Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Of course it's not a good thing. But America can hurt Mexico A LOT more than Mexico can hurt America. They want to appear tough, but they ultimately cannot afford to play this game with us.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
  • Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mexico is one of the top buyers of American corn in the world today. And Mexican senator Armando Rios Piter, who leads a congressional committee on foreign relations, says he will introduce a bill this week where Mexico will buy corn from Brazil and Argentina instead of the United States.

Mexico ready to retaliate by hurting American corn farmers

Is this a good thing?
Well, first...

Notice the typical way that CNN misuses words in order to promote its agenda. Mexico wouldn't be retaliating if this bill were to become a law in Mexico. Rather, it would be opening a trade war with the USA. But I doubt that Mexico will, in fact, decide to cut off its nose in order to spite its face.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, first...

Notice the typical way that CNN misuses words in order to promote its agenda. Mexico wouldn't be retaliating if this bill were to become a law in Mexico. Rather, it would be opening a trade war with the USA. But I doubt that Mexico will, in fact, decide to cut off its nose in order to spite its face.
Yeah...not retaliate. There havent been any threats made against mexico; no reason for them to be unhappy with how this administration has spoken to, or about their trade relationship.

This seems a weak attempt at deriding CNN

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, first...

I do not think Mexico is opening a trade war here. The US seem determined to put tolls on Mexican goods, so more a response isn't it? If there are already tariffs on Mexican exports to the US, what more will the US do?

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about our trade relationship with Mexico has been a good thing for us? They've taken advantage of us at every turn.

Well, until now they have been on of the largest buyers of corn from the US. That is a good thing for US producers. This might stop soon, though

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah...not retaliate. There havent been any threats made against mexico; no reason for them to be unhappy with how this administration has spoken to, or about their trade relationship.

This seems a weak attempt at deriding CNN

(sigh) The Mexican proposal would effect a change in trade. The US has not put anything like that into effect yet. Get it?

So, it's essentially an exercise in Mexico having a little hissy fit. But as I said, I doubt that it will go through with this step.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do not think Mexico is opening a trade war here. The US seem determined to put tolls on Mexican goods...

Stop there. The bill, in the Mexican legislature, would actually authorize a change in the trade in corn. The US has only floated the possibility--and that's all it is at this time...talk--of imposing some tolls.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's just shut down our corn industry lol...as it is, we're already subsidizing corn farmers because they're making more than anyone needs or wants. Aside from Fiber and a few antioxidants (which can be obtained from much better food sources), it doesn't really have a heck of a lot of nutritional value.

Here's the amount the government subsidizes the corn industry:
$4,843,815,583

Here's how much we make in Corn exports all over the world. (not counting distillers dried grains)
$4,350,000,000

Anyone else see the problem with this?

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Mexico is one of the top buyers of American corn in the world today. And Mexican senator Armando Rios Piter, who leads a congressional committee on foreign relations, says he will introduce a bill this week where Mexico will buy corn from Brazil and Argentina instead of the United States.

Mexico ready to retaliate by hurting American corn farmers

Is this a good thing?

Good for Mexico.

Now they begin programs to cultivate their own natural corn, instead of the technology Americans call corn.

It is an important cultural part of Mexican life; I think it is brilliant to reject American (gmo) products on accord of principle alone.

In terms of economy, it will be a disaster for them.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What about our trade relationship with Mexico has been a good thing for us? They've taken advantage of us at every turn.
Every turn? I would love to hear about alllll the examples.
(sigh) The Mexican proposal would effect a change in trade. The US has not put anything like that into effect yet. Get it?
Iget your argument, its a poor one. Thats all

From your article
He added: It's a "good way to tell them that this hostile relationship has consequences, hope that it changes."
my italics.
They "are starting a trade war" to retaliate against the hostile relationship trump is fomenting.

Cnn word usuage was fine

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Every turn? I would love to hear about alllll the examples.

Iget your argument, its a poor one. Thats all

From your article
my italics.
They "are starting a trade war" to retaliate against the hostile relationship trump is fomenting.

Cnn word usuage was fine
It's not a known fact that we have a trade deficit with Mexico? Could they try harder to stop the flow of drugs coming out of there? Put forth actions themselves to stop Mexicans from coming into America? It's obvious Mexico gets the better end of the deal of our relationship with them and it's time for them to step up to the plate if they want a seat at the table.

If they don't buy our corn, so what? We're starting to use corn for a lot of things other than food production.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is an important cultural part of Mexican life; I think it is brilliant to reject American (gmo) products on accord of principle alone.

Mexico will do very poorly if they go back to growing teosinte. Less than ten kernels per stalk is a very low yield.

Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Mexico will do very poorly if they go back to growing teosinte. Less than ten kernels per stalk is a very low yield.

I know.

I said economically it would be a disaster. But, they may just decide to develop relationships with other nations in order to get what they need. It isn't out of the question.

Upvote 0