when thinking the Lord would return), it will be very unfortunate.

Some of the things he does are a bit eccentric - such as his dress - and I think it's why many get thrown off by him, in addition to other things. But his dress would be the last thing I'd worry on him about. More shared on that before in previous discussion

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Easy G (G²);62151128 said:
Exactly what I said (and what others have said as well for a long time - from Contra to Messianic Mommy and many others). It's not that complicated, lest you make it such.

If it hadn't been for your succinct answer to Qnts, I wouldn't have understood your long drawn-out post. That one was quite ambiguous, Easy. And your first 2 links didn't help, one was an introductory page to derek lyman's newsletter, the other was about a school of prophecy in Israel, neither had nothing to do with rood whatsoever. The 3rd link indeed wasn't singing his song. Haven't checked out the others yet.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If it hadn't been for your succinct answer to Qnts, I wouldn't have understood your long drawn-out post. .
No offense, Y, but there've been multiple instances you've not understood that which is short from several posters (myself included) - and easily understood that which others wrote that was long drawn-out...a fact that others have pointed out multiple times, just as they pointed out other times what others you say whom you disagree with were easily understood. If Contra or Messianic Mommy, Shimshon and numerous others can easily understand - including the author of the OP (as we PM each other often and talk on profiles) - there's no reason you cannot as well.
That one was quite ambiguous, Easy. And your first 2 links didn't help, one was an introductory page to derek lyman's newsletter, the other was about a school of prophecy in Israel, neither had nothing to do with rood whatsoever
Not what the links said at all (nor were the ones you noted even the first two) - as the FIRST one was to a discussion thread where I alongside COntra and others shared thoughts on the subject when it came to how many Messianics here on the forum agreed to things Michael Rood said word for word. The second one came directly from Apologetics Index.org and shared on many of the teachings of Michael and where they were out of line with scripture. The later links were from the same organization - in regards to how Michael used to work and still does with "The Way International" (a well known CULT) and some of the things said negatively within the organization and outside of it as a splinter group of TWI.

After that came a video that was directly focused on what Rood said himself on the matter - His confession of being a former cult member (as he sees it). Zaal likes documentation and things said for first hand reference - so I gave him that to investigate on his own time, be it now or later.

Only later did the others by Derek Lyman came....and the latter one one that dealt with something Derek Leman said in review on Michael's newsletter that he had severe issue with - as Derek doesn't agree and has shared why. He shared in-depth on some of the comments Michael has made, as it concerns things like the calender he goes by (as Rood's blog he linked to shares directly how the man thinks it is the year 6011 ..and also sharing on some of the advertisments of himself he continually has on his webpage). If he changed the page sharing his in-depth views of why he is an issue, that's another issue altogether - but I've read the link multiple times and it shares directly what I just said.

The other one was in regards to commentary on Rood. And the others - if reading them - gave in depth analysis on the activities of the man....one fo them being one of another string of "End of the World" predictions he made back in 2011 and that others discussed/I shared on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
what truth would that be? can we start with his numerous failed Day of the Lord guesses?

Ok. Who has any of the quotes of the guesses he made? Did he say something like "The tribulation will definitely start August 1, 2000" or was it like, "If I have calculated correctly, it could start on this date"? Was he making a definitive prediction or an educated guess?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The second video that EasyG put up (End of the World?) was Michael Rood stating why May 21, 2011 was not going to be anything, much less the rapture that one group of Christians was promoting. He also mentions his statement about 2010, that if certain things happened by a certain time, that it could be the earliest possible date for the start of the tribulation. He did not predict that it would happen for certain.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Easy G (G²);62151215 said:
No offense, Y, but there've been multiple instances you've not understood that which is short from several posters (myself included) - and easily understood that which others wrote that was long drawn-out...a fact that others have pointed out multiple times, just as they pointed out other times what others you say whom you disagree with were easily understood. If Contra or Messianic Mommy, Shimshon and numerous others can easily understand - including the author of the OP (as we PM each other often and talk on profiles) - there's no reason you cannot as well.
Not what the links said at all - as the FIRST one was to a discussion thread where I alongside COntra and others shared thoughts on the subject when it came to how many Messianics here on the forum agreed to things Michael Rood said word for word. The second one came directly from Apologetics Index.org and shared on many of the teachings of Michael and where they were out of line with scripture.

