Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the only thing I could find where she states its wrong. One sentence out of 28 pages.

I saw at least two or three other places where she talks of men wanting to resist the urge. In any case, the DOES say that it's wrong, you your original assertion that she says that it's all well and good is false.

Upvote 0
L

Lyndie

I saw at least two or three other places where she talks of men wanting to resist the urge. In any case, the DOES say that it's wrong, you your original assertion that she says that it's all well and good is false.
Did you read the last page? It clearly gives the excuse "God made him that way so it must be good." Wanting to and doing are two different things.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is exactly the point we are trying to make. We women are supposed to just 'understand that men are made this way.' But when it comes to women and emotions and talking about relationships its a whole different story: why can't men accept that's the way we are and help us out in that area!!

Where do you see men told not to try to understand how their wives are?

And to the first point, you're supposed to understand that men are made WHAT way? That's a serious question since what you've said indicates a complete missing of the point being made. You take the men are naturally inclined to notice statement and turn it into a justification for intentionally calling up images to dwell on.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did you read the last page? It clearly gives the excuse "God made him that way so it must be good." Wanting to and doing are two different things.

Again, made him WHAT way? To initially NOTICE yes, that is the natural God given and altogether good urge. Without that urge, you wouldn't be married. No one would be.
But you're still going to need to show me where anyone is saying that dwelling on after the initial notice or the intentionally calling up of stored images is good.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Again...here you go

I didnt SAY her BOOK is not widely taught.

The books arent the problem, its that folks like you see things that arent there

Nevermind MK, whatever, you are correct, whatever you say
Yes, you did...

Yes its wrong. But its NOT widely taught. Its weird TBH

Ive never heard of that writer. I didnt spend time to dig into her, but i will, is she advocating this, or kooks posting on her forum?

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:argh: nevermind...

Nevermind what? You seem to be equating two very different things, the God given and very natural tendency to notice and everything that MAY come after that.

It's a distinction that is very often missed, sometimes honestly, most of the time intentionally.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Again, made him WHAT way? To initially NOTICE yes, that is the natural God given and altogether good urge. Without that urge, you wouldn't be married. No one would be.
But you're still going to need to show me where anyone is saying that dwelling on after the initial notice or the intentionally calling up of stored images is good.
I take it that the way the author is saying men ARE created is to "notice" the way the group of men all did. I realize you see my view as "flawed"....but, her book semed to be focusing on the fact that many of her "trusted" male friends would have had the same thoughts when watching the female presenter...thoughts like:

"I wonder what she has on under that suit"

"Look at her face...her face...look at her face"

"I am finding it difficult to concentrate on what she is saying...."

"I wonder what she is like in bed."

THAT is what she seems to be saying is how men are created.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nevermind what? You seem to be equating two very different things, the God given and very natural tendency to notice and everything that MAY come after that.

It's a distinction that is very often missed, sometimes honestly, most of the time intentionally.
Stop it, Chaz.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, you did...

Maybe you misunderstood what he said? No that can't possibly be, you're never wrong when it comes to what someone else said.

But for the record it seemed obvious to me that what he was saying was not widely taught is the idea that it's normal and good for men to store and call up for later use images of women. And it's not only not widely taught, it's not even what Feldman is teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I take it that the way the author is saying men ARE created is to "notice" the way the group of men all did. I realize you see my view as "flawed"....but, her book semed to be focusing on the fact that many of her "trusted" male friends would have had the same thoughts when watching the female presenter...thoughts like:

THAT is what she seems to be saying is how men are created.

Let me ask this. Have you ever woken up in a just plain crabby mood? Nothing has happened yet to put you in that mood you are just in a bad mood? Did you choose that mood or did it just happen? Now, you can certainly choose what you do next. You can choose to hold on to the mood and snap and snarl at everyone you run into for the day. Or you can try to get yourself into a better mood and failing that you can try to control your reactions throughout the day. Now is the initial bad mood a sin? Nope.

Not an identical situation but pretty similar.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Stop it, Chaz.

