Mental Illness

saveroom

Truth Seeker
May 27, 2004
Iowa
✟114.00
Faith
Christian
Are you mentally ill and need support? Or are you a Christian who believes there is no such thing as mental illness. Is it OK to take psychiatric medications? If not would you like to stop taking your insulin and pray God will bring you through it

:cry:True story: Some mentally ill people from another country came to a Christian counseling center in America where some were prescribed medication for their depression which releived the symptoms. One woman upon arriving home, her church told her that she should stop taking the medication and let God heal her of her depression. Six weeks later she was dead. She had become so depressed that she commited suicide. THINK ABOUT THAT the next time you tell someone they shouldn't take medication.

:scratch: We're here to try to help one another. So get in and post

May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Was she Christian?

I am not against medication should it be necessary. I am however against putting someone on medication before trying other means. I have seen many cases of depression solved by faith and trust in God. However, I see very few cases where non-Christians can do this.

As for mental illness, look at the parable of the talents, Matthew 25:14-30. I think that should cover a lot of questions you may have.

Upvote 0

Kehaar

You're all I ever needed.
Mar 20, 2004
Scotland
✟23,455.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi saveroom, welcome to the forums :wave:

I do believe there is such a thing as mental illness and I would agree with people taking medication for it. The mind can get sick, just the same way the body can. I've never truely understood the stigma that is so often associated with mental illness.

I do think that demonic possession/attack can have the appearance of mental illness (and physical illness for that matter) but I've never experienced this first hand. In those cases I believe its necessary to enter into spiritual warfare.

Just my viewpoint. :)

Astral

Upvote 0

Epiphany

Multiple of the Way
Jan 25, 2004
Sol III, Northern Hemisphere
Visit site
✟436.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
To Life Immortal

I am Epiphany and I am living with 2 mental illnesses: bipolar and dissociative identity disorder.

I don't tell people about it a lot because they will treat you different when they find out. Many Christians think mental illness is demonic, especially if you're multiple like I am. Many think it doesn't exist.

Ever since I was little, I've been hearing voices and felt not quite human. I tried to figure out what was wrong, but when you're a kid, what can you really do? Sometimes I still don't feel human.

My therapists tell me that being multiple is a defense mechanism. Something bad was happening and I couldn't escape so I dissociated. I'm not evil for doing that. The evil were the people that hunted me down and hurt me. People who isolated me from others and I had no one to talk with but inanimate objects and voices.

Sometimes I think maybe God wants me to help others with the same problem. I don't understand so many things and I'm trying to learn to live with this. I became new Christian, but there are some things about Christianity I have trouble fully accepting, like Jesus' dying for people when he didn't do anything wrong. I have trouble with that and I dont talk about it because if you say that to people, they will think you're evil or don't like Lord Jesus no more.

I worry about how am I going to take care of myself and the littles if something happens to my aunt. I am all alone except for people online. I go to church, but it is new and it is hard for me to make friends. One of the reasons I converted to Christianity from Paganism is that Lord Jesus care about people. I am having problems accepting love and death in name of love.

I will stop now. Write later. Don't wanna scare anybody:sigh:

Peace and Long Life
Epiphany

Reactions: rogsr
Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank God for medicine--I totally agree with that. I had to be on Prozac for awhile when I was extremely depressed. It made a world of difference and made it so that I was able to think clearly and deal with some issues that I needed to deal with. If I needed to be on them again, I wouldn't hesitate to go on them.

If the drugs help them, then they should use them. I don't think most Christians would tell a person who was diabetic or had a heart condition not to take the medicine that would help them.

Upvote 0

kbean

"Seek and you shall find"
May 19, 2004
✟7,749.00
Faith
Christian
Wow there area some powerful inputs here. I am another one who has dealt with mental illness. It's far worse than any physical illness you could have. I have been plagued with depression, to a severe extent accompanied by OCD which I felt was even worse. OCD makes you feel evil and selfish and totally out of touch with God or His strength.
I was hospitalised 2 times, once when I was 15 for 5 weeks, then again in my early 20's for another 5 weeks. I pray it never gets that bad again. Anyway, I was on medication and I believe it has an important role to play, once depression becomes clinical. Mild depression can be overcome and is often due to circumstances, and you can seek help and encouragement from the bible and God there, but I think if it gets too far you have to use the gifts God gave us in science, medication. In combination with therapy (Christian based) and prayer. There is a purpose for everything under then sun...depression AND medicine!
GOd bless all you readers and take great care. Love to you. :hug:

Upvote 0

christianmom

May 13, 2004
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
I also thank God for medicine. My 13 year old has bipolar disorder and without medication would not even be able to live at home. With it he is totally functional, serves in the church, has been saved, etc. The brain is an organ and can have disorders much like any other organ in the body. Yes, you can be healed, if that is God's will. SOmetimes though it is to take medication and heal that way.

Upvote 0

Blindfaith316

Child of God
May 28, 2004
NY
✟516.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Epiphany said:
To Life Immortal

I am Epiphany and I am living with 2 mental illnesses: bipolar and dissociative identity disorder.

I don't tell people about it a lot because they will treat you different when they find out. Many Christians think mental illness is demonic, especially if you're multiple like I am. Many think it doesn't exist.

Ever since I was little, I've been hearing voices and felt not quite human. I tried to figure out what was wrong, but when you're a kid, what can you really do? Sometimes I still don't feel human.

My therapists tell me that being multiple is a defense mechanism. Something bad was happening and I couldn't escape so I dissociated. I'm not evil for doing that. The evil were the people that hunted me down and hurt me. People who isolated me from others and I had no one to talk with but inanimate objects and voices.

Sometimes I think maybe God wants me to help others with the same problem. I don't understand so many things and I'm trying to learn to live with this. I became new Christian, but there are some things about Christianity I have trouble fully accepting, like Jesus' dying for people when he didn't do anything wrong. I have trouble with that and I dont talk about it because if you say that to people, they will think you're evil or don't like Lord Jesus no more.

I worry about how am I going to take care of myself and the littles if something happens to my aunt. I am all alone except for people online. I go to church, but it is new and it is hard for me to make friends. One of the reasons I converted to Christianity from Paganism is that Lord Jesus care about people. I am having problems accepting love and death in name of love.

I will stop now. Write later. Don't wanna scare anybody:sigh:

Peace and Long Life
Epiphany
(((HUGZ))) If you want to talk, you can PM me, I dont want to hi-jack this thread, but I will be more than happy to try to answer your questions!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I suffer from depression, and in all honestly I can say I need the medication. I was on a medication a while ago, and felt that I could take myself off of it, because I felt well if God loves me what more do I need? I felt weak because I was one of those people who needed to be medicated, well ya know what? Who cares...
If your life will be lived better by medication then by all means take it, after all, Doctors are here for a reason...

Upvote 0