Only later did the others by Derek Leman came....and the latter on dealt with something Derek Leman said in review on Michael - as Derek doesn't agree and has shared why. If he changed the page sharing his in-depth views of why he is an issue, that's another issue altogether.

The other one was in regards to commentary on Rood. And the others - if reading them - gave in depth analysis on the activities of the man....one fo them being a direct confession of his actions for 1st hand information.

My assessment that the post was ambiguous stands, you seem to go back and forth from pro to con. But I do admit that I was mistaken on the links. The ones I followed were these:
"...For more, one can go online/investigate the article entitled What the Heck, Michael Rood? | Messianic Jewish Musings - and the others would be Learn to be a Prophet in Jerusalem! | - Rosh Pina Project ..."
and the first one was simply a page to click a link to sign up for Lyman's newsletter and the other, again, was about that prophecy school - not a word was said about rood in either.

Don't you check your links prior to using them? Wouldn't that be a good idea?

The third link that I followed was the first one in the listed links (below the two noted above), and as I said, it did not paint him in a good light, didn't sing his song.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rant on, McDuff.
No need -as you already did that earlier with the comments (in addition to not really addressing what Zaal asked in others sharing their own thoughts on Rood/what they felt). If you wanted to make a mountain out of a molehill, IMHO, there are better things to do - although it's enough of a pity one cannot avoid personal remarks when they don't get their way... as if that's a good thing. One would hope you'd be beyond that and that is something I'd think be beneath you to do so. Some things take time, though
Your accusations and prevarications don't bother me.
No one said they were concerned with whether or not you were bothered, as that's not a prerequisite for noting where something is inaccurate or unecessary, whether it is dealt with or not. Thus, no need bringing it up as if it was a factor in discussion.
I asked for clarification
Asking isn't the same as deriding or making personal commentary that's useless ( Proverbs 11:12 ) - no different than someone who writes something and another making commentary on how dumb it is...only to follow with "So what are your feelings on the matter?" as you failed to actually read. If one wishes to paint themselves in a positive light as if they were just asking questions, there needs to be an accurate backdrop of such where they simply ask - and nothing more.

discovered you finally wrote a direct statement just a few minutes prior to my question.
Had you actually read, you would have seen the same thing in direct statements before as what was stated later. It does make a world of difference in choosing to examine fully/objectively before responding (James 1:18-20 , Proverbs 29:20, etc.)

Your allegations and misrepresentations? That comes strictly from you.
Not according to what numerous others have already said when the same has been done and what was already laid out before - but people tend to see what they see rather than what is.

Have a lovely nigh
Shalom :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
The second video that EasyG put up (End of the World?) was Michael Rood stating why May 21, 2011 was not going to be anything, much less the rapture that one group of Christians was promoting. He also mentions his statement about 2010, that if certain things happened by a certain time, that it could be the earliest possible date for the start of the tribulation. He did not predict that it would happen for certain.

I kinda figured he didn't predict that date. That's what his sign said, that it wasn't the date.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My assessment that the post was ambiguous stands,
Not accurate, seeing that others have already said otherwise (PM ) just as they have before.

you seem to go back and forth from pro to con.
Only for people who choose not to read in context and understand the difference between just flippantly saying "I DON'T LIKE THE GUY!!!!" (as if that's substantial) and actually examining the good and bad while also making clear you don't like someone.

Before anything was said to Q, it was already made clear in the previous discussion I linked to (where COntra and I shared thoughts alongside others) that I was not a fan. Otherwise, it'd be illogical for me to note where I thought he was decieved when it came to his "End TImes" predictions, His being connected to "The Way Internationa" (a well known cult), and his advocacy of many other things. If that much isn't clear even when others have noted the same, then one is either not reading fully - or they're reading through a filter. Or they just get certain things as easily as others do who have a mind for detail. Someone noting negatives as well as positives isn't doing "pro and con" since avoiding slander of men/women requires examination of all the facts - just as scripture notes.
But I do admit that I was mistaken on the links. The ones I followed were these:
"...For more, one can go online/investigate the article entitled What the Heck, Michael Rood? | Messianic Jewish Musings - and the others would be Learn to be a Prophet in Jerusalem! | - Rosh Pina Project ..."
and the first one was simply a page to click a link to sign up for Lyman's newsletter and the other, again, was about that prophecy school - not a word was said about rood in either.