Stop what?

I honestly believe that the distinction between the initial, harlmess. God given, NORMAL, initial notice and dwweling,lusting, whatever is intentionally blurred a lot of the time.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Stop what?

I honestly believe that the distinction between the initial, harlmess. God given, NORMAL, initial notice and dwweling,lusting, whatever is intentionally blurred a lot of the time.
You aren't letting up on Lyndie...you are hounding her for answers.

I agree....and who do you feel benefits most from that blurring? Wouldn't the ones that benefit from the blur....create the blur?

Upvote 0
L

Lyndie

Lets change the topic a bit-
Women don't forget things. We remember what you said, how you said it, where you were when you said it. Especially if it was something we didn't like. For us, its 'normal' or the way we are made. What we need is for you men to take ownership of what you said and how it made us feel. But how many times are we told to 'forgive, let it go, don't hold bitterness etc.' Men aren't told to accept the way we are and to help us through it.
Can you see the difference?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask this. Have you ever woken up in a just plain crabby mood? Nothing has happened yet to put you in that mood you are just in a bad mood? Did you choose that mood or did it just happen? Now, you can certainly choose what you do next. You can choose to hold on to the mood and snap and snarl at everyone you run into for the day. Or you can try to get yourself into a better mood and failing that you can try to control your reactions throughout the day. Now is the initial bad mood a sin? Nope.

Not an identical situation but pretty similar.
A reaction to a dream is different than something that occurs when lucid and awake.

What was written in that book is more than just "noticing" to me....do you agree it is "noticing"?

Our minds will be transformed......based on what we dwell on...read...watch..listen to....people we spend time with.....basically feed our mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"visual Rolodex" > For Women and Men > Shaunti.com

Visual husband=hurt wife...what to do? > For Women and Men > Shaunti.com

This is a forum discussion about the book I was talking about and the visual Rolodex.Some of the comments make me sick to think that guys in the church think this is ok. I read half way through this book and gave it back to my former pastor's wife. If you read through the posts, you will also find that it becomes a wife's problem if she gets upset that he is checking out women. They tell HER to step it up(respecting him more, looking nicer, etc). I'm sorry but that's just wrong.

Yes its wrong. But its NOT widely taught. Its weird TBH

Ive never heard of that writer. I didnt spend time to dig into her, but i will, is she advocating this, or kooks posting on her forum?

Uh, I read the thread an it in NO WAY advocates these things....men and women rushed in to condemn them. You are, as i suspected, seeing things based on the mere MENTION of it. Read the posts that clarify the meaning intended by the authors words in her book, not someone (maybe the poster is YOU?) reading INTO it.

Id need to see the actual book text, and Im sure its not as you think
Cons...maybe you as a man don't hear it, simply because of the fact that you are a man, and it isn't directed towards you. It IS widely taught...I can promise you. Women aren't having the same delusion all across America...they ARE hearing it.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Lets change the topic a bit-
Women don't forget things. We remember what you said, how you said it, where you were when you said it. Especially if it was something we didn't like. For us, its 'normal' or the way we are made. What we need is for you men to take ownership of what you said and how it made us feel. But how many times are we told to 'forgive, let it go, don't hold bitterness etc.' Men aren't told to accept the way we are and to help us through it.
Can you see the difference?
Just thought I would "bump" this question forward.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

THAT is what she seems to be saying is how men are created. Do you agree that is what "noticing" is, Chaz?
And this one.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A reaction to a dream is different than something that occurs when lucid and awake.

What was written in that book is more than just "noticing" to me....do you agree it is "noticing"?

Our minds will be transformed......based on what we dwell on...read...watch..listen to....people we spend time with.....basically feed our mind.

Where did I say the bad mood was the result of a dream? In any case, the initial noticing is an involuntary automatic thing. That some women can't understand that and insist on portraying even the initial notice as lust and a sin is a HUGE problem.

And yes what's described in the book is more than noticing, but the more than noticing part is also shown to be something that men should work to resist, not something that is good and normal.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.