Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
A Haitian American, she was the first black person elected to Congress from Utah and the first black woman elected as a Republican…

She later acknowledged the bonds created with fellow caucus members. “As the only female Republican member of the Congressional Black Caucus, I have the opportunity every day to work across the aisle on issues that are divisive but important,” she said. “My faith and my belief in the humanity of every one of God’s children helps me to work with my Congressional Black Caucus colleagues on important issues like criminal justice reform.”…

Love opposes abortion.[80] In a speech at the 2017 March for Life, she said her parents, immigrants from Haiti, considered aborting her but decided not to do so...

By 2017, however, she had become a member of the Climate Solutions Caucus and stated that climate policies and economic growth are not mutually exclusive...

Love supports immigration reform. She was a co-sponsor of the Recognizing America's Children Act, which would provide a pathway for DACA recipients to permanently remain in the country.[93]

In 2018 Love joined with Democrats in seeking to force immigration-related legislation to a vote on the house floor. In June 2018 she specifically denounced the Trump administration's separation of children from their parents when they crossed into the US under some circumstances...

On October 8, 2016, following the release of a damaging video depicting then-presidential nominee Donald Trump speaking about groping women, Love stated publicly that she would not vote for Trump in the presidential election. In addition, Love urged Trump to withdraw from the race for the good of the Republican Party and the country…

In a concession speech following her 2018 defeat, Love asserted that Trump and others in the Republican Party had not done enough for minority voters.
Mia Love - Wikipedia

Mia Love likely lost Republican votes for standing up against Donald Trump when he was wrong and in favor of civil rights, but she did the right thing.

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When any Republican Congressperson switches over to the Democratic Party line time after time, as Mia Love did, there will be people who try to make the issue be that person's opposition to President Trump.

Most often, the voters see through that excuse that's often given by Democrats and for obvious reasons. they vote the person out of office as happened in this case.

It's unfortunate, in a way, because Mia Love had a bright future, but Romney won his seat in Congress from the same state as Ms. Love, although his political views had been known for some time prior to his election to the Senate, so it's not as though Mia Love lost favor just because she spoke against Donald Trump.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
When any Republican Congressperson switches over to the Democratic Party line time after time, as Mia Love did, there will be people who try to make the issue be that person's opposition to President Trump.

According to political polling and reporting website FiveThirtyEight, Love's votes aligned with Trump's positions around 96% of the time during the 115th Congress.[97]
Mia Love - Wikipedia

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently read that opposition to abortion is a primary factor for black Republicans, especially if they are religious.

I think that Democrats, particularly in swing or red states, need to have more flexibility about abortion. While they are unlikely to be as anti-abortion as Republicans, America isn't either, and some modification would defuse the issue to an extent.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently read that opposition to abortion is a primary factor for black Republicans, especially if they are religious.

I think that Democrats, particularly in swing or red states, need to have more flexibility about abortion. While they are unlikely to be as anti-abortion as Republicans, America isn't either, and some modification would defuse the issue to an extent.

The litmus test of the Republican party these days is loyalty to Donald. You can be as anti-abortion as you want and they'll still call you a RINO if you don't back him 100% on everything.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeh, sure. Did you misread the earlier posts?
I don't think I misread any post. I don't see where you have supported your claim that she changed her party from Republican to Democrat. Please give a source for your statement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The litmus test of the Republican party these days is loyalty to Donald. You can be as anti-abortion as you want and they'll still call you a RINO if you don't back him 100% on everything.

I can't think of anyone who got called that for disagreeing with just one issue favored by President Trump. Whom did you have in mind?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't make such a claim. :sigh:
???

Upvote 0