Don't you check your links prior to using them? Wouldn't that be a good idea?
Already check my links before using them - and I'd suggest that one stop thinking others don't check them prior to using and (in giving benefit of the doubt) consider that perhaps something is off on your end when it does not come up EXACTLY as it does for others. I checked the links - and it was not to a page to sign up for Lyman's newletter. That has been the same for several other computers who all link to anything but what you described.

Something is probably wrong with your computer.

Derek Lemman's link dealt with something Derek Leman said in review on Michael's newsletter that he had severe issue with - as Derek doesn't agree and has shared why. He shared in-depth on some of the comments Michael has made, as it concerns things like the calender he goes by (as Rood's blog he linked to shares directly how the man thinks it is the year 6011 ..and also sharing on some of the advertisments of himself he continually has on his webpage). Again - as I take time to check out what I put out before it goes out - I've read the link multiple times and it shares directly what I just said.

In his words, from the actual post (for excerpt):

a staffer at Michael Rood’s organization tried to leave a comment here which was nothing but a link to entice people to Rood’s website. See the comment here. The blog advertised by this commenter must not be written by Rood himself. He has better grammar than this. See this strange blog here.

So, then I went to Rood’s own site, which the commenter advertised. I generally leave “biblical characters” like Rood alone. I assume that most of my readers are not attracted to such hype and vanity. But this little incident caused my eye to wander critically upon Rood’s home turf. What do I find? The guy thinks it is the year 6011 (it’s 5771, peeps). I assume he gets this by adding 4,000 to 2011. Does this mean he thinks the Gregorian calendar has it right and just assumes 4,000 years before that the world was created?

Further, he has a video playing on his home page right now. He holds up a Spanish language newspaper, implying it is a headline about himself and a Passover Seder he led last year in Argentina. He rolls his eyes and says it is “unbelievable” the rumor mill about “Rood doing Passover in exile.” He then launches into a strange commercial for a Passover Seder he is doing “in exile” this year in Charlotte, NC. He says, “Folks, this is the closest thing you will see to the marriage supper of the lamb.” There you have it. Want to be at the “marriage supper of the lamb”?
The third link that I followed was the first one in the listed links (below the two noted above), and as I said, it did not paint him in a good light, didn't sing his song.
Indeed. It was not supportative of him at all, nor was it really necessary to do so in light of all that it covered on him that can be verified if spending time on YouTube and seeing some of his own words/teachings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Easy G (G²);62151354 said:
Not accurate, seeing that others have already said otherwise (PM ) just as they have before.

Only for people who choose not to read in context and understand the difference between just flippantly saying "I DON'T LIKE THE GUY!!!!" (as if that's substantial) and actually examining the good and bad while also making clear you don't like someone.

Before anything was said to Q, it was already made clear in the previous discussion I linked to (where COntra and I shared thoughts alongside others) that I was not a fan. Otherwise, it'd be illogical for me to note where I thought he was decieved when it came to his "End TImes" predictions, His being connected to "The Way Internationa" (a well known cult), and his advocacy of many other things. If that much isn't clear even when others have noted the same, then one is either not reading fully - or they're reading through a filter. Or they just get certain things as easily as others do who have a mind for detail. Someone noting negatives as well as positives isn't doing "pro and con" since avoiding slander of men/women requires examination of all the facts - just as scripture notes.
Already check my links before using them - and I'd suggest that one stop thinking others don't check them prior to using and (in giving benefit of the doubt) consider that perhaps something is off on your end when it does not come up EXACTLY as it does for others. I checked the links - and it was not to a page to sign up for Lyman's newletter. That has been the same for several other computers who all link to anything but what you described.

Something is probably wrong with your computer.

Derek Lemman's link dealt with something Derek Leman said in review on Michael's newsletter that he had severe issue with - as Derek doesn't agree and has shared why. He shared in-depth on some of the comments Michael has made, as it concerns things like the calender he goes by (as Rood's blog he linked to shares directly how the man thinks it is the year 6011 ..and also sharing on some of the advertisments of himself he continually has on his webpage). Again - as I take time to check out what I put out before it goes out - I've read the link multiple times and it shares directly what I just said.

In his words, from the actual post (for excerpt):

a staffer at Michael Rood’s organization tried to leave a comment here which was nothing but a link to entice people to Rood’s website. See the comment here. The blog advertised by this commenter must not be written by Rood himself. He has better grammar than this. See this strange blog here.

So, then I went to Rood’s own site, which the commenter advertised. I generally leave “biblical characters” like Rood alone. I assume that most of my readers are not attracted to such hype and vanity. But this little incident caused my eye to wander critically upon Rood’s home turf. What do I find? The guy thinks it is the year 6011 (it’s 5771, peeps). I assume he gets this by adding 4,000 to 2011. Does this mean he thinks the Gregorian calendar has it right and just assumes 4,000 years before that the world was created?

Further, he has a video playing on his home page right now. He holds up a Spanish language newspaper, implying it is a headline about himself and a Passover Seder he led last year in Argentina. He rolls his eyes and says it is “unbelievable” the rumor mill about “Rood doing Passover in exile.” He then launches into a strange commercial for a Passover Seder he is doing “in exile” this year in Charlotte, NC. He says, “Folks, this is the closest thing you will see to the marriage supper of the lamb.” There you have it. Want to be at the “marriage supper of the lamb”?
Indeed. It was not supportative of him at all, nor was it really necessary to do so in light of all that it covered on him that can be verified if spending time on YouTube and seeing some of his own words/teachings.

I did check both those links again and they are coming up the same

Never mind third time is a charm (I brought up another copy of this post so I could c/p the page that was coming up) this time there is an article - Odd. But it's there so excuse me for the trouble!!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Indeed - and for those watching the video, he does well in making clear what he was thinking. Anyone going here to May 21: End of the World Delusion - Episode 1 - Michael Rood for more verification on the video can see what he noted.
The "May 21, 2011 rapture and end of the world" delusion is in the forefront of the news today, but in a month it will have destroyed the lives of many who have been enveloped in its tentacles. This coming Sabbath, Friday May 6, 2011, Michael Rood will present "part deux" in his exposure of this modern Internet fairytale as he warms up for his ongoing teaching series, The Chronological Gospels – the Life and Seventy Week Ministry of Messiah."

Yahshua articulated several "event markers" which would precede his return so that his followers would not be deceived by the false messiahs miraculously appearing on the world stage, or by the false prophets who would be promulgating a tameon or secret pre-tribulation rapture. Most of these event markers have been ignored – and the elect, though adequately forewarned by the Messiah, are easily taken in by religious deceivers."
Regarding what I said earlier about the predictions he made on the End of the World in May 1st, when we talked on it in fellowship back in 2011, it was within the context of how his speaking on the matter still seemed very off in light of the string of other claims he made about the world ending - and that even in saying the 21st as off, it still seemed odd he was preaching on it and yet his track record seemed off (as Sister Q well noted in #5 ). It'd be similar to many others teaching that the world was not going to end in 2012 and yet having a repeated history where they'd encourage others to take their words seriously when they repeatedly said multiples times it was going to end in previous years. His prediction on the End of the World in May and how it was not going to happen just didn't seem to be worth entertaining - even if it was true - due to the fact that there was already so much other stuff he had done that didn't make him seem like someone to put stock into (IMHO).

As said earlier, I think the man has shared some interesting/good things on differing issues - but overall, I don't feel comfortable with him and I think he needs a lot of pryaer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I did check both those links again and they are coming up the same

Never mind third time is a charm (I brought up another copy of this post so I could c/p the page that was coming up) this time there is an article - Odd. But it's there so excuse me for the trouble!!
Computers are funny like that, as I've clicked on pages before and it turns out that somewhere in cyber-space the link gets mixed up/redirected to somewhere else - and in clicking differently on another server or bringing up a new window, it ends up working. Wish it'd not happen.

Upvote 0

Zeek

Follower of Messiah, Israel advocate and Zionist
Nov 8, 2010
England
✟11,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks again for the collective information...I personally have found it really helpful in weighing up the validity of Roods teaching, the character of the man and perhaps most significantly how he is perceived by brethren.

I am sorry there is a bit of in-fighting going on (its very Jewish though :cool:)
and just to say I have no trouble understanding what my friend Easy G is saying, and quite often I find he puts information out there without necessarily making comment or stating an obvious position which I presume is because he doesn't want to add a perspective that might prejudice an informed and unbiased judgment....we all have our own unique methods of interacting on the net...personally I embrace the diversity, all methods can have positive elements if we gracefully look for them without getting into Pollyanna Syndrome.

If there is one sentence that has been a pertinent reflection of my own limited research on Michael Rood so far it is this:-

Easy G...."As said earlier, I think the man has shared some interesting/good things on differing issues - but overall, I don't feel comfortable with him and I think he needs a lot of prayer. "

I think our attitude for people that are in error should go beyond an automatic condemnation and be tempered with a desire to see them restored and walking in the Truth...but I admit when someone is in a position of what might be termed 'spiritual authority' there is a rather urgent need to expose their errors as quickly and effectively as possible to halt the spread of deception in the Body...it seems endemic in these days we are living in.

Cheers Zazal (not Zaal ;))

Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks again for the collective information...I personally have found it really helpful in weighing up the validity of Roods teaching, the character of the man and perhaps most significantly how he is perceived by brethren.

I am sorry there is a bit of in-fighting going on (its very Jewish though :cool:)
and just to say I have no trouble understanding what my friend Easy G is saying, and quite often I find he puts information out there without necessarily making comment or stating an obvious position which I presume is because he doesn't want to add a perspective that might prejudice an informed and unbiased judgment....we all have our own unique methods of interacting on the net...personally I embrace the diversity, all methods can have positive elements if we gracefully look for them without getting into Pollyanna Syndrome.

If there is one sentence that has been a pertinent reflection of my own limited research on Michael Rood so far it is this:-

Easy G...."As said earlier, I think the man has shared some interesting/good things on differing issues - but overall, I don't feel comfortable with him and I think he needs a lot of prayer. "

I think our attitude for people that are in error should go beyond an automatic condemnation and be tempered with a desire to see them restored and walking in the Truth...but I admit when someone is in a position of what might be termed 'spiritual authority' there is a rather urgent need to expose their errors as quickly and effectively as possible to halt the spread of deception in the Body...it seems endemic in these days we are living in.

Cheers Zazal (not Zaal ;))

Yes, there can be some in-fighting here - we are a very large diverse family. It would be odd, considering our size, if there were no differences of opinion! But, usually at the end of the day, we can all hug and say, "lailah tov" and mean it. Families are like that, yeah, they are! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I am amazed at how much non accurate infomation that has been stated about Michael Rood. For me His teachings have been life changing. Now I agree he can come off a bit abrasive at times but all his information is well studied an strictly biblical in its base. He has constantly explained how certain contradictions throughout the bible have come through miss translations. Once the research is explained it is easy to better understand what the writer was truly trying convey. He is maybe not for everybody because not everyone will be ready to make changes when he brings things to light,

Breeze, I am not responding to you personally but using your post as a jump off point.

Michael Rood in my view promotes false and dangerous teachings. He is not well studied and his supposed grasp of Hebrew is all smoke and mirrors. To someone who actually knows some Hebrew, this is blatantly obvious. But Rood plays to an audience which he counts on being ignorant of Hebrew and actual Jewish history and practices.

Since actual Hebrew speakers can attest to Roods total lack of knowledge, any claims he might make to mis-translations have no backing as he does not know enough Hebrew to make such an assertion.

Dr. Michael Brown did a review of one of Roods books. Dr. Brown is a Messianic Jew, who is known for his expertise in Hebrew and Greek. Dr. Brown is considered an expert on the Hebrew text. Brown's review of Roods book 'The pagan Christian connection' in the Messianic Times newpaper in 2005 says the following (REVIEW OF ROOD’S PAGAN-CHRISTIAN CONNECTION by Dr. Michael Brown; The Messianic Times: April/May 2005 issue, Vol. 15, No. 2) :

"...Michael J. Rood, The Pagan-Christian Connection Exposed (Gainesville, FL: Bridge-Logos, 6004[2004] sic!, xvii, 123 pp.)
This is a shockingly poor book with almost no redeeming qualities, and it is best dismissed as a mere sensationalistic curiosity. If taken seriously, the extreme rhetoric and exaggerated statements that dominate the book could prove dangerous to unsuspecting readers. ... it bears several marks of cult-like teaching,something which is especially unfortunate, since it is published by Bridge-Logos.
... Each chapter is clearly based on Rood’s TV shows ...Pictures of the author, depicted in full priestly regalia, appear a dozen times in the book, including the front and back cover, and the message is simple: Michael Rood alone has the revelation. Others – meaning the great majority of believers throughout the world, especially in America – are in darkness and willful ignorance, blinded by their “Western Gentile mentalities” (pp. xvi, 59; see also p. 69).... Actually, it is his calling other parts of the Body “cults” that is cultlike, and it should be recognized as such.
Yet the rhetoric is more extreme than this: “Easter is the rehearsal of child sacrifice and fertility rites of pagan sun god worshipers” (p. 64) while a Christmas tree is “an evergreen phallic symbol” (p. 87). ... many believers – especially Messianic Jews – are not comfortable with Easter and Christmas customs, but would they join Rood in saying, “I will not subject myself to their perverted, disgusting forms of satanic worship. . . . I have died to their world, and I will not return to the vomit of Tammuz worship” (pp. 91-92)?

Space forbids me from citing other, similar examples – and there are many – but it should be noted that Rood, who claims to think Hebraically and who somehow claims access to otherwise hidden and secret information (see, e.g., pp. 43-44), cannot even get simple Hebrew names right, using non-existent forms like Yahshua (instead of Yehoshua, p. 77) as well as Azriyah and Haninyah (instead of Azaryah and Hananyah, p. 54, and see Dan 1:7). He even makes the wildly inaccurate claim that the Greeks “called all their gods, from Adonis to Zeus, Christos” (p. 76), while in reality, in the Greek, Gentile world, christos had virtually no spiritual significance and was normally misunderstood as a proper name.
...there are a few good points that Rood does make, they ...are not new at all, while the new points he makes are anything but good. Bridge-Logos would do well to consult with biblical scholars who are sensitive to the Jewish roots of the faith before publishing more books of this kind. The inflammatory rhetoric, often based on wrong information, will certainly not promote truth." ..."

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Michael Rood in my view promotes false and dangerous teachings. He is not well studied and his supposed grasp of Hebrew is all smoke and mirrors. To someone who actually knows some Hebrew, this is blatantly obvious. But Rood plays to an audience which he counts on being ignorant of Hebrew and actual Jewish history and practices.

Since actual Hebrew speakers can attest to Roods total lack of knowledge, any claims he might make to mis-translations have no backing as he does not know enough Hebrew to make such an assertion.

Dr. Michael Brown did a review of one of Roods books. Dr. Brown is a Messianic Jew, who is known for his expertise in Hebrew and Greek. Dr. Brown is considered an expert on the Hebrew text. Brown's review of Roods book 'The pagan Christian connection' in the Messianic Times newpaper in 2005 says the following (REVIEW OF ROOD’S PAGAN-CHRISTIAN CONNECTION by Dr. Michael Brown; The Messianic Times: April/May 2005 issue, Vol. 15, No. 2) :

"...Michael J. Rood, The Pagan-Christian Connection Exposed (Gainesville, FL: Bridge-Logos, 6004[2004] sic!, xvii, 123 pp.)
This is a shockingly poor book with almost no redeeming qualities, and it is best dismissed as a mere sensationalistic curiosity. If taken seriously, the extreme rhetoric and exaggerated statements that dominate the book could prove dangerous to unsuspecting readers. ... it bears several marks of cult-like teaching,something which is especially unfortunate, since it is published by Bridge-Logos.
... Each chapter is clearly based on Rood’s TV shows ...Pictures of the author, depicted in full priestly regalia, appear a dozen times in the book, including the front and back cover, and the message is simple: Michael Rood alone has the revelation. Others – meaning the great majority of believers throughout the world, especially in America – are in darkness and willful ignorance, blinded by their “Western Gentile mentalities” (pp. xvi, 59; see also p. 69).... Actually, it is his calling other parts of the Body “cults” that is cultlike, and it should be recognized as such.
Yet the rhetoric is more extreme than this: “Easter is the rehearsal of child sacrifice and fertility rites of pagan sun god worshipers” (p. 64) while a Christmas tree is “an evergreen phallic symbol” (p. 87). ... many believers – especially Messianic Jews – are not comfortable with Easter and Christmas customs, but would they join Rood in saying, “I will not subject myself to their perverted, disgusting forms of satanic worship. . . . I have died to their world, and I will not return to the vomit of Tammuz worship” (pp. 91-92)?

Space forbids me from citing other, similar examples – and there are many – but it should be noted that Rood, who claims to think Hebraically and who somehow claims access to otherwise hidden and secret information (see, e.g., pp. 43-44), cannot even get simple Hebrew names right, using non-existent forms like Yahshua (instead of Yehoshua, p. 77) as well as Azriyah and Haninyah (instead of Azaryah and Hananyah, p. 54, and see Dan 1:7). He even makes the wildly inaccurate claim that the Greeks “called all their gods, from Adonis to Zeus, Christos” (p. 76), while in reality, in the Greek, Gentile world, christos had virtually no spiritual significance and was normally misunderstood as a proper name.

...there are a few good points that Rood does make, they ...are not new at all, while the new points he makes are anything but good. Bridge-Logos would do well to consult with biblical scholars who are sensitive to the Jewish roots of the faith before publishing more books of this kind. The inflammatory rhetoric, often based on wrong information, will certainly not promote truth." ..."

Many thanks for that review by Dr.Brown - as it was very informative and I was not aware that he made one. Will save it for later...

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Breeze, I am not responding to you personally but using your post as a jump off point.

... it bears several marks of cult-like teaching,something which is especially unfortunate, since it is published by Bridge-Logos.

.... Actually, it is his calling other parts of the Body “cults” that is cultlike, and it should be recognized as such.

I only want to respond to a couple of points here. Rood is a teacher, and some of his teachings are outside the mainstream of MJ. That makes him different, but not dangerous or cult-like. His straightforward presentation of the facts and his blunt assessment of church traditions that stem from paganism puts off some people. If what he says is the truth, then that is their problem, not his. Much of his teachings are mirrored in Lew White's book Fossilized Customs.

A true cult is characterized by people who follow a person's or group's teaching as the only truth, above even the scriptures. Michael Rood neither claims such singular truth nor inspires a cult-like following who see him as a prophet or leader.

In all his books and tapes that I have studied, I remember only two times he has talked about mistranslations of scripture. One was the Matthew passage about they who sit on Moses' seat, and the other was about a prophecy in Zechariah.

Rood did not argue against the first himself, but looked to an expert in Biblical Hebrew, Nehemiah Gordon to explain what it said. While I disagree with his conclusion, there is no disputing Mr. Gordon's qualifications on the subject.

The second was a prophecy about a woman in a basket with a lead lid. He explains it on this page:
Zechariah's Flying Scrolls ~ Are they MISSILES?

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
[/LEFT]

I only want to respond to a couple of points here. Rood is a teacher, and some of his teachings are outside the mainstream of MJ. That makes him different, but not dangerous or cult-like. His straightforward presentation of the facts and his blunt assessment of church traditions that stem from paganism puts off some people. If what he says is the truth, then that is their problem, not his. Much of his teachings are mirrored in Lew White's book Fossilized Customs.

A true cult is characterized by people who follow a person's or group's teaching as the only truth, above even the scriptures. Michael Rood neither claims such singular truth nor inspires a cult-like following who see him as a prophet or leader.

In all his books and tapes that I have studied, I remember only two times he has talked about mistranslations of scripture. One was the Matthew passage about they who sit on Moses' seat, and the other was about a prophecy in Zechariah.

Rood did not argue against the first himself, but looked to an expert in Biblical Hebrew, Nehemiah Gordon to explain what it said. While I disagree with his conclusion, there is no disputing Mr. Gordon's qualifications on the subject.

The second was a prophecy about a woman in a basket with a lead lid. He explains it on this page:
Zechariah's Flying Scrolls ~ Are they MISSILES?
Gordon's qualifications as well as his position on different subjects can be disputed.... That is what studying to show thy self approved is all about... Be a Berean... take no man as the ultimate authority... take it all with a grain of salt,... lay it on the altar and let God reveal with your own personal study on any given subject that which is a gem of wisdom and knowledge from God.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Gordon's qualifications as well as his position on different subjects can be disputed.... That is what studying to show thy self approved is all about... Be a Berean... take no man as the ultimate authority... take it all with a grain of salt,... lay it on the altar and let God reveal with your own personal study on any given subject that which is a gem of wisdom and knowledge from God.

Lew White can be added to that list of questionable.

Upvote